Downloads
    Uploads

Stuff that bites..(really)

This forum being dedicated to tactical (mostly) arms and technology, just wondering, does anyone else here hunt much. Just a good old bolt action rifle or a shotgun for fowl?

Especially game that can and is willing too hunt you also, and stomp a new *ss hole in you? I'm currently talking with a guy I've hunted with before, about 20 years ago, who owns two first class hunting camps in S. Africa. A cape buffalo is on my bucket list, along with a Grizzly (Montana, maybe)?, or Alaska. I don't meet too many people that are into that sort of thing, around here. Trying to book a trip, not this coming summer, but summer (their winter) after this coming summer.

I have to meet the one they call "Black Death" (Cape Buffalo) and see if he's as much of a bad ass as they say he is. Have hunted in grizzly country a few times, but never had a liscense to kill one, and not the right season anyway. But being in thick heavy stuff taller than me in griz country still gives me a bit of the shivers being there especially when you can hear brush being disturbed around you and can't see crap. I ve had some of the best and most memorable experiences in my life while hunting, even ordinary game. Still makes me laugh thinking about them, even though it wasn't too funny at the time.

I've shot a bunch of wild boar, and got tangled up with one, close call, that still makes my ahole pucker so tight you couldn't drive a pin up it with a jack hammer. Close call with a few others. I won't hunt them over bait or from a stand or blind, they aren't dangerous then especially when you get into the 500 plus weight class It's got to be on the ground, up close and personal. Going again soon. Probably down in TN in a couple of months when I'm completely healed from my surgery.

Share your stories, cool places to hunt, fav rifles, calibers, etc. Even "safe" stuff like deer, elk, small game,etc..

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not much of a hunter but I have nothing against it. I've obviously hunted before but in recent years not so much simply because the opportunity isn't there with all the other stuff I have going on.

I've eaten just about everything you can think of though. I can't think of anything that tasted bad

I've lived in Africa a couple of times. Once in South Africa and another in Kenya. I can say that I have been all over the place in both of those countries. In some of the other countries you can definitely get some good hunting in but it might not be as established as it is in South Africa. In general though South Africa is amazing. I've been to at least 70ish countries (maybe more) and people always ask me 'what are the best places?'... usually South Africa is in the top two or three on that list depending on who is asking and what they want to do.

I probably could have gone hunting over there a number of times but I just never took advantage of it. It's just like anywhere else in the sense that you need to go with people on the same page as you as far as what to do and what you are hunting etc. Most people envision a luxury experience and they definitely have that if you have the cash for it but it's not all like that.

Other places such as Namibia offer excellent hunting and it's fairly easy to get there and all that. Other countries also have great hunting but it's a lot more rough and not nearly as established depending on what kind of experience you want. That said in Africa in general they are kind of accustomed to the American hunters that are willing to drop $50,000 USD on a hunting experience and a lot of places cater to that crowd.

There is a minimum cost of entry and the prices quickly go up from there. It also really depends how athletic you are and how far off the beaten path you are willing to go.

All that said watch some of the hunting videos on the YouTube channel Impact Shooting. He makes some great videos.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am not much of a hunter but I have nothing against it. I've obviously hunted before but in recent years not so much simply because the opportunity isn't there with all the other stuff I have going on.

I've eaten just about everything you can think of though. I can't think of anything that tasted bad

I've lived in Africa a couple of times. Once in South Africa and another in Kenya. I can say that I have been all over the place in both of those countries. In some of the other countries you can definitely get some good hunting in but it might not be as established as it is in South Africa. In general though South Africa is amazing. I've been to at least 70ish countries (maybe more) and people always ask me 'what are the best places?'... usually South Africa is in the top two or three on that list depending on who is asking and what they want to do.

I probably could have gone hunting over there a number of times but I just never took advantage of it. It's just like anywhere else in the sense that you need to go with people on the same page as you as far as what to do and what you are hunting etc. Most people envision a luxury experience and they definitely have that if you have the cash for it but it's not all like that.

Other places such as Namibia offer excellent hunting and it's fairly easy to get there and all that. Other countries also have great hunting but it's a lot more rough and not nearly as established depending on what kind of experience you want. That said in Africa in general they are kind of accustomed to the American hunters that are willing to drop $50,000 USD on a hunting experience and a lot of places cater to that crowd.

There is a minimum cost of entry and the prices quickly go up from there. It also really depends how athletic you are and how far off the beaten path you are willing to go.

All that said watch some of the hunting videos on the YouTube channel Impact Shooting. He makes some great videos.
    The guy I'm going to go with has 2 camps, one in Zulu Land and one in Limpopo. They are pretty awesome to say the least. I can get great packages for a decent price, way less than the 50K some folks could drop for one, but closer to $20K. I'm glad I didn't live in South Africa. I would probably be flat broke all of the time.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper