Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone have or have used a Grayboe stock/chassis?

Looking at getting the Neo in M81 Woodland for my R700 5R .308

https://www.grayboe.com/products/neo...39428827742370

Name:  6A04AD12-D465-40EA-A928-B30BE8294723.jpeg
Views: 858
Size:  165.9 KB

Comes ready to accept AICS mags; M5 bottom metal already integrated along with MLOK attachment points.

I’ve currently got a Magpul Hunter stock (came on rifle) and it’ll get me by for the time being until I’m ready to start shooting it in tactical rifle matches

There was a good review about another Grayboe stock on the Hide but this one is a little more along the lines of what I’m looking for

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're willing to broaden to the discussion to why you like this stock, and what other options might be out there, I'd love to hear your (and other's) thoughts. I've had a Hunter stock on my 700 5R for a while and it never was completely comfortable on my cheek. The comb of the stock was a little to "pointy" with how it fit against my face. I'd like to find another option, but I don't really want to spend $1000+ on a stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    If you're willing to broaden to the discussion to why you like this stock, and what other options might be out there, I'd love to hear your (and other's) thoughts. I've had a Hunter stock on my 700 5R for a while and it never was completely comfortable on my cheek. The comb of the stock was a little to "pointy" with how it fit against my face. I'd like to find another option, but I don't really want to spend $1000+ on a stock.
    Well, it looks expensive but when compared with popular options, it’s really not

The MDT LSS-XL is a very close competitor at $499, but when you add the $300 buttstock it needs that it doesn’t come with, then you’re already at $799 whereas the Grayboe stock comes ready to use at $699.

KRG stocks like the Bravo are fine but I personally am not going to ditch an aluminum reinforced polymer stock for another one for $400. The cheek comb on the Magpul isn’t the best but I pulled a little sleeve on mine and put a small piece of foam in it. Helps the feel but I don’t like it on there a whole lot

Oryx chassis is around $400, comes ready to accept mags and comes ready to go but an extra few hundred bucks to get what I really like the look of...buy once cry once and all that I guess

For $699 out the door with free shipping, the Grayboe is a pretty good deal

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it looks expensive but when compared with popular options, it’s really not
    I guess that's what I was getting at. My post was poorly worded. That's why I was curious why this one stood out (other than price).

Given it's a regular AR pistol grip, any ideas if there's a place for your shooting hand thumb to rest? I'm often shooting an AR with my thumb on the strong side in certain positions when doing precision work, and it looks like that might be needed with this setup as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess that's what I was getting at. My post was poorly worded. That's why I was curious why this one stood out (other than price).

Given it's a regular AR pistol grip, any ideas if there's a place for your shooting hand thumb to rest? I'm often shooting an AR with my thumb on the strong side in certain positions when doing precision work, and it looks like that might be needed with this setup as well.
    Itll accept an AR style grip but ive seen them with more traditional vertical grips also. Looks like an integrated thumb rest on the right side in line with the safety

Name:  49E276BB-96CA-4AFD-B2EC-36FF726501D7.jpeg
Views: 693
Size:  622.8 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not a fan of using spacers for LOP adjustments. Truly the only adjustment Ive ever changed once rifle is set up. Eye relief is critical on high magnification optics and I adjust LOP when I layer clothes in the winter. Too much $$ to be playing with spacers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Grayboe seems pretty expensive for what is. As Sinner stated, I believe the LOP adjustment without spacers is the way to go. MDT is a solid company and they produce high quality equipment. I use their adjustable grip on an XLR chassis (work rifle). I had tried to use their stock and folder on the XLR as well, but unfortunately the XLR interface for the folder was proprietary and I could not use it. An MDT chassis was on my list for a new build, but since going down the rabbit hole of actions and barrels I’m just going to go AI. The XLR is another option perhaps, and one could use an XLR buttstock on a Sharps Bros. Chassis too. In any case, let us know what you settle on and how it works out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen a lot of guys fix that with something like an ABD pad and some Coban. That might sound ghetto, but it works for dudes way better at that stuff than me, so I considered it a hot tip for fitment issues.

PS: Coban can be had in many different colors, especially since the gun crowd took to it. You can even get black multicam if you want to pay "glorified" prices.

PPS: Maybe some really dense foam like Ferno head Immobilizer blocks would work for fine tuning the height.. Actually, a chin/forehead strap foam would be just about perfect for the top of the comb.
    Last edited by Joelski; 28 August 2021 at 16:47.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently submitted a Form 1 for a R700 on a KDG chassis. The only reason I got it was it folded. I'm curious to see any further discussion on what makes one bolt gun chassis better than another, and what features are desireable... as I have limited knowledge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I recently submitted a Form 1 for a R700 on a KDG chassis. The only reason I got it was it folded. I'm curious to see any further discussion on what makes one bolt gun chassis better than another, and what features are desireable... as I have limited knowledge.
    Not that I'm some expert but it definitely depends on the discipline of shooting. F Class is going to be different than PRS which would also be different than benchrest.

I'm no expert but I've been reading and observing about bolt guns for a while now. There are some cool videos out there showing what people get and why. It's definitely been a learning experience. From what I gather folding stocks are more about transportation than anything.

A lot of people really want to customize their stuff based on very specific needs. They can add weights or move them around to create balance. There is a lot of people that look into recoil management. Offset butt pads that are adjustable as well as the actual design can have "flex" when it's not wanted and about 100 other things all get considered.

General use rifles might look a tad bit different than something like an FClass rifle. Big fat stocks ride in rests or on bags better but you might not even be able to add a bipod to it.

In a lot of cases I don't think the answer is "better" but rather "more suited for a specific thing".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I recently submitted a Form 1 for a R700 on a KDG chassis.
    KDG or KRG? Admittedly it was a quick look, but I didn't see a chassis listing on the KDG site.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    The Grayboe seems pretty expensive for what is. As Sinner stated, I believe the LOP adjustment without spacers is the way to go. MDT is a solid company and they produce high quality equipment. I use their adjustable grip on an XLR chassis (work rifle). I had tried to use their stock and folder on the XLR as well, but unfortunately the XLR interface for the folder was proprietary and I could not use it. An MDT chassis was on my list for a new build, but since going down the rabbit hole of actions and barrels I’m just going to go AI. The XLR is another option perhaps, and one could use an XLR buttstock on a Sharps Bros. Chassis too. In any case, let us know what you settle on and how it works out.
    Can you give an example of something identical but cheaper?

For example, a comparable MDT chassis is $500 without the stock, which is another $300. Not sharpshooting you so to speak but for a solid aluminum chassis versus an aluminum reinforced polymer stock like KRG Bravo (and other KRGs for example I don’t like the misaligned polymer sections I see on all their stocks), the price seems pretty decent for all the ones I’ve looked at recently

I like the XLR Element and with the cheaper stock added its very similar in price ($650). Price isn’t the end all be all here but if at $699 OTD it’s expensive I’m just looking at the wrong things I guess

And as far as the spacer vs thumb screw LOP adjustment...granted i have more experience with fixed stocks on bolt guns rather than adjustable, but if I’m setting it and leaving it alone, I don’t see the issue unless it’s more a matter of minute/down to the precise millimeter of fitment. If that’s the case then I can see why the infinite adjustment is preferred depending on the amount of adjustment needed

I definitely haven’t bought anything yet and I’m still researching options

Downloads
    Uploads
    Went back and looked a little more in depth at the XLR Element 4.0. Had some options I really liked that were very similar to the Grayboe stock but I liked the longer forend and the additional thumb rest that could be moved around

XLR’s lead time is 12-18 weeks. Ouch. Wonder if I can find it in stock anywhere? Their .Mil program took 10% off which was cool of them

I’ll need a new Arisaka barricade stop...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure what your tripod situation is but the Arca rail machined into the chassis is nice as well. I’ve dropped all use of my hog saddles and am utilizing the Arca on everything. Area 419 added some extra to it in the ArcaLock if you have to add a rail to a chassis that doesn’t have it.

I ran across the Woox chassis systems a while back too as another option. I have no experience with it though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    KDG or KRG? Admittedly it was a quick look, but I didn't see a chassis listing on the KDG site.
    You're right, it is KRG, but had KDG on my mind.