Downloads
    Uploads

What's old is new again to me (quad rail)

Recently I was able to trade an Eotech G43 magnifier with Unity Omni Fast FTC mount for a BCM BFH 14.5 with P&W Surefire SFMB, QRF12, and a BCM BCG. I've already got a few Wardens and an RC2 so that SFMB isn't going to be bothering me or those next to me,

I haven't done a quad in a very long time, the last one I did was to stick a DD Omega 7 on my 6920 for a modern light mount host and retired it long ago after replacing it with the URX4. And before that it was either an issued M4 with KAC quad or an A2 with KAC M5 supporting the ninja wares for an M203 (now that rifle was heavy and I am saying this as a former M60 gunner)

Kind of funny. Mlok is supposed to be lighter but this incoming quad is lighter than the URX4's Mlok tube, haha.

I ordered just an Arisaka picatinny hand stop, the Zerobravo RHS clone lookalike. Already have a TRL1HL and an Aimpoint Duty doing absolutely nothing so along with a spare upper and a spare radian raptor SL, I should be good.

My plans are to keep this assembled upper as a spare ready to go and already zeroed. My thought process is that if a rifle goes down during a two gun or during a class, instead of fussing trying to figure out and fix I can push pins and be back in action to problem solve the other upper later when time allows.

Thoughts? My friends are telling me to just buy an MCMR and sell the quad. I dunno though. I just want to be done and not spending the money for realistically a spare part backup plan B.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the reason for going quad over a more recent alternative? If it's for nostalgia, that's fine, but might grow into it's own thing and spawn another competition rifle. I say rifle because the idea of a turn-key upper, while noble, almost never works out. It's a willpower thing and who can resist the opportunity to build-up a lower to go with the hot new upper? I know I can't, nor can many people on this forum.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cheese grader! I still remember why I got away from quad rails. They were great at shredding my hands and were bulky to say the least... I am a big fan of just adding small sections where needed but these days molk attacments have all but gotten rid of rails. Joelski is right, I have had a single tiny roll pin turn into a whole rifle before I knew what hit me, crazy how that happens...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    What's the reason for going quad over a more recent alternative? If it's for nostalgia, that's fine, but might grow into it's own thing and spawn another competition rifle. I say rifle because the idea of a turn-key upper, while noble, almost never works out. It's a willpower thing and who can resist the opportunity to build-up a lower to go with the hot new upper? I know I can't, nor can many people on this forum.
    Because it's a package deal that comes from a recent trade only because I wanted the G43 gone. Not interested in spending the money for an MCMR just to replace the QRF for what's really going to be is a backup assembled and zeroed upper with light and Aimpoint. I already have Mlok on my SHTF rifles, I see no point to make this one Mlok too just because.

Eh, I have the willpower. I have the parts along with lowers plus the spare optics, mounts and lights. However if I see an Aero upper and lower combo kit in something resembling M81 woodland or multicam in a local to me shop, I may have to just because I can and want to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Cheese grader! I still remember why I got away from quad rails. They were great at shredding my hands and were bulky to say the least... I am a big fan of just adding small sections where needed but these days molk attacments have all but gotten rid of rails. Joelski is right, I have had a single tiny roll pin turn into a whole rifle before I knew what hit me, crazy how that happens...
    I too used to cover it all up until I had realized one day that it was adding both bulk and more weight. Plus I have found that the top rails on even my Mlok's add to the gripping, never been cut by the KAC rails that were on my issued weapons or my DD Omega quad. I still have some Magpul rail ladders so if it comes to it I could apply cut sections to where my skin contacts the sides.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still like quads. I just throw ladder covers on the sections I'm holding.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I still like quads. I just throw ladder covers on the sections I'm holding.

Bingo. Also, don't buy cheap rails. As Stickman once said (I'm paraphrasing), more expensive rails usually have better machining and are therefore "smoother."

The biggest reason I still have a bunch of quad rails? Putting ladders on them is way cheaper than buying a bunch of new Mlok rails.