Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A buddy has a Carbon-15 and my first impression was negative. But we've taken it out many times in the last year and now I love it. Very light and manuverable. And always works. Also it takes standard AR components including the fcg.

I would be concerned how durable the composite material is. Hopefully nothing like all the pictures of broken Vulcan lowers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Working with carbon composites, I can definitely attest to its strength and weaknesses. The carbon receivers on the market today are not engineered to the best designs, I don't think.

Let's keep in mind that carbon fiber composites, if done properly, is stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum. Race cars' carbon fiber hoods can support two full grown men standing on top of them without flexing. Formula 1 cars' brake rotors are carbon. Aircraft brake rotors are carbon. It's quite evident that those are extremely high heat and stress areas.

Although composite materials do not corrode, carbon fiber can and will weaken to ultraviolet exposure; an anti-UV coating is necessary to preserve integrity.

It's only a matter of time before a quality composite receiver is designed. I would definitely jump on the bandwagon for one. But until then, aluminum does the job just fine.

-rebelEMPIRE

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are looking to slap together a carbine that is sooper light only for the sake of being light, then maybe the Carbon-15 woulf fill your needs.

If you are looking for a lightweight carbine that actually runs reliably, then forget the Carbon-15's and the Vulcan's and stick with MilSpec upper & lower receivers.