Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Geissele Barrels...

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything about it, even on the Industry Announcements board. Per their website, Geissele now has two cold hammer forges and is going to be offering barrels as a separate item in the near future. According to the site, the barrels are CMV, Chrome lined, and come in 10.3", 11.5", 14.5" and 16" lengths. Finish is manganese phosphate. Price for all sizes is a very affordable $270. I am looking forward to trying one, and expect the quality to be to the usual Geissele standards. With such a plunge into this niche, it's safe to say that DD and FN are no longer the main players, especially with the price. Here's hoping that G has been paying attention to the community and gives us a .68 gas port, although it's not against the law to shoot cheap, under-powered ammunition, so the port dimension is likely to stay in the .70 vicinity.

https://geissele.com/parts-tools/barrels.html
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Curious what the appeal is specifically.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alternative to a more expensive barrel of the same sort. Some rifles just need a black barrel and this isn't a huge jump from a BA stainless. The appeal of the durability of a CHF/CL barrel. I have a barrel that is seeing close to 14k rounds and is losing some accuracy, even for me, so I'm looking to give one a try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not trying to start anything.

But I’d look at proven stuff..

Criterion, Brt , Triarc, and I think Centurion , just off top of my head make what you want.

last upper assembled, used a criterion hybrid and so far very pleased.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Not trying to start anything.

But I’d look at proven stuff..

Criterion, Brt , Triarc, and I think Centurion , just off top of my head make what you want.

last upper assembled, used a criterion hybrid and so far very pleased.
    Been waiting a while on a certain criterion barrel and still have 6+ months to go…

It’s my fault though because I want a specific length

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're not starting a thing, man. I know those are fine barrels. Price isn't everything, but its a factor and I feel like Geissele is leveraging their market penetration to join the game at the stated price. Will it last? No idea. Is it enough to inspire a guy to step up from a less expensive barrel? Probably, at least for certain parts of the demo. I don't have proof talent. Rosco has barrels somewhere in the military, but at that price, you know they aren't making long range assassin barrels.

I'd probably give my money to Centurion out of that group, but I want the thing while I'm still able to shoot. G is bringing capacity (which gives some assurance of availability), specs, and price point.

Like I said, if it's a loser, I'm not out a fortune. If it's a performer, I saved half of what you paid. Either way, I ain't gonna do the "just as good as" thing. A good product makes its own rep.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Former11b-What length u looking for?

Joel…not half cheaper then mine..I don’t pay retail..lol

And twice the price, then look at the carbon fiber options..

Monies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    G has been making barrels longer than I realized - I never really noticed. It seems to me that the really hard part of this is a really good chrome lining process. CL gives longevity, but generally you expect to lose some accuracy; however, a few companies out there seemed to have figured out how to produce a really accurate CL barrel but you typically "pay up". The only one I have direct experience with is LMT and I've been really impressed with their 5.56 barrel and the reputation of their .308 CL barrels is excellent. I'm curious if G is doing their own chrome. I'd be more likely to buy one if I knew they were sending them out to someone with the track record (FN?). If they are doing it themselves, I'd give it a few years and let the results come in.

All that said, I view CL as a bit of a manufacturing relic. My understanding is that the nitride process provides as good or better hardness but the process is much cheaper and easier to master, which is why you can get surprisingly good barrels and surprisingly good prices these days. I don't really get caught up in CL vs Nitride anymore, just pick someone who knows what they are doing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    G has been making barrels longer than I realized - I never really noticed. It seems to me that the really hard part of this is a really good chrome lining process. CL gives longevity, but generally you expect to lose some accuracy; however, a few companies out there seemed to have figured out how to produce a really accurate CL barrel but you typically "pay up". The only one I have direct experience with is LMT and I've been really impressed with their 5.56 barrel and the reputation of their .308 CL barrels is excellent. I'm curious if G is doing their own chrome. I'd be more likely to buy one if I knew they were sending them out to someone with the track record (FN?). If they are doing it themselves, I'd give it a few years and let the results come in.

All that said, I view CL as a bit of a manufacturing relic. My understanding is that the nitride process provides as good or better hardness but the process is much cheaper and easier to master, which is why you can get surprisingly good barrels and surprisingly good prices these days. I don't really get caught up in CL vs Nitride anymore, just pick someone who knows what they are doing.
    Pappabear over on M4C has been liking his new Geissele rifle so far, and I have to assume that by now, they're shipping with home-made barrels. He's a guy I look at as a relatively serious precision shooter of some stripe, or at least he talks a good game; it is the internet, after all. :) There's a thread over there with lots of decent feedback on rifles and uppers, and I won't claim factory built status for my gun, but I can run a mean torque wrench (as well as head-spacing and castle nut staking) just as good as John Noveske's old crew.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    And this is why I looked at the Rosco barrel for my Geissele build. Aside from the fact that G wasn't, and still isn't offering barrels (yet), the barrel I bought was found on BAD's website, and I sorta crossed my fingers and hoped it would be a decent offering, considering the overall quality, and they (again, hopefully) wouldn't throw their rep away on garbage barrels. So far, what I've read is more good than bad and no shitshows with the Rosco stuff, so maybe they are a legit maker, at least as good as BA and way better than those hundred dollar things you can find all over the auction sites.

Edit: oops! The Rosco is nitrided on the outside and barrel extension, and chrome lined bore. To their credit, they do claim to have a more realistic port diameter. That said, nothing helps a DI system as much as an AGB.
    Last edited by Joelski; 24 March 2022 at 13:56.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking for a 13.9” Criterion

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope Bill knows how to make barrels better than he does sourcing chinesium optics.

I think it's interesting that G cannot keep a lot of their current stuff in stock, but decides to go out and start making CHF Barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think it's interesting that G cannot keep a lot of their current stuff in stock, but decides to go out and start making CHF Barrels.
    The overall G catalog seems to suffer from this, even pre-COVID. If you want 3 or 4 triggers, you're good, but otherwise all of the extra stuff is back-ordered...but more product gets introduced. And we never did see those commercial 416 bolts come to light.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    The overall G catalog seems to suffer from this, even pre-COVID. If you want 3 or 4 triggers, you're good, but otherwise all of the extra stuff is back-ordered...but more product gets introduced. And we never did see those commercial 416 bolts come to light.
    Been looking to get a 10.3" upper, the near clone version, but it's perpetually backordered / out of stock. I know I've missed a few drops, but I feel uppers shouldn't be in a short suppy. Seems like there was nothing wrong with just sourcing DD barrels for this. I guess if I ran/owed a multi-million dollar operation, I'd run it the way I saw fit, instead of getting my advice from the internet.

Heh... totally forgot about those commercial 416 bolts gator!

Downloads
    Uploads
    In case anyone is interested. 16" version in stock at Rainier:

https://www.rainierarms.com/geissele...ned-barrel-16/