Downloads
    Uploads

Questions about suppressors with SBR's

I am sorry if I am asking a question that has been asked many times before. I have been considering adding a suppressor to my carbine because I like the idea of not having my eardrums ringing like mad in a self-defense situation. However, I am not real big on having that extra length added to the gun. I am not much of a real distance or target shooter, I really just need the gun to be accurate enough for close quarter, which brings me to my questions.

I know there is a standard barrel length a gun has to meet in order to NOT be considered an SBR, and that is 16" with a fixed flash device, correct? If you go with a thread-on, permanently fixed can, such as the Ranger 2 from AAC, can you go with a shorter barrel and use the silencer to make that legal limit and avoid paying the extra taxes for SBR's? If so, does anyone know what is the minimum length barrel I could go with in order to hit that limit with the aforementioned can? I would also like to still use my Omega Rail 7.0 with this barrel, so I need the carbine length gas system. If this won't work, and just the installation of the short barrels is enough to force the stamp issue, I assume I would have to pay twice, once for the SBR and once for the suppressor, correct? What else do I need to consider here? Also, about how many rounds can you expect a can from AAC to last before it needs replacement? and will I have to pay that tax all over again if I buy a new suppressor if and when that happens? I know that was a bunch of stuff, and I greatly appreciate any info anyone can give. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Creeky,

The general rule of thumb has always been to go with the SBR and can, not to try to skip the SBR. There are plenty of times when I go shooting that I don't use a can (even though I'm got a few of them).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me see if I can't help with a few of these ...

I know there is a standard barrel length a gun has to meet in order to NOT be considered an SBR, and that is 16" with a fixed flash device, correct?
    Yes and no. 16" is the minimum barrel length, but a flash device isn't really part of the equation unless you go to something less than 16" on the barrel itself. In that case, you must have a permanently-attached brake/device that brings the physical length of the barrel (with attachments) to that 16" minimum figure.

Examples:

16" (or longer) barrel with or without a flash suppressor = OK

14.5" barrel with a non-removable 1.5" flash suppressor that reaches an overall length of 16" = OK

14.5" (or less) barrel with or without a flash suppressor, or with a 1.5" flash suppressor that can readily be unscrewed/removed = NOT OK

If you go with a thread-on, permanently fixed can, such as the Ranger 2 from AAC, can you go with a shorter barrel and use the silencer to make that legal limit and avoid paying the extra taxes for SBR's?
    Not unless you were permanently installing the suppressor (i.e. making it non-removable) so you could reach that 16" figure --but this would limit you to one very maintenance-unfriendly confguration.

If so, does anyone know what is the minimum length barrel I could go with in order to hit that limit with the aforementioned can?
    SInce the Ranger 2 adds 4.2" to the end of the barrel, you would need to mount it on a 12" barrel. Obviously, in a standard production length, it would probably be more useful to say that you would be looking at a 12.5" barrel.

... I assume I would have to pay twice, once for the SBR and once for the suppressor, correct?
    Yes, that is correct, as you would be in possession of two separate NFA items.

What else do I need to consider here? Also, about how many rounds can you expect a can from AAC to last before it needs replacement? and will I have to pay that tax all over again if I buy a new suppressor if and when that happens?
    The round count isn't really the issue, since a suppressor can be rebuilt as long as the tube itself (as the serial numbered component) is not damaged beyond repair. Where people get into trouble is when they mount the can with a misalignment of some sort, or experience a keyholing round that badly damages the end cap. Barring this, almost anything can be fixed, and you can keep a suppressor running for many, many years without a lot of drama. To go back to your earlier question though, if you do manage to trash your suppressor, you're looking at a costly cut-and-replace operation if your intent is to keep your barrel at a non-NFA length.

The bottom line here is this: in trying to save yourself an extra $200 tax stamp, you are probably going to put yourself through about $1,000 worth of inconvenience and aggravation. It is a far easier -- and better -- thing to just pay up front to give yourself as many long-term options as possible.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the info, AC. You were a big help :)