Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul SL vs SL-K PDW stocks

Looking at replacing the stock on my 10.5”. Doing some shuffling and the current one will go elsewhere

I’m deciding between (possibly) the Magpul SL or the SL-K PDW.

Leaning toward the SL-K PDW just due to the size. It’s my smallest rifle and keeping it small with the same features sounds pretty cool and my son (8) uses the rifle a lot with me and the smaller size would help him

Anyone use this before? Any pros/cons, loves/hates? Only thing it looks like instead of an integrated QD socket, you’ve got to use an MLOK detachable socket on the K for a sling

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use SLK stocks on almost all of my SBR's. They just seem to be the perfect size to me. I usually throw an Arisaka MLOK QD into the single MLOK slot in the stock to use my QD stocks.

I think for a kid, it would be perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have two rifles with the SL-K on them. I like them a lot. I am pretty sure it was UWone that recommended them to me and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you really want a small stock, why not the SL-M?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take a look at LWRC's compact stock as well, I have it on my SBR's and a few other rifles.... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021916229
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have two rifles with the SL-K on them. I like them a lot. I am pretty sure it was UWone that recommended them to me and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest bit.
    I really like the look of them

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    If you really want a small stock, why not the SL-M?

It’s new and I didn’t see it on PA’s site. Just saw it on Magpuls page. I guess I don’t know if the M is TOO small….I want to be able to use it too

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Take a look at LWRC's compact stock as well, I have it on my SBR's and a few other rifles.... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021916229

I knew they made the ultra compact which requires the proprietary buffer tube but didn’t know they made an intermediate version, thanks. I’ll try to find the dimensions of it to compare to the SL-K

Downloads
    Uploads
    No problem, they actually came out with it long before the UCIW stock which is like an inch shorter than the standard compact stock. Its pretty much the gold standard on all their rifles. Let me know if you need some dimensions off of it... Im pretty sure I have a new one sitting on a complete lower I built a while back that has become a safe queen so if you wanna try one out let me know as well and I can get it out to you asap.

ETA: I do have one. Also its 6 3/8 accross the top for total length and 4 3/8 total height measured on the buttpad and just under 2 inches thick at the widest part then narrows down quite a bit.
    Last edited by Stone; 5 February 2023 at 17:01.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SL-M needs a PDW extension. You could put it on a regular extension, but it won't collapse all the way. Other than total length, the rest of the dimensions are exactly the same

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    SL-M needs a PDW extension. You could put it on a regular extension, but it won't collapse all the way. Other than total length, the rest of the dimensions are exactly the same
    Thanks! I was curious about that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No problem, they actually came out with it long before the UCIW stock which is like an inch shorter than the standard compact stock. Its pretty much the gold standard on all their rifles. Let me know if you need some dimensions off of it... Im pretty sure I have a new one sitting on a complete lower I built a while back that has become a safe queen so if you wanna try one out let me know as well and I can get it out to you asap.

ETA: I do have one. Also its 6 3/8 accross the top for total length and 4 3/8 total height measured on the buttpad and just under 2 inches thick at the widest part then narrows down quite a bit.

Hmmm that’s very close in size to the SL-K at 6.5” long and 4.2” tall..

Thanks for the offer. Need to make up my mind now lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    No problem... They are fairly similar except the SL-K has a loop sling attachment and the LWRC has a QD attach and a loop attach point. I put the compact stocks on most of my rifles and there is a notable difference between them and a full size stock. Shouldering seems to be effortless with less bulk and works well with a full kit where keeping things as low profile makes me more agile and efficient. As far as going to their smaller stocks like the SLM and UCIW (which I did give some thought to a while back) just isnt worth the squeeze since you need to buy more parts to get them to work for an overall savings of around an inch when fully collapsed.
    Last edited by Stone; 6 February 2023 at 08:53.