Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonScoring View Post
    Get yourself a Giottos Rocket Blaster.
    Amazon wishlisted.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Watch that youtube video I put up a bit ago and go to that guys website. He's a master at the art of macro.
    Yep - I did. Was a very informative video - interesting to see the way he diffused his flash. Gonna try to play around with this when I get back home for Christmas break.

... and, just so I understand this correctly. To do this inexpensive form of macro photography - I'd need a lens that I could manually change the aperture too, right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Amazon wishlisted.

Yep - I did. Was a very informative video - interesting to see the way he diffused his flash. Gonna try to play around with this when I get back home for Christmas break.

... and, just so I understand this correctly. To do this inexpensive form of macro photography - I'd need a lens that I could manually change the aperture too, right?

If you look on that lens it has a little red box/circle around some numbers... those are your aperture values. You can change them by manually twisting that ring on the lens.

This is how things have worked for a very very long time, but when digital came along people now just control their aperture from in the camera body.

If you decide you want to try it I will help you get hunt a decent lens. You can be doing some major macro for less than $100 easy. Remember... with a reversed 50mm lens it is 1X magnification. With a reversed 28mm it is 3X magnification... and that is just stuck right on the camera body without any extension tubes. The tubes add more magnification.

But yes, you do need a lens with a manual aperture ring on it. They are all over the internet. I will help you get hooked up with something nice if you want.

A decent ring will be about 15 or 20 bucks. A decent lens might be 50-100 bucks depending on what you get. When I first start I wouldn't get tubes yet. Just try out one focal length at a time. But just about anything works.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If you look on that lens it has a little red box/circle around some numbers... those are your aperture values. You can change them by manually twisting that ring on the lens.

This is how things have worked for a very very long time, but when digital came along people now just control their aperture from in the camera body.

If you decide you want to try it I will help you get hunt a decent lens. You can be doing some major macro for less than $100 easy. Remember... with a reversed 50mm lens it is 1X magnification. With a reversed 28mm it is 3X magnification... and that is just stuck right on the camera body without any extension tubes. The tubes add more magnification.

But yes, you do need a lens with a manual aperture ring on it. They are all over the internet. I will help you get hooked up with something nice if you want.

A decent ring will be about 15 or 20 bucks. A decent lens might be 50-100 bucks depending on what you get. When I first start I wouldn't get tubes yet. Just try out one focal length at a time. But just about anything works.
    In that case, none of my current lenses allow for manual aperture change - all electronically changed.

Appreciate the help. Unfortunately that will have to be put on hold for now. Right I'm saving up for some ammo. But no worries, I'll get back to ya when the time comes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Figured the 50mm would be ideal. Something I've been meaning to pick up ... until I got into guns Macro is way out of my budget for the foreseeable future. Guess I'll be stuck with renting it for now.

I remember, a while back, someone posted a link (GOST maybe) to a website for camera gear rentals - does anyone remember what website that was?

Would like to take a shot at doing some portrait work when the Jack comes home.

Yeah, I got a Nikon D5100 - it's a half frame camera (1.5x crop).

If I remember correctly though, that crop factor only comes into play between a half frame camera and a full frame lens, right?
    Borrowlenses.com if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Borrowlenses.com if it hasn't been mentioned yet.
    The exact website I was looking for. Thanks much!

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I a question for the pros here. I was given a Nikon D40. Nothing special but hey are you gonna argue with free? Anyway all it has is the standard lense that came with it. Is it worth my time and money to mess with this camera since it is a quite a few years old. If it is worth the time what lense should I be looking at so I could attempt to take pictures like you guys. I plan to make a "lightbox" soon but wanted some input.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    So I a question for the pros here. I was given a Nikon D40. Nothing special but hey are you gonna argue with free? Anyway all it has is the standard lense that came with it. Is it worth my time and money to mess with this camera since it is a quite a few years old. If it is worth the time what lense should I be looking at so I could attempt to take pictures like you guys. I plan to make a "lightbox" soon but wanted some input.
    Kit lens should produce decent images once you learn the ins and outs of the camera james. I wouldn't worry about it being older, it's a perfect starting point. Check borrowlenses.com to try some different lenses out. The cheapest lens to buy, and one I feel everyone should have, is a 50mm prime. Check on amazon, b&h, adorama, etc. should be around 100 bucks or so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been using a kit lens almost exclusively. I have a 55-200 that's I get out every once in a while but not frequently.

Learn on the kit lens before you start spending money.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    The cheapest lens to buy, and one I feel everyone should have, is a 50mm prime. Check on amazon, b&h, adorama, etc. should be around 100 bucks or so.
    This might be different for other brands, but a least for Nikon $100 will only get you a manual 50mm prime. The autofocus 50mm prime f/1.8 is around $200.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This might be different for other brands, but a least for Nikon $100 will only get you a manual 50mm prime. The autofocus 50mm prime f/1.8 is around $200.
    Yeah, I am dying for a prime (nikon here too). A 35mm is a little cheaper.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    That one is autofocus, just the older D version.

The D40 does not have a screw drive for focusing, which means you can only autofocus with AF-S lenses. This D version would only work as a manual focus.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Yeah, I am dying for a prime (nikon here too). A 35mm is a little cheaper.
    Whoo! Another Nikon user! Yes! Meh, it's cheaper by about $20 (depending on where/when you get it of course). I started out with the 35mm f/1.8 and the 70-300mm f/4-5.6. Don't get me wrong, 35mm is great ... but sometimes I find that the angle is a bit too wide for some of the shot I take (I did a lot of sports/candid - and a little bit of portrait), and for some of the portraits I ended up having to crop the image. Been wanting a 50mm f/1.8.

It's all about that bokeh

That one is autofocus, just the older D version.

The D40 does not have a screw drive for focusing, which means you can only autofocus with AF-S lenses. This D version would only work as a manual focus.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, the D lenses, for those to autofocus, they'd need a camera with a built in motor for it to autofocus correct? I remember reading something about that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Correct me if I'm wrong, the D lenses, for those to autofocus, they'd need a camera with a built in motor for it to autofocus correct? I remember reading something about that.
    Yep, you successfully rephrased what I wrote.

As a way to cut costs in the more affordable cameras, Nikon removed the screw drive motor which was/is used on older D lenses (and all previous autofocus lenses). The AF-S lenses use a different technology. When AF-S was first released, it was only found in the best new lenses Nikon was making. The technology has since filtered down to more affordable lenses as well. My 50mm 1.8G lense is an AF-S.

Downloads
    Uploads

Photography How-to

Yep, you successfully rephrased what I wrote.

As a way to cut costs in the more affordable cameras, Nikon removed the screw drive motor which was/is used on older D lenses (and all previous autofocus lenses). The AF-S lenses use a different technology. When AF-S was first released, it was only found in the best new lenses Nikon was making. The technology has since filtered down to more affordable lenses as well. My 50mm 1.8G lense is an AF-S.
    Thanks CS!

Ok so tell me if I did ok! I got to looking around and my wife reminded me I had some Dell giftcards that we're going to expire soon. So I get up there and find what I feel is a pretty good package deal.

They had a Canon SL1 with 18-55mm IS STM lens and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens. Added a small bag and a Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens all for $880 shipped before I threw in a few hundred in GC's. I also get 10% back on the $880. So total cost to me was $620.

Edit: The D40 was given to me but ill pass it on to someone else is in need as I just didn't feel it would meet my expectations. I've been wanting one of my own anyway and it didn't take much convincing on my part with the wife. I told her I guess I could take pics of the kids too... Hehe
    Last edited by Dstrbdmedic167; 11 December 2014 at 10:29.