Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick Seekins Precision Billet lower overview

I recently picked up a Seekins Precision Billet Lower from Rainier along with a Noveske lower, after seeing the pics put up here. Definitely a different look, and will most likely be the base for my SBR build.

I don't have a complete LPK, but extra parts laying around fit perfectly, and I pulled my Armalite middy upper and Rainier stripped upper, and both fit very snug without play. Biggest perk for me is the front magwell, as I've yet to get comfortable with a VFG, and have always held the front magwell. PMAGs drop freely, the VLTOR receiver end plate almost 'snaps' in once the extension tube is in place. It's taking a bit to grow on me as far as appearances, but overall feel is wonderful for how I shoot the weapon. I'm kicking the idea of either a Timney or Giselle SSA for this. I have time, I'm waiting on the new Rainier billet upper to go with this.

One somewhat important note: The trigger guard has a very noticeable bevel to it, and where it mates up to the grip leaves at least the MOE grip having the corners protrude on either side. I used an exacto knife to scribe the corners and used a dremel with a cutoff bit to shape it and a small flap wheel to clean it up. The corners of the MOE grip are noticeable on this lower, and uncomfortable if left on. Lighting in the last few pics somewhat exaggerate the cut, but it doesn't change hand position any and maintains a comfortable hold.

A few quick shots:

Overall I'm pretty tickled with this. Since I'll be married to this on a Form 1, may as well do it different as well as functional.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    A pic to explain the grip issue I had. I didn't have another MOE to use without taking it off another rifle, but the stock style grip shows the same "corner issue".

A shot with my only complete upper at the moment, the 16" midlength with 10" Lite rail: (can't do outside shots with the rain today, sorry for the quality)

Also, measurements for the front magwell width is 1.451" versus the stock magwell width of 1.076".

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd definitely be interested in seeing more of this lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also picked up one of these as a base to build from and will post pics as I complete the lower and then the whole rifle.

I was going to put an MOE or MIAD grip on mine, but I have an Ergo that I will try fit on first to see how that works out--good to know that if I go Magpul on the grip that I may need to do some shaving to keep the ergonomic flow of the receiver at the trigger guard. Thanks.
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the same grip issue with my APA lower, I filed down the front piece of my MIAD to accommodate the taper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are a few additional images.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should have mine in hand this weekend from my FFL to start my build.

Already Procured:
    - Seekins Precision Lower
    - RRA LPK
    - Sun Devil Upper w/ FA
    - YHM 16" Chrome-lined Carbine Barrel
    - DD Lite Rail 12
    - DD Gas Block
    - DD Sling Mount (ambi-burnsed loop)
    - Magpul MIAD Grip
    - Bushmaster 2-stage competition trigger w/ ambi-safety
    - Misc items - bolt, bolt carriage, firing pin, charging handle with PRI combat big-latch, Magpul XTM rail covers, carbine length gas tube.

TBD Items Needed:
    - Magpul stock (want UBR), buffer, buffer tube, MBUS, flash hider/compensator (leaning PWS), sight mount (will get ADM), FG (will get Bobro).

Probably a few things I need to do still. I'll post pics when completed
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    My build is on hold waiting on the Rainier Billet upper and other paperwork. I'm waiting to see other builds with these.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have not bought the Rainier upper yet, take a look at the lines of the Seekins lower and compare the symmetry of the cuts/grooves/edges on the Seekins to it, especially forward of the trigger guard, against the various cuts/grooves/edges of your prospective upper. The design of the Seekins is what made me go with the Sun Devil. I wanted a VLTOR, but the backlog of orders was one factor, but I also started looking at the symmetry of the VLTOR design against the Seekins and I think a few things were out of symmetry. I thought the Sun Devil would work better after some close examination. I guess I am being pretty anal here, but that's just my 2 cents. I will post pics of the Sun Devil on the Seekins as soon as my FFL calls me to pick up my lower receiver. I will make some annotations on the pics to show what I mean.
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like to see a picture of it mated to a MUR.
    Distribute my work ethic, not my paycheck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankieclarke/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1982 View Post
    I would like to see a picture of it mated to a MUR.

I'll see if I can dig one up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fed - That has crossed my mind for the very same reasons.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My FFL called, so I will pick up my Seekins tomorrow evening. I will go ahead and post pics of the Seekins with the Sun Devil sitting on top of it--unless Stick has a Sun Devil laying around to put on his Seekins.

What we are really looking for are the contours and beveling of the upper receiver's form and details like bumpouts and the continuation of lines from upper to lower, which I believe the Sun Devil and Seekins are both similar in that they lack many of the standard forms.

The big one for me on an upper is the bump outs forward of and above the bolt catch that runs down to the mag release on the left side. Note Stick's last pic on this page (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ed=1#post11696). The Seekins uses a ridge that needs a flat sided or beveled edge upper to mate with. I think the VLTOR possesses some of these features I am looking to avoid. Also note the lines on the right side to the rear of the ejection port cover on a standard upper. These vertical edges on the standard upper look a little weird over the Seekins.

The Sun Devil uses a beveled seam where it mates to the lower with virtually no vertical lines that need to carry on downward to the lower receiver. Look at the Rainier pics of the Sun Devil - http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1079.

I probably sound like a chick or something being so stuck on the aesthetics, but I want my first "from-scratch" build to be good.
    Last edited by federalist22; 1 August 2009 at 17:23.
    - Federalist22