Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Question

Downloads
    Uploads

9mm Question

Which would be better for self defense in a Glock 17, 124gr +P hp, or 147gr hp?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't give you the best answer in the world, but I'm pretty sure that the difference is academic. Perhaps someone on here can tell you which performs better in ballistic gelatin, but in all honesty I'm fairly certain that either round will be effective if you are.

That is to say you have to hit your target for the round to do any good.

I plan on picking up a .380 in the near future for carry during the summer months, and caliber size isn't nearly as important to me as being able to hit my target.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This comes down to the heavy/slow vs. light/fast debate that has been raging since the dawn of time. When I carried a 9mm I loaded it with 147gr rounds. I've always preferred heavy bullets to lighter ones but I honestly don't think it makes a huge amount of difference. Shoot a bunch of both of them and see which work better for you out of your gun. It may like one better than the other and that's the one you should use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is no correct answer with the information given. The quality and design of the bullet is more important than the weight.

If all things were equal, I would use the 124 +P unless I were using a can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeky73 View Post
    Which would be better for self defense in a Glock 17, 124gr +P hp, or 147gr hp?
    Which ever you can shoot well enough to get a solid CNS hit.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The quality and design of the bullet is more important than the weight.

If all things were equal, I would use the 124 +P unless I were using a can.
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Which ever you can shoot well enough to get a solid CNS hit.
    Two OUTSTANDING answers, I agree with both
    Factory Certified Armorer: Benelli, Beretta, Bushmaster, Colt, Glock, H&K, Remington, Ruger, SigArms, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you tried the Winchester 9mm 127 grain +P+ load?
    Dr Gary Roberts has good data re 9mm load.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My intention is to use Golden Saber. It is the easiest to get of the tactical loads in this neck of the woods. Just can't find any Hornady TAP. Golden Saber offers both the 124gr +P and a 147gr.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had accuracy troubles with TAP 124gr out of my M&P 124gr HST+p's worked better. My 24/7 does well with both. My dad likes the 147gr golden sabers out of his M&P compact.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm carrying Speer GDHP 124 +Ps.

Downloads
    Uploads

9mm load selection

I had a chance to think about this a little more. From my personal experience with the 9mm load. I started with the 9mm semi-auto pistol at the beginning of it popularity, the agency I work for issued the Winchester 147 JHP. This was after the FBI shoot out in Florida where LEO were rethinking the 115 silvertip.

I have seen fellow officers shoot suspects with the 147 JHP and oh crap they're still advancing towards us. Was it shot placement? I think that was part of it, the shots were not on major organs and there was no follow up shot. I have seen drug suspects shoot at each other with 9mm and killed their rivals but they fired lots of bullets and the rival bleed out. Does the 9mm work, yeah it does.

Do I carry a 9mm any more? Yes, with a very good load, shoot placement and put enough holes in the suspect to stop the threat.

I am currently using The Winchester 127 +P+ load or any decent 9mm JHP.
    Be safe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've read somewhere to stay away from 147gr JHP 9mm rounds for self defense because they are heavier and slower and do not have enough energy to expand properly. This means the hole in the front is roughly the same size hole as in the back. With the smaller grained bullets, they expand readily and throw pieces of shrapnel in the body they penetrate. I forget if it was a specific make of 147gr JHP or if this is for 147Gr JHP ingeneral.

I am sorry I cannot back this up with my sources at the moment (all gun information sites-except this one-are banned at work, I will try to find information on this when I get home this evening)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    I've read somewhere to stay away from 147gr JHP 9mm rounds for self defense because they are heavier and slower and do not have enough energy to expand properly. This means the hole in the front is roughly the same size hole as in the back. With the smaller grained bullets, they expand readily and throw pieces of shrapnel in the body they penetrate. I forget if it was a specific make of 147gr JHP or if this is for 147Gr JHP ingeneral.

I am sorry I cannot back this up with my sources at the moment (all gun information sites-except this one-are banned at work, I will try to find information on this when I get home this evening)
    I would agree that early 147 gr loads were inconsistent in their ability to expand. Current designs are engineered to reliably expand under various conditions.

All handgun rounds are weak and rather unreliable when it comes down to it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eric's comment is correct. The newest generation of 9mm 147 JHP offer better performance. I re-read the FBI ballistic and Dr Gary Roberts's report for ammo selection & performance. Factors such barrier penetration-dry wall, car doors, windows & heavy clothing, etc can influence the expansion of the 9mm 147 JHP.

The main concern is over penetration of the JHP. The rd does it's job but continues on and may strike another object. A second consideration as you stated is under penetration of the round where it may travel less then 8-10 inches after striking the target. (the JHP may not perform as designed or strike a solid object within the target, ie bone). The FBI protocal for ammo selection & performance established a set standard for performance and many manufacturers have met that standard.

Can we say for sure which rd will out do the other, no. Your decision of 9mm ammo selection is always going to be based on cost & other influences. If you are looking for a cost effective 9mm rd, the big companies such as Winchester and Federal make very good 9mm 147 JHP-design of the bullet.

Other staff members and members offered their round selection, we all have our preferences. Handgun rounds are effective as your shot placement-center mass/CNS hits-make them count. Be safe.

Some of the 9mm rounds tested by Dr Roberts and have shown good results.

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)