Uploads

Upper with DD Lite rails

Hi. Picture request for anybody who have the following set-up -

1. DD lite rail 10.0 with 10.5" barrel
    2. DD lite rail 14.0 with 14.5" barrel

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a link to a post Stickman put in another forum showing his Hoveske setup.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=236151

Downloads
    Uploads
    10" on 10.5"

my other lite rails are 12" on 16"

Cameron

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice! That is exactly what I wanted to see. I think the 10.5 barrel looks better with 10" rail than the 9" and you just confirmed what I thought. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, do you think the front end of the DD 14" rail with 14.5" barrel will look the same as your 10"/10.5"?
    Last edited by Broad Arrow; 13 June 2009 at 02:47.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dragondoc View Post
    Here is a link to a post Stickman put in another forum showing his Hoveske setup.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=236151
    Thanks for the link. I saw Stickman's Noveske set-up. If I guess it right, I think he has the 14" rail with 18" barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Broad Arrow View Post
    Very nice! That is exactly what I wanted to see. I think the 10.5 barrel looks better with 10" rail than the 9" and you just confirmed what I thought. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, do you think the front end of the DD 14" rail with 14.5" barrel will look the same as your 10"/10.5"?

That combo is too front heavy in my opinion, balances weird unless you put an EMOD or SOPMOD stock on it or some other heavy stock.
    Then:

Now:

Last edited by spamsammich; 13 June 2009 at 23:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=spamsammich;10589]That combo is too front heavy in my opinion, balances weird unless you put an EMOD or SOPMOD stock on it or some other heavy stock.
    Then:

Now:

Thanks for the pictures. I can see what you did. I was hoping to have a look similar to the 10"/10.5' with only the flash suppressor visible but I guess it can only work on shorter barrels. The 12" rail and 14.5" barrel looks very nice also. Are you satisfied with the balance now?

BTW, if you know, I can still use the Noveske KX3 with the 10" rail + 10.5 barrel combo, right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I"m much more pleased with the overall balance, it's amazing what a difference a couple inches make when you've got lights, vfg, etc hanging off the end of the gun.

Not all 10" rails are created equal, the the DD Lites are almost 10.25" IIRC as is the Mk18 RIS II (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). I do know that with the DD M4 rail, the KX3 will actually clear the rail so even if it does run a little long, you shouldn't have any problems. You may have to use a strap wrench to attach it though if you put it on last.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the DD M4 series rails a Novekse KX3 will fit inside.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @spamsammich - thanks for your comments

@Stickman - thanks for the pics. How come the M4 13.5" is not posted in DD's website? Are these custom order lengths? However, if I had to go with the non-continuous top rail handguard, I think I prefer LaRue better than DD. But with your 13.5 pics, I am loving it :) Can I request for a full side view picture, both sides, that is if you have any. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    That combo is too front heavy in my opinion, balances weird unless you put an EMOD or SOPMOD stock on it or some other heavy stock.
    Then how can she do this with my 16" HBAR with a 12" rail??

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're killin me Cameron, killin me. But my opinion still stands, a 14" rail with a 14.5" barrel doesn't make for a well balanced combo without a heavier stock like an EMOD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Broad Arrow View Post
    @spamsammich - thanks for your comments

@Stickman - thanks for the pics. How come the M4 13.5" is not posted in DD's website? Are these custom order lengths? However, if I had to go with the non-continuous top rail handguard, I think I prefer LaRue better than DD. But with your 13.5 pics, I am loving it :) Can I request for a full side view picture, both sides, that is if you have any. Thanks.

The DD 13.5 was something I came up with a few years ago, John from Rainier Arms liked the concept, and had them custom made by Daniel Defense. The 13.5 was a nice configuration, but the 14.0 Lite rail ended up being an option that covered rifle length gas blocks, and it ended up switching over to that.

The rail in the picture went to Drake, and can be seen in the Magpul training video AOTTC II. Disk 2 at 39.46 shows it nicely, as well as other views throughout the series.

ETA- Switching over to the 14.0 was Johns idea based on the idea of covering the block, and is how that rail came into creation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a picture of Drake shooting his carbine with the 13.5 rail. I should point out this is NOT my picture, but it was sent to me by Drake and is used with his permission.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Stickman - thank you for the picture. That is the look I envisioned when I asked about the 14" rail with 14.5" barrel and also with the KX3. What is the comment of Drake? Is it front heavy?

Here is what I intend to do - I'm trying to have 2 upper builds with the following components:

1. DD AR Lite 10 rail and Noveske 10.5" + KX3
    2. DD AR Lite 14 rail and Noveske 14.5" + KX3 or Smith Vortex

Do you think they are matched well? BTW, I have the Magpul CTR as my buttstock and I will eventually add a light and VFG on the rails. Thanks.