Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question about AR lower finishes

I bought a brand new lower from CMT and the inside of it was not fully finished with whatever coating they use. Because of the location of it cosmetically I am not worried about it, but I am wondering if there are any other 'possible' things I should worry about such as corrosion or whatever? If so I will need to contact them.

The rest if the finish looks good. Functionally I don't think I should be concerned about it but I am throwing this out there just in case and for 2nd opinions.

Name:  IMG_20211020_152249836.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  3.28 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just my $0.02, but corrosion shouldn't be a problem with an aluminum receiver. Birchwood Casey makes an Aluminum Black that will "stain" the unfinished portion. I would use that, if it were me. You could send it back, and they will make it right, but you're out of the usage while the fix is being done. Hope this helps.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Just my $0.02, but corrosion shouldn't be a problem with an aluminum receiver. Birchwood Casey makes an Aluminum Black that will "stain" the unfinished portion. I would use that, if it were me. You could send it back, and they will make it right, but you're out of the usage while the fix is being done. Hope this helps.
    If it won't corrode then it's in a place that will be inside of the gun. Everything else appears good.

This is probably my 10th order (or more) from them. I will email them just to see what they say.

Not super concerned other than it's a $250 lower. These things happen. Once the gun is together though you cannot see it even if you separate the upper and lower.

I don't know jack squat about metals though so I want to make sure corrosion won't be an issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it were mine I’d do what jerry said. Dab in the aluminum black, let dry and repeat until dark enough. It works great on engraved SBR lettering.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should send them a photo and have them replace it. You paid a premium price and you should expect it to be perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You should send them a photo and have them replace it. You paid a premium price and you should expect it to be perfect.
    Yes. This. For the price I should get a premium product. I already emailed them with a photo. We will see what they say.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Trapped air when submerged in the anodizing tank. That location and inside the bolt catch pocket are 2 common areas. No implications other than appearance. These days I'm not sure I'd consider CMT's pricing as premium for a billet lower. Premium for forged these days, maybe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like that counts as a cosmetic blemish that should not be sold at full retail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess after paying more for forged Knight's and LMT's with a much worse finish than I've ever seen from CMT I'm more realistic about incidental finish imperfections than most.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Seems like that counts as a cosmetic blemish that should not be sold at full retail.
    This is the crux of the issue. I paid full retail for it. I am sure it will work just fine but it should have been put in the scratch and dent sale bin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Trapped air when submerged in the anodizing tank. That location and inside the bolt catch pocket are 2 common areas. No implications other than appearance. These days I'm not sure I'd consider CMT's pricing as premium for a billet lower. Premium for forged these days, maybe.
    Personally, I'd just use it, but you and I aren't most people, you have dozens of lowers and a few hundred dollars is a minor purchase to you. This isn't the norm though. I don't blame people for wanting a first quality lower when they pay retail for one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I guess after paying more for forged Knight's and LMT's with a much worse finish than I've ever seen from CMT I'm more realistic about incidental finish imperfections than most.
    I hear ya there. My KAC lower looked like Chuck Norris borrowed it for target practice and he wiped out the Taliban during his lunch break. Although not a fan of fake MOJO, I am a fan of MOJO, even it got picked up in the plush KAC storage dumpster.. errr vault before somebody decided it was cheaper to sell them than melt them down.. and I'mgood with that.

But yeah, if it bugs you, the price should buy you the right to be satisfied with your purchase, regardless of where, or how much. That's consumerism.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I heard back from CMT. They said they do not consider this as a blemish because it will be completely covered up and that it will not degrade over time.

They said this happened because of a bubble forming during the dying part of the anodizing process and it will not degrade over time. "The surface is anodized with no concern for corrosion"

Overall I think it will never be seen again and if it won't degrade then whatever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wait, so even though you paid for it, and there was a definite and irrefutable issue with its finish, they’re not going to refinish it or do… anything for you because they don’t consider it blemished, even though it is, just because of its location?

Man, way to get your company smote from the consideration pile with all the other myriad options available…
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Wait, so even though you paid for it, and there was a definite and irrefutable issue with its finish, they’re not going to refinish it or do… anything for you because they don’t consider it blemished, even though it is, just because of its location?

Man, way to get your company smote from the consideration pile with all the other myriad options available…
    I'm kinda torn. On one hand it will never be seen by anyone unless I change triggers. For all practical intents and purposes it won't matter. This is assuming they are correct regarding there won't be any corrosion which I have no basis to say otherwise.

On the other hand this is not a $79 receiver. That should not be that way. Not at all.

I'm kinda going back and forth. Is it a small issue? Yes. But at the same time it's not cool to sell it at full price when it is flawed.

This is my 4th CMT build and they have been really nice people so I'm reluctant to be an asshole about it, especially since in the end it won't matter and it will be covered up forever.