Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Suppressor Upgrade?

This is a help me spend my money thread :)

Just wanted to hear from you guys about it before I jump on it.

My first 5.56 can is a Recce 5 Mod 3. I have a Recce 5 Mod 4 as well. And a Recce 7 Mod 4.

The Mod 4 is quieter than the Mod 3 and has less back pressure.

Now Griffin offers an upgrade service to allow me to get the new eco flow baffles on existing cans.

The difference between a regular Mod 4 and the Eco Flow baffles equates to about 3 to 4 DB reduction (and reduced back pressure) from the Mod 4 to the new Eco Flow baffles. That is 3 or 4 DB at the muzzle AND at the ear using their standardized testing seen on YouTube. (Same ammo, same host, same machine, indoor sound booth, all calibrated, etc)

I know I did my 9mm can into the new Eco Flow baffles for that caliber and the difference was definitely noticeable. I'm really glad I did that one.

So, for a 3 to 4 DB reduction across the board on a 5.56 can (and even more than that going from a Mod 3) would you think it would be worth it to upgrade?

The cost I think is just north of $200, maybe $250 if I recall correctly. That would take my Mod 3 up to the very latest generation and if I decide to do the Mod 4 it would be the same thing.

What say you?

I'm thinking about just starting with one, the oldest one (Mod 3) and seeing how it goes from there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    This is a help me spend my money thread :)

Just wanted to hear from you guys about it before I jump on it.

My first 5.56 can is a Recce 5 Mod 3. I have a Recce 5 Mod 4 as well. And a Recce 7 Mod 4.

The Mod 4 is quieter than the Mod 3 and has less back pressure.

Now Griffin offers an upgrade service to allow me to get the new eco flow baffles on existing cans.

The difference between a regular Mod 4 and the Eco Flow baffles equates to about 3 to 4 DB reduction (and reduced back pressure) from the Mod 4 to the new Eco Flow baffles. That is 3 or 4 DB at the muzzle AND at the ear using their standardized testing seen on YouTube. (Same ammo, same host, same machine, indoor sound booth, all calibrated, etc)

I know I did my 9mm can into the new Eco Flow baffles for that caliber and the difference was definitely noticeable. I'm really glad I did that one.

So, for a 3 to 4 DB reduction across the board on a 5.56 can (and even more than that going from a Mod 3) would you think it would be worth it to upgrade?

The cost I think is just north of $200, maybe $250 if I recall correctly. That would take my Mod 3 up to the very latest generation and if I decide to do the Mod 4 it would be the same thing.

What say you?

I'm thinking about just starting with one, the oldest one (Mod 3) and seeing how it goes from there.
    They are upgrading welded cans? isn't that basically giving you a new can with your serial number re-engraved, or do they actually break the welds?

I need to upgrade the baffles for my Paladin and Revolution, but I'm not sure I'd mess with the Recce 5.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes they are doing new baffles for existing users including sealed cans. From a mod 4 to the eco baffles are the numbers that I put up above. Going from the previous generation (mod 3) it should be even better.

It would definitely be like a brand new can. I'm pretty sure they will cut it and re baffle it vs just trying to do a brand new one with new engraving. I don't know if they can legally re engrave a new one with your number on it but who knows.

They have a bunch of new baffle designs that they let existing owners upgrade to. You have to look at their site and see if your can has an upgrade yet.

Definitely the 9mm was a great improvement. Not only do the baffles on the 9mm lock together a lot better than the old ones, it is definitely more quiet.

I described it like this before: can you tell a sound difference between the full length 9mm can and the K version? If so that's roughly the gain in performance from the old baffles to the new ones using the same can orientation.

In my opinion it's definitely worth it for 9mm.

I will probably do just the Mod 3 and shoot it side by side with the others and see if it's worth it to do the others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know that in sound reinforcement, you have to double your wattage to net a 3 db gain in volume. Typical PA systems can range in power from 1,000 watts for a small pub setting up to 100k+ Watt flying rigs at major venues. The moral of the story is sound is horrifically expensive to increase in volume; it seems that your upgrade would be a bargain applying that logic.

This contributes nothing to your quest, but I say fucking go for it!

This has me wondering if my Alpha/Paladin would qualify for the upgrade. They came out with the ecoflow technology during the time my can was in the AFT gulag and I was pissed to have an obsolete silencer the moment I took possession of it. I know it's not their fault, and the blame lies squarely at the feet of the cool toy gestapo. It doesn't make it a less bitter pill.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    This has me wondering if my Alpha/Paladin would qualify for the upgrade. They came out with the ecoflow technology during the time my can was in the AFT gulag and I was pissed to have an obsolete silencer the moment I took possession of it.
    Yes it does.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/pala...affle-upgrade/

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a side note I particularly appreciate Griffin taking into account existing users in their business plans/products. It's one thing to get a total new person into the NFA/silencer thing... but existing customers don't have to buy all new stuff with this model, which is a definite plus for consumers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a side note I particularly appreciate Griffin taking into account existing users in their business plans/products. It's one thing to get a total new person into the NFA/silencer thing... but existing customers don't have to buy all new stuff with this model, which is a definite plus for consumers.
    I agree.

On a side note to the side note, Griffin also just started a discount program for MIL/LEO/First Responders:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/prom...general-issue/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I agree.

On a side note to the side note, Griffin also just started a discount program for MIL/LEO/First Responders:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/prom...general-issue/
    That program has been around a long time. Several years at least. I don't qualify for it but it's nice that they do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never noticed until they had the big flashy splash screen advertising it. Got signed up. It's nice that they, along with other places around the internet include first responders in their program. I haven't had a commission in years, and I never served in the military, but God dammit, I've been putting up with people's bullshit for 35 years!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That program has been around a long time. Several years at least. I don't qualify for it but it's nice that they do it.
    Ah, I didn't realize that it has been around for a while as that was the headline for a marketing email they sent out last week, so I presumed that it was new.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Ah, I didn't realize that it has been around for a while as that was the headline for a marketing email they sent out last week, so I presumed that it was new.
    I didn’t know it either until recently

It says redeem at local firearms dealers. Wonder how that works

I guess I could get my account validated and figure it out lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I didn’t know it either until recently

It says redeem at local firearms dealers. Wonder how that works

I guess I could get my account validated and figure it out lol
    I think you send in your credentials to Griffin and they approve you for the program. After that whatever dealer you prefer to use will also have to sign up for the program. I'm pretty sure it includes a contract about pricing and who can participate etc.

Once you and your dealer are signed up and approved they will form 3 the can (s) with a pre agreed upon price under a legally binding agreement so they don't abuse it.

If another dealer in your state has already signed up they might just go through them.

I'm almost 98% sure you can use it with Silencer Shop as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Or I can just buy it and form 3 it to my local class III dealer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Recce 5 upgrade is now available so I will probably send my oldest can in to get the newly upgraded baffles.

I don't have a firm timeline for sending it in, but maybe within the next week or two is probable.

They said it can take up to 30 days to receive the can back. Hopefully it lives up to the billing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m very curious to see how the upgrade is.

I’d like to do it but reeeeeally want to know how the new ones sound and perform etc

If it trimmed even a little bit of weight that would also be awesome but just a bonus