Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

G19 Ported makeover

I recently wrote that I got a G19 Gen 3, like new, pistol. For some reason there are a whole lot of those around, barely used gen 3 pistols, and I can't explain that, I guess folks bought them and just didn't use them much. I dissasembled the gun and slide and everything was so new I only made a few changes, but some major ones.

I decided to leave all of the trigger components stock with the exception of a ZEV Pro-Con connector, because I want to use this as a self defence pistol and want to avoid any "liability" issues of installing a "deadly" trigger. It smoothed out the trigger pull and got rid of the "bump", while still probably maintaining about a 4.5 or so pull weight.

The big thing was the Radian Ramjet custom barrel and afterburner compensator kit from Radian, a drop in barrel and compensator that's almost too easy to believe to install. I also used a tungsten guide rod from Glock parts that replaces the 1oz. stock unit with a 4oz. tungsten unit, with a stock 18oz. spring to shoot all the regular stuff I shoot, 115gn to 147gn.

The last things I did was install a set of TRU GLO tritium sights and have a magpul magwell on the way.

I have no way to determine if the muzzle flip/ recoil is reduced by nearly 50 percent as Radian claims, but I think I can "feel" if it's close. There are many youtube reviews on this upgrade so someone may have some serious scientific way to measure differnces, in part II of this, after I take her to the range and shoot up a boatload of ammo. I can give you an honest "subjective" opinion on whether or not this was worth nearly 500 bucks worth of upgrades, for a self-defence pistol. More to come after some range time and hopefully some good pics.
    Last edited by FortTom; 20 March 2024 at 19:39.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I recently wrote that I got a G19 Gen 3, like new, pistol. For some reason there are a whole lot of those around, barely used gen 3 pistols, and I can't explain that, I guess folks bought them and just didn't use them much. I dissasembled the gun and slide and everything was so new I only made a few changes, but some major ones.

I decided to leave all of the trigger components stock with the exception of a ZEV Pro-Con connector, because I want to use this as a self defence pistol and want to avoid any "liability" issues of installing a "deadly" trigger. It smoothed out the trigger pull and got rid of the "bump", while still probably maintaining about a 4.5 or so pull weight.

The big thing was the Radian Ramjet custom barrel and afterburner compensator kit from Radian, a drop in barrel and compensator that's almost too easy to believe to install. I also used a tungsten guide rod from Glock parts that replaces the 1oz. stock unit with a 4oz. tungsten unit, with a stock 18oz. spring to shoot all the regular stuff I shoot, 115gn to 147gn.

The last things I did was install a set of TRU GLO tritium sights and have a magpul magwell on the way.

I have no way to determine if the muzzle flip/ recoil is reduced by nearly 50 percent as Radian claims, but I think I can "feel" if it's close. There are many youtube reviews on this upgrade so someone may have some serious scientific way to measure differnces, in part II of this, after I take her to the range and shoot up a boatload of ammo. I can give you an honest "subjective" opinion on whether or not this was worth nearly 500 bucks worth of upgrades, for a self-defence pistol. More to come after some range time and hopefully some good pics.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d-a...6jp5H9wPn/view
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your link says access denied.

My Radian combo for the G45 is arriving tonight or later today. Tomorrow is range day, I'll add to your thread as well. I need to make sure the zero is still good or if I have to make adjustments for the newer barrel. I'm thinking of running Blazer 124's for this one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just wondering what it'd be like if Radian made on for a G43. Mine might be a lot more tame without giving up much in compactness.
    FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just wondering what it'd be like if Radian made on for a G43. Mine might be a lot more tame without giving up much in compactness.
    FT
    There are other options.

https://www.parkermountainmachine.co...-barrel-combo/

https://roguegunworks.com/shop-onlin...ry-compensator

My UPS driver texted me and said that I was on the list for delivery tonight but he didn't see my package -_-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    There are other options.

https://www.parkermountainmachine.co...-barrel-combo/

https://roguegunworks.com/shop-onlin...ry-compensator

My UPS driver texted me and said that I was on the list for delivery tonight but he didn't see my package -_-
    The shimmed system looks out of the question, but the rogueworks looks dooable. Just wonder if you have to remove the pin everytime you disassemble for cleaning. Looks like it'd wear out in short order, but wiwh they'd show the assy/disassy in the video. Might check with Radian and see if they have anything in the works. Thanks,
    FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    Your link says access denied.

My Radian combo for the G45 is arriving tonight or later today. Tomorrow is range day, I'll add to your thread as well. I need to make sure the zero is still good or if I have to make adjustments for the newer barrel. I'm thinking of running Blazer 124's for this one.
    I like heavies. Would love to hear how it does with 147s.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I like heavies. Would love to hear how it does with 147s.
    I'll be shooting some while testing.....I like 'em too. The range is to busy on the weekends so it'll be monday before I go unless TRifleman shoots some sooner.
    FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be shooting some while testing.....I like 'em too. The range is to busy on the weekends so it'll be monday before I go unless TRifleman shoots some sooner.
    FT
    I packed some of that too, unfortunately my box with the Radian wasn't on the truck, now says will be delivered today. I packed not only Blazer 124's and my own homebrewed 147 reloads, but I also piled in some Winchester M1152 115 hot 9mm NATO ammo.

I'm still going to go, if it shows up today I may convince myself to get back out again on Sunday or Monday even.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like 147 gr Federal HST out of my micro 9; it tames some of the flipiness. For more normal size guns it's Hornady 135 gr +P. But for kill your soul, DRT stuff, I am in love with 230 gr Ranger Flyin' Ashtrays.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I asked the folks at Radian if they had any plans to make the barrel and comp for the G43 and G43X and they said yes. But no timeline for it yet. That will make for one kick ass slim compact if it works out. I still can't wait until Monday to see if the thing (barrel and comp) work out well in the G19. I expect that the 115gn. stuff won't make a huge difference, but the 147gn. stuff should prove if the barrel/comp/tungsten rod combo makes a difference or not. If it cuts muzzle flip by nearly 47% I should notice immediately. If it does, I can't wait until they come out with the one for the 43 and 43X. That should make for one Mo' Fo" of a concealed carry weapon. 147gn. out of "nearly" a pocket pistol. Should ward of "billy gang banger" in short order.

FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I like 147 gr Federal HST out of my micro 9; it tames some of the flipiness. For more normal size guns it's Hornady 135 gr +P. But for kill your soul, DRT stuff, I am in love with 230 gr Ranger Flyin' Ashtrays.
    Jski, what "micro" to you have that shoots 147 gn. Fed HST that tames muzzle flip?
    FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a Kimber Micro 9, and honestly nothing came tame the flip. The heavier boolits are rumored to reduce felt recoil but I don't get too upset about recoil on anything this side of a 460 Mag.

Got a couple of these rattling around the range bag somewhere.

Last edited by Joelski; 22 March 2024 at 19:19.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    It's a Kimber Micro 9, and honestly nothing came tame the flip. The heavier boolits are rumored to reduce felt recoil but I don't get too upset about recoil on anything this side of a 460 Mag.
    hahahahahahah! I know what you mean. Recoil has never bothered me, that is depending on the gun. However, for a SD weapon, the less muzzle flip, the faster I can get back on target. Recoil in these things are maginal compared to a hunting pistol. Speaking of which, I had to seriously talk myself out of a Ruger 454 Casull today. But getting back to SD, recoil and more importantly, muzzle flip concern me if I have to defend myself from 2 legged creatures, God help me not.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    The shorter the barrel is the more muzzle flip your going to have, just physics. The wife didnt like my 135+p Tactical bonded Federals out of her 3.8" XDM and when we tried some 147g Underwood GD's it made a big difference for her. I just picked up a few cases of the PDX1 147g bonded winchesters and am looking forward to testing them out. Need a new carry round since Federal in all their wisdom decided to stop making the 135+p TB's... They still produce the hydroshok crap from 30 years ago but cancel what is arguably one of the best SD rounds ever produced.

@Joelski- Ever shoot the 230g +p Federal TB's? Dam! Its a beast!! I would hate to be on the receiving end of either of those rounds...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.