Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Recommend a good lube / cleaner

Okay, now that you've stopped giggling from the title, what do you guys recommend for your lubrication / cleaning needs.

Now that I've started shooting a suppressed SBR I've noticed the CLP just aint cutting it. It seems all but gone after the first magazine. That and clean up has increased dramatically.

With that said what would you guys recommend for lubrication and cleaners. I'm taking my SBRs to a magpul class this summer, and good cleaning suppliers are sadly the one item that's kind fallen off the top of my list.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a huge, huge fan of SLiP 2000 725 cleaner, it's a pump spray so I feel like you are in control of where it's being applied without it being a pain in the ass plus it really works well. I ran over 500 rounds of .22 LR through my conversion kit which really runs damn dirty but that's a whole different post. The point is it took care of it. I also use SLiP 2000 lube, they have your standard CLP type of deal an "extreme" weapons lube and a grease. I'm all about the extreme lube.
    -BC

"I would never have a 7.62 as my primary home defense weapon. I mean by all means if I'm cleaning a 7.62 and some d-bag busts down my door I'll give him a bad day"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use the same. SLiP works great and goes a long way.
    Matthew 10:28

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another vote for Slip 2000...if you have to go cheap, Mobil 1 works just fine too....
    cmoore

Currently in service:

Springfield Operator .45, VZ's, Ed Brown mag well, Novak Lo-pro tritium's

Colt M4, 5.56, EoTech 553, Hensoldt-Wetzlar 3.5 magnifyer, Matech rear flip, Quicksilver suppressor

"You get more with a kind word and a gun, than a kind word alone". -AL Capone

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're going to use the Slip, you should use the EWL and not the original. I and another shooter down here have had the same issue with the original in that if left in a gun that sits it can gum things up. I have multiple ARs and if I don't shoot one for awhile and store it with the Slip I have to re-lube it before I shoot it. Not such a big deal for a range day, but not so great for the "go to" gun. I don't know if it's the heat, humidity, salt in the air, or what (if it's locational at all) but at least two of us have encountered the same problem.

I like their carbon cutter for soaking bolts and their general cleaner as well, but you need to get the lube in a spray bottle if you use the cleaner as it will really dry things out and it's easier to re-lube with the spray bottle.

My favorite all-around cleaning product of all time is still Shooter's Choice. Works great on carbon, copper fouling, etc. and it doesn't dry things out as badly as some other products.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    for lube, monile 1 15w50

for cleaning, MPRO 7

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thans for that input, Rob. I ended up getting their carbon cleaner and EWL product. I'll be testing it out next month in our Magpul Dynamics class. I think that's a fitting test environment.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Slip products are the bomb. I use them in my 16" and 10.5, as well as my Glocks and Benelli's..

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 on M-Pro7. No odor whatsoever w/ the Gun Cleaner and their CLP is good with only a slight odor (in case anyone other than me has a wife who complains about the smell of other solvents.) I can't speak for their Copper Solvent product.

-B

Downloads
    Uploads
    New player on the block, it's a big hit in PA (local) and getting darned good reviews.

Weapons Shield

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anyone like Mil Spec or Hoppe's?

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    The MilPro and EWL are both great. I'd say go with that.

For quicker stuff - just plain grease and some synthetic 20W50 will do nearly as well, and easier to find. Not pretty, but outperforms CLP by a lot.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m still a fan of Break-Free products. I use their thicker LP as a dedicated lube for the bolt and carrier, and use the bottled CLP as a general lube for everything else on the weapon.

I reserve the thinner aerosol CLP for cleaning only.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For general use, most products are all great such as slip, Militec, Weapon Shield, etc. It is when you use your AR in extreme environments such as the desert and the extreme cold like Alaska, that some products are better than others. If you shoot your weapon a lot in between cleanongs, a good cleaner like the slip2000 cleaner is a good idea as it will cut your cleaning time in half and it will save some money as the cleaners are much cheaper than the lubes.