Downloads
    Uploads

Enclosed Emitter RDS vs Traditional

I am considering swapping out my current pistol red dot (507k X2) for one of the newer fully enclosed EPS Carry versions (also from Holosun).

Keep in mind I'm not being a latest and greatest gear guy. I however was thinking about replacing the one I have now and moving the "old one" to a new gun.

I will need to get a second optic one way or another so that's really a moot point. It's really just a matter of what I ultimately will get.

What I am asking about is, in your opinion are fully enclosed optics really that much better than the traditional designs? If given the chance to go with a fully enclosed optic would you do so and why or why not?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the 507K not doing it's job? Or just peace of mind?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    It's doing its job just fine. I am planning on putting a red dot on a second pistol that has the exact same footprint as 507k and one of the new enclosed dots.

I will need to buy another optic regardless so my options are as of now to get another 507K or get one of the new enclosed ones.

I'm kind of wondering/asking if for an EDC if the enclosed one would offer any major benefits (or not) which would possibly dictate what I buy in the end.

The new pistol will be a P322 so whatever I use on that is fine. The thought process as of now is, since I already have a 507k to move it over and put an enclosed one on my EDC.

Before I do it though I was wondering if anyone had anything major to say good or bad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    About the only pros that I can think of is the enclosed one will help with stuff not getting in the optic and/or maybe fogging issues.

It's not going to be a common thing but it will be a lot more likely that I will have my EDC with me even in really bad weather hence the idea of the enclosed dot.

That said I've never had a single problem with my 507k.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a P322 so I was in the market for another optic. After searching around for a few weeks I finally found an EPS Carry with the MRS reticle in stock at a reasonable price. (Some places are price gouging big time). Anyway I bought that optic and it finally arrived today after the snail pace of the USPS finally got around to it. The place I bought it from was AAAOptics. I was hesitant at first but to be honest they were exceptional. The only downside was that I had to pay $33 in state sales tax because they are located in Texas as well. It was either pay $33 vs wait for potentially months more to get one. Other than the tax their price was on par with the best prices I have seen anywhere.

When I got home from work I took my 507K-X2 off of my P365XL and mounted it up to my P322. I then put the EPS Carry on my XL. The only hangup I had was the screws that were included with the EPS Carry would not work with the XL slide. I don't know if it was that the screws were too long, or if the threads didn't go far enough up the shank of the screws, but in either case they definitely did not work.

What I did though is took the optics off of both pistols and then I used the 507K-X2's screws with the EPS Carry. It worked perfectly. Likewise I took the screws that were included with the EPS Carry and used them with the X2 on the 322. Again that worked perfectly. That said if I didn't already own the X2, I would have had to wait to install the optic until I could purchase more screws or get some from Holosun. I am not sure why this is the situation. My hunch is that Sig has altered the slide on the XL over time. The previous version had the rear irons included on the cover plate, whereas the new version moved the cover plate slightly forward so that the irons wouldn't be effected by removing the cover plate. I assume Holosun included screws to go with only the latest version of slides.

Long story short I got both mounted so all that is left to do is zero both guns again, which I will try to do tomorrow.

What I plan to do is run the 322 with just the 2 MOA dot. My carry gun still will run the circle and the dot, at least for now. I used it in that configuration because it was slightly more forgiving in the presentation. I ran at least 1K rounds (or more) through my carry gun learning to use a red dot in general. Eventually I might move to using just the 2 MOA dot on my carry gun, but who knows. It will take a lot more trial and error before I settle on changing something like that.

First impressions are that I am glad I did what I did. I like both optics. The irons on the 322 are flimsy at best so I am glad I replaced them. The optics cover is attached to the rear irons on the 322 so the rear site goes away when you install an optic. The good thing is that Holosun has a rear notch built into the optics body on both of the optics I have.

I had no problems with the 507K. The only thing that I can think of is when I first got the optic there was a piece of lint or something that got on the emitter (I assume during manufacturing). After some careful cleaning I never had an issue one with it. That lint didn't stop the optic from working or anything, it was just more or less annoying because you could tell it was there particularly when using the 32MOA circle.

First impressions of the EPS Carry are great, albeit they are just a few hours of looking at it. Personally I think there are benefits to going with the enclosed optic but I will be exploring it in a lot more detail as I go along and shoot with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm just reading this thread in awe.... simply because it wasn't that long ago everyone just ran irons on handguns. People now, including me, really are starting to prefer and almost require red dots on handguns. Or maybe it's just because my eyes are getting old and I really like that RDS

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm just reading this thread in awe.... simply because it wasn't that long ago everyone just ran irons on handguns. People now, including me, really are starting to prefer and almost require red dots on handguns. Or maybe it's just because my eyes are getting old and I really like that RDS
    My philosophy in general is 'if you aren't evolving you aren't learning'. While I started out with a completely different starting point than you did, what I thought at first was the best, now I don't think that anymore. For me, keeping a skeptical, yet open mind is very important.

To me the STYLE of shooting with dots just makes a whole lot more sense. For example both eyes open was very unnatural for me at first, but I definitely see the value in it. Also for shooting really accurately the dot gives a ton more feedback. In my view it's way better. That 2MOA dot at 10 yards presents a tiny but visible aiming point, and not only that you can physically see when you are moving around. That kind of precision is very difficult to achieve with just irons. Of course it depends on which irons, but I mean in general.

The 'old eyes' thing, I agree 100% as well. In recent years I started using reading glasses so shooting with a dot is much more natural and easy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also think that the technology has progressed enough to make carrying an optic on a pistol feasible. The concept has been there since the 1970s or whatever, but the execution not so much. Now you can get a rugged, tiny featherweight optic at fairly reasonable prices.