I’ve been kicking around the idea of setting up something of a DMR or Battle Rifle. Figuring something for 0-800’ish and am eyeballing both .308 and 6.5CM.

I’ve never ventured out of 5.56 for AR’s save for one .300BLK, and am thinking about spreading my wings (and my range).

I’m looking at the Scar 17, LMT, V7 Harbinger, SR-25, and even the Desert Tech MDR. Not opposed to other modern suggestions. I’m not looking for a CETME.

This would be for suppressed usage.

I vaguely remember handling an MDR a few years ago and feeling underwhelmed, but the thought of a 20” barreled .308 or 6.5 with a shorter OAL than my 12.5” SBR definitely has appeal.

This was all brought on over time just observing my environment. There’s a lot of opportunity for a 5.56 to run out of steam. I live in the suburbs of north Texas and even if for whatever reason I needed to take a shot down the street, even that’s roughly a quarter mile. Looking around, shots both closer, and more to the point of a DMR/Battle Rifle, further, wouldn’t be hard to imagine. It’s pretty flat around here but there is a lot of both cover an concealment.

What do you all have? What do you like and what considerations should I be taking?