Downloads
    Uploads

Rattle can camo detail thread

This will be a work in progress as I get photos together. Starting to detail the more in-depth jobs I’ve done on my rifles and will get to the laundry bag mesh camo later

For my latest job (Rem 700 chassis), i printed out samples of the camo I want to copy (woodland bdu here)

I get a few sheets of wax paper and totally coat them in high quality painters tape and draw/trace on the shapes I want to use and cut them out with a razor:

Since black is my background here, I lay the stencils down for what I want to be black, then spray light color down (khaki, sand etc). Let that cure. Cheap tape will draw up when the paint dries, and this can ruin clean edges

Lay your next group of stencils and put one of your darker colors:

I didn’t take a photo of the brown, but if you want your last colors to blend, just do alternating rows of the color. I wanted crisp lines so once the green dried, I taped over several inch sections with random cuts on the outer sides to divide it up.

Fin!

For black multicam, I used a similar method, just had to do much smaller stencils

Covering the black:

Alternating slate and the drab green as close to colors specified by Crye

Once this dried and I removed the tape, I MISTED it with black in areas to blend it/diffuse the crisp lines like you’d see the fades/transitions in Black MC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tips

I wear gloves and wipe the whole rifle down with 70% ISO. I don’t soak it, but I use a cotton ball and wear gloves to prevent finger prints. Also, wipe off as much gun oil prior to this

Also, if you use a non-“camo” paint for a specific color, you may want to do a matte clear coat to knock down any shine from a satin paint or whatever. Make sure your paint has CURED because these clear coats can make the paint look like it’s got a white dusty texture. It can wipe off with gentle brush of a rag (not paper towel) but only if the paint is cured

Feel free to ask questions or ask for specific photos of whatever. I can either find one to answer or recreate it pretty easily

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nicely done!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great work man. Your camo work is always top notch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This looks great. I really like the black multicam.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Love them both. Long experience says if I tried that I would not be taking pictures.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are two examples of signature reducing camo jobs more in line with a duty rig:

Laundry bag camo is easier. Just pick the size of your desired mesh and go to town

The closer you hold the can, the more crisp your lines will be. The further you hold the can, the more the lines will be blurred. Too close and too far is bad, IMO. Practice on an old pellet rifle or toy gun or something to get your desired effect

Large mesh

Small mesh

Downloads
    Uploads
    And lastly, for a straight up “in the woods” rifle, you can use what’s common for your surroundings. Since we live in pine tree hell, go grab some pine needles (grocery sack full) and use the mesh bag technique with distance.

If you live somewhere up NW, you can use fir branches or something, or down in Florida, some palm fronds and lighter greens.

Here’s my squirrel getter and old 16” .308 I no longer have

Also, not my photo but Im trying to find a winter camo job that was a big inspiration

Edit here it is from a guy in Finland:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good stuff, thanks Bravo!

Here's a tip: hit up Hobby Lobby and grab a roll of frisket paper. It's purpose made for masking and replicates your wax paper/tape in one product. It should give you impressively crisp lines too, since that's what it's made for. I use it for silk screen stencils.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Frisket paper. I’ll have to check that out, thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see you took my old thread to heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Here's a tip: hit up Hobby Lobby and grab a roll of frisket paper. It's purpose made for masking and replicates your wax paper/tape in one product. It should give you impressively crisp lines too, since that's what it's made for. I use it for silk screen stencils.
    I have not heard of frisket paper either, will have to look into that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    You just need to get that FFL going and do this on the side