Thread: Palmetto Arms

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Palmetto Arms

Several years ago before I educated myself properly on AR style rifles, I purchased a Palmetto Arms rifle. I didn't know much and was looking for a pre-ban when I bought it. Does anyone here know much about Palmetto Arms?

I learned a few things online but information is hit and miss. I have determined that my particular rifle was made between 1979 and 1982 based on the serial number. I also discovered that Palmetto Arms is an Italian company that assembled much of their product from other makers parts. According to one websource, the PA lowers were made from a single billet of aluminum---mine has circular markings on the lower, aparently from the machines that cut the lower to shape.

I discovered all this after I purchased a few Magpul PMAG's last December and found that they did not fit easily into the PA magwell. Removing them was nearly impossible! That is what led me to researching and gathering as much new information on AR-15 style rifles I could find. It is what led me here! I have learned a lot from the folks here and hope to continue to do so.

So, if anyone has any information or insight to add about Palmetto Arms I would appreciate the input. Thanks!

Stay safe,

-Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    Palmetto used to get their lowers from Oly. As a Washingtonian, I can safely say I wouldn't piss on Oly if the joint was on fire. We're up to our asses in those junk piles over here. Sorry to be blunt, but I'd shitcan that out of spec lower and get a new one. Prices are coming back down. Hell, I've got a complete Mega lower for sale if you want. How is the upper running? I'd be worried about that too if it was Oly sourced.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    Palmetto used to get their lowers from Oly. As a Washingtonian, I can safely say I wouldn't piss on Oly if the joint was on fire. We're up to our asses in those junk piles over here. Sorry to be blunt, but I'd shitcan that out of spec lower and get a new one. Prices are coming back down. Hell, I've got a complete Mega lower for sale if you want. How is the upper running? I'd be worried about that too if it was Oly sourced.
    Thanks for the reply. The rifle has worked just fine. I thought about just trading it in and see if I could get a few hundred for it at the local gun store. I'd rather start fresh again with a new project rather than piece together something with the old rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's worth a shot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sent you PM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this is an old post but I had to reply to spamsammich about Oly Arms. Well when I first got into commercial spec AR's I bought an Oly for a very low price. It repeatedly failed to do this or that so I RMAd the pos. While it was at their factory in Washington, the place burned down!!! Isn't that nuts?! It took months for me to get a replacemen from them. They sent a match rifle to me and I immediately sold it. The End.

Scouts Out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    I know this is an old post but I had to reply to spamsammich about Oly Arms. Well when I first got into commercial spec AR's I bought an Oly for a very low price. It repeatedly failed to do this or that so I RMAd the pos. While it was at their factory in Washington, the place burned down!!! Isn't that nuts?! It took months for me to get a replacemen from them. They sent a match rifle to me and I immediately sold it. The End.

Scouts Out!
    Funny thing is, I have never had any trouble with this old thing. It has performed well considering it lineage and age.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Olympics Arms products tend to be either good to go, or problematic, with very little in between. I think the largest problem they have is staying on top of their QC. I've seen OA weapons that have high round counts that run fantastic, and others that pop up with issues within a few hundred rounds.

Your Palmetto would bring you more money if you sold it to someone in a AWB state, and it would be better served there, especially if you have had no problems with it.