Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    I do have a question about cameras if you guys are still reading this thread. I have a cheapo Kodak easy share Z1285. It says 12 Mega Pixl on the side but it is a simple point and shoot, no SLR. Would it really be able to put out shots like you guys are posting on this site?
    It should have a tripod thread on the bottom. If it will shoot 12MP and you have a tripod, it should produce pretty good images. Glass is the real key to a photograph, but don't be surprised if you get some super shots with a point and shoot. The only downside to today's point and shoot cameras is that most do not have a cable release connection. When on the tripod, use the softest touch you can to release the shutter.

Take some pictures and show us what you got!!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    The only downside to today's point and shoot cameras is that most do not have a cable release connection. When on the tripod, use the softest touch you can to release the shutter.
    Also, just about every camera has a countdown timer that allows the shutter to release without the chance of the user inducing movement.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    It says 12 Mega Pixl on the side but it is a simple point and shoot, no SLR. Would it really be able to put out shots like you guys are posting on this site?

Its not about the camera, its about the setup and light. Yes, with a P&S you can do a lot. One of my favorite covers that I've shot was done years ago with a old Olympus point and shoot (C-750), and it was only a 4 mega pixel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jerry, I'm hoping to get to Home Depot tonight!

Any thoughts on bumping up the pipe size a little? I'd like to be able to extend this thing out to as much as 4' feet wide (I'm planning on making the base part at 2', with a 1' and 2' insert to expand it) and I'm concerned about the 1" pipe at that span.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rob,

I've got them built up to 6'x4' without any problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Jerry, I'm hoping to get to Home Depot tonight!

Any thoughts on bumping up the pipe size a little? I'd like to be able to extend this thing out to as much as 4' feet wide (I'm planning on making the base part at 2', with a 1' and 2' insert to expand it) and I'm concerned about the 1" pipe at that span.
    Rob, I would stick with the 1 inch, but get the schedule 40 pipe. Mine sags about a half inch when fully extended, but nobody can see it. All you are using the frame for is to hold your cloths - backdrops. Larger pipe won't be as portable, storable, and a lot of other ...ble's.

Like Stickman, mine is the length of a 6 foot folding table when extended - no problemo.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads

Light Box

Thanks for the great "Light Box" tips Jerry R. Your ideas are great for being able to get some great close-up shots of small items. The ability to expand the box will definitely work to my advantage on full rifle shots. Your light set-up is one of the best I have been able to find. Sure beats the high $$$ regular photo style lamps...does the same on a light meter too. I checked out that web site for the pvc clamps...they have just about everything a person could want for putting together a super light box. Many thanks for your ideas.
    Last edited by nitehawk1946; 27 June 2009 at 18:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to help. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up eight bulbs, two 10.5" lights, and two 8.5" lights (the 5.5" weren't 100 watt rated) and a 10-outlet power strip to power them all.

Got two sticks of 1" sched 40, but they didn't have the 90 degree Ts so I'll have to order those from Jerry's link. I'm actually going to try some shots without them if I can successfully bounce the light off the ceiling/walls.

Bulbs are 5500K n:vision 100W with an output of 1400 lumens and supposedly 10,000 hours.

Which brings us to tripod/head suggestions. Under $150 for the combo would be good, under $200 would be OK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You really want to use bulbs that are all the same. Same wattage, same manufacturer, and same type (daylight, softwhite, etc..).

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are. The housings are the only things that are different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    They are. The housings are the only things that are different.

You should be good to go. 5500 degrees kelvin is pretty straight forward, and depending on what camera you are using, you might find that setting your WB on flash gives you just what you need.

As far as the 90 degree elbows, any Home Depot, Lowes, garden center, hardware store, plumbing or lawn/ irrigation place should also have them. I want to say that I grabbed mine at Home Depot, but it could have been at a real hardware store.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This area is not very do-it-yourself friendly (everyone has landscapers, maids, etc. and couldn't believe it when I actually built my own fence with my own two hands) consequently the Home Depots suck.

I just ordered the 90* elbows from the link Jerry posted along with his clips.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've run into you before, and I admit, you don't look Cuban. I must point out that you didn't even say hi.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am still learning all the functions on this camera (the kodak easyshare) and my main subject is an ar15. The ar is a post ban that I just purchased a spikes tactical 37mm launcher for. My carbine is upper is down at elite firearms getting the barrell threaded for a flash suppressor. When it comes back I will start trying to get some good pics of it.