Downloads
    Uploads

The Sure Shot not B.A.D.

A few weeks ago I was looking through the latest Brownells AR 15/M 16 catalog #4 and notice an page 19 a product called the Sure Shot Extended Bolt Release.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=2...Bolt_Release_I

I know that Magpul has a product called the Battery Assist Device also know as the B.A.D. that allows a person to release the bolt with the trigger finger. I was not aware of anyone other then Magpul with a product like this. About a week later I was placing an order with them and decided to try it out.

I order the Extended Bolt Release II because they were out of the EBR I. The EBR II has larger pad for your finer, other then that they appear to be the same. It comes with the release two set screws and an allen wrench. It‘s made out of aluminum with a black finish.

Installation was simple and did not require any disassembly of the rifle. Making sure the rifle is unloaded lock the bolt to the rear. Slide the device over the bolt catch, the large part that your thumb uses to release the bolt, and tighten the set screw down with the supplied allen wrench. That’s it.

Using the device is also simple. Stick your trigger finger through the trigger guard and push. At first I thought it was a little awkward and I had concerns about having my finger that far in the trigger guard, but when using it with a magazine with dummy ammo my concern went away. Is it faster the using your thumb? Yes, and with a little practice I can see how someone could become very fast. I can see this becoming popular with the three gun crowed.

Simple well made and works like it’s designed to. I like it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you have the feeling that you could have a ND using the device?

I don't like to "knock it before I try it" but I'm spectacle about putting my finger that far in front of the trigger when reloading under stress.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's nice to see there are alternatives to the Magpul BAD. In looking at this particular model though, I have two questions:

- Do you know if it fits on a Sun Devil Upper? Magpul BAD does not.

- How does one use it to lock the bolt to the rear with the fire control hand if there is nothing to lift/grab in the direction needed to pull it through the trigger guard? Or, or does it only function to release a bolt for instances when the bolt locked the the rear after a mag was expended or the bolt was manually locked to the rear? I hope I made some kind of sense there.
    Last edited by federalist22; 28 November 2009 at 05:14.
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I know that Magpul has a product called the Battery Assist Device also know as the B.A.D. that allows a person to release the bolt with the trigger finger. I was not aware of anyone other then Magpul with a product like this.
    Benchrest shooters have been using these for years, if not decades.

Using the device is also simple. Stick your trigger finger through the trigger guard and push.

At first I thought it was a little awkward and I had concerns about having my finger that far in the trigger guard,

and with a little practice I can see how someone could become very fast. I can see this becoming popular with the three gun crowed.
    This is really not a good thing. Benchrest shooters can get away with it because they are.... at rest. But any kind of action shooting (where speed of reload would be of concern, like 3-gun) and it's asking for trouble.

People miss that the extra 90* turn in the BAD is what is so innovative about it and sets it apart. The ability to operate the lever in a safe manner at speed is what all the fuss is about.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Might run into trouble if you have to shoot left side. Also, it requires your trigger finger to travel completely into the trigger area, which may inadvertently lead to accidents.

Although it is nice to see alternatives, I strongly believe the Magpul variety to be superior because it allows release and locking of the bolt, while at the same time still allows for left hand shooting. It is also compatible with systems such as the RediMag. Not to mention it looks much better (subjective).

Despite all I've said, it's still nice to see alternatives.

-rebelEMPIRE

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been running a Phase 5 Tactical EBR on my rifle for awhile now & love it . They have a solid version and a mount on version.
    http://www.phase5tactical.com/index.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for this post and pic of the Phase 5 Tactical EBRv2--I have been looking for a solution to the Magpul BAD (great product by Magpul) to fit on my Sun Devil Upper because the BAD does not--I ordered a EBRv2 and it works great. The receiver walls and the recessed bolt batch paddle area on the Sun Devil made it impossible to mount the BAD without modification to the unit. It seems comparable to my other rifles outfitted with the BAD on them. I will post a pic soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I have been running a Phase 5 Tactical EBR on my rifle for awhile now & love it . They have a solid version and a mount on version.
    http://www.phase5tactical.com/index.html

- Federalist22