Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR-556

Downloads
    Uploads

Ruger SR-556

Ruger has released a 5.56 AR platform--the SR-556. Comes with Troy sights and rail, Hogue grip, Ruger barrel, piston, and more. Does anyone have one of these yet? If so, how does it perform and price?

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satelli...w+Ruger+SR-556
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should have one in a week or two and I'll be shooting a few thousand rounds through it. My co-workers will as well.

I'll write a review of it.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who makes it for them?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Who makes it for them?
    Doing more digging, but it might be their own.
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    Says on their website they make their own 41V45 barrel. The piston is chrome-plated, barrel is chrome-lined, bolt carrier is chrome-plated, regulator is chrome-plated, and gas block is chrome-lined. The piston they use has a 4-position adjustable regulator, 2-stage piston. Suggested rifle retail = $2K

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR556/index.html

Troy Ind. also prides itself on their parts (Rail/sights) on this Ruger, and they call it a Ruger- http://www.troyind.com/
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure Ruger makes the barrels, but the heart of that weapon is that going to be the piston, and I don't believe that is theirs. Not that there is anything wrong with that, there are plenty of companies that do this, and the few that make most everything themselves are few and far between.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It'll be interesting with that price tag to see how it competes.
    -BC

"I would never have a 7.62 as my primary home defense weapon. I mean by all means if I'm cleaning a 7.62 and some d-bag busts down my door I'll give him a bad day"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whose piston is this? http://www.gunsandhunting.com/forum/...ogentry&id=642

The Ruger operator's manual for this weapon says the Piston is a Ruger Piston: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/In...Manuals/68.pdf

More pics: http://www.gunsandhunting.com/forum/...php?m=5&y=2009
    Last edited by federalist22; 25 May 2009 at 07:49. Reason: added photo
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I should have one in a week or two and I'll be shooting a few thousand rounds through it. My co-workers will as well.

I'll write a review of it.
    Looking forward to seeing it. Curious about how it performs. If this is their step out of the Mini14 hole it would do well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by federalist22 View Post
    Suggested rifle retail = $2K
    That might be a tough sell at that price point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m24shooter View Post

That might be a tough sell at that price point.
    That just means at most decently priced gunshops you'll see it actually sell for about $1700-1800
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hopefully. I saw two stripped RRA lowers at a LGS marked at $200 recently.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think we are starting to see a pretty large slow in the weapon push. All of the people who were buying in a panic have paid their prices, and bought things. Now we are looking at supply starting (just by a little) to catch up.

I think Ruger is a little late to the game, but the PDs that issue Mini-14s will probably be able to get a trade in towards these Ruger AR variants. That might be their angle....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Ruger is a little late to the game,but the PDs that issue Mini-14s will probably be able to get a trade in towards these Ruger AR variants. That might be their angle....
    OR..... Maybe our Sheriff Dept some day, once the financial crunch has passed of course. I cant stand the Mini-14 as a fighting rifle, maybe behind the seat of a pickup truck, but not in a fight.
    "God made Cops, so Firemen could have Heroes."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think we are starting to see a pretty large slow in the weapon push. All of the people who were buying in a panic have paid their prices, and bought things. Now we are looking at supply starting (just by a little) to catch up.

I think Ruger is a little late to the game, but the PDs that issue Mini-14s will probably be able to get a trade in towards these Ruger AR variants. That might be their angle....
    Yes Stick you are correct guns sales have peaked and now have been slowing for the last 3-4 weeks. Some things are still pretty hard to get, things like Kimbers, Glock 9mms and small 2-4" .38 and .357 revolvers. Ammo is catching up but .25, .32, .380, 9mm, and .45 ammo is still very hard to get in anything but a few different hollowpoints. We haven't had .380 for about 3.5 months.

I to believe that Ruger will target the agencies using the Mini-14 and very likely the Bureau of Prisons who've used it for sometime. S&W was successful is selling them M&P pistol since they had been using S&W revolvers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure Ruger makes the barrels, but the heart of that weapon is that going to be the piston, and I don't believe that is theirs. Not that there is anything wrong with that, there are plenty of companies that do this, and the few that make most everything themselves are few and far between.
    addax said it looked like an adams arms piston kit. he's apparently tested all the piston kits out there, i was inclined to believe him when he said it looked exactly like an adams arms.

the bolts look similar
    Last edited by trinydex; 26 May 2009 at 09:12.