Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Premium Grade AKs

We're all familiar with the old "AR vs. AK" arguments, with AR proponents citing better ergonomics and accuracy and AK proponents citing low cost reliability. No need to rehash that here as we are all familiar with each platform's strengths and weaknesses.

Up until a few years ago, I had no interest in the AK platform. Every sample I had seen and handled struck me as crude, unsophisiticated and certainly not something I would want to invest any time or money on. I then came across an online review of a Krebs Custom rifle, and based on the glowing review I paid the Krebs website a visit. While custom pistolsmiths and riflesmiths abound, I never would have thought that someone would specialize in building AKs. The concept of a high quality, hand-fitted AK caught my interest and a few weeks later, I placed an order with Krebs.

A few months later, the Krebs rifle (a Russian Izhmash/Saiga conversion) arrived at my local gun shop/FFL dealer and with much anticipation I went to pick it up. Initial inspection revealed an AK like I have never seen/handled before - a rifle that exuded a very high level of quality and workmanship.

It's now been a few years since I have owned the Krebs rifle, and it has continued to earn my respect and admiration. I have used it for a few IDPA-style carbine matches, used an assortment magazines and ammo, and it functions with absolute reliability. Accuracy with Russian Barnaul steel case bi-metal projectiles stays under 3 MOA if I do my part, which for a defensive close-range carbine is more than adequate. With an Aimpoint mounted in a modifed BP-02 mount, I can make fast hits as well.

Since owning and using this rifle, I have come to admire and respect Mr. Kalashnikov's design. It will never have the "finesse" of a more highly-engineered design, but the combination of simple/rugged design and the excellence of Kreb's execution is something that instills confidence. The current low cost of quality 7.62 X 39 ammo is a major benefit too, allowing me enough range time to "stay in tune" with this rifle.

While I ponder "reliability upgrades" for my Bushmaster, the Krebs AK-103k remains my go-to rifle. Even if I end up with a Colt or LMT in my safe, the Krebs rifle has earned its spot and will always remain a rifle that I would stake my life on.

FWIW, I still have no interest in "low end" AKs, but the ones that are put together right - with quality components - are IMO worth the investment.

Photo 1 - my AK-103 in its current configuration with Aimpoint CompC3 in a modified BP-2 mount, SAW grip and Blue Force Gear sling. A stud was installed in the lower handguard for use with a Harris bipod.

Photo 2 - Aimpoint does not sit low enough to co-witness, but the BP-02 mount detaches quickly and hold zero well.

Photo 3 - typical 100 yard group using Russian Barnaul 123 grain full bi-metal jacket, steel case ammo. Not on par with a good AR, but more than adequate for close-range defensive use. I discovered (by accident) when sighting in the Aimpoint that this projectile sails right through the 1-inch angle iron target frame at 100 yards - something to keep in mind in any defensive-use scenario. I use "Silver Bear" hollow point ammo for matches that include steel targets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    AK's besides what I saw in a foreign weapons class in the military many years ago was the extent of exposure to them. About 6months ago for some unknown reason I started to really want one. The next thing you know I have 3 and im working on number 4. Lucky for me there are a couple of quality builders nearby one of which being Lancaster who has a factory 15minutes from the house.

Topmaul Guest
    I did my own conversion to my Saiga 7.62x39 and my Saiga 12 shotgun they came out nice. [IMG][/IMG]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Topmaul View Post
    I did my own conversion to my Saiga 7.62x39 and my Saiga 12 shotgun they came out nice. [IMG][/IMG]
    How do you use the scope mounted that far forward on the weapon?
    "I’m an average nobody, I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook."

Topmaul Guest
    I put an Ultimak Rail up there, this configuration really does not work as well as I had hoped.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Topmaul View Post
    I put an Ultimak Rail up there, this configuration really does not work as well as I had hoped.
    How so?

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sold my two Romanians a year or so ago in hopes of replacing them with a more quality weapon. I'm still trying to decide which one to get. This one looks very nice, and the Arsenal guns look great too.

To many choices, not enough money.

Topmaul Guest
    The scope is a 1.75x4 pistol scope on extra high mounts. On the lowest setting I can shoot with both eyes open but on higher magnifications I close one eye.

I thin the reason It does not work all that great is that using a high mounted scope for close work puts the shot pattern way low, what I need to do is just put a dot up there and forget the forward mounted scope idea. It just did not work for my intended purposes. Also the scope would not clear the sights so I could not aim with irons under the scope. Even if I could get the scope out of the way just it being there is too much clutter in my FOV the solution is to carry a scope on a side rail mount when I need range simply slide it on bingo mounted scope.

Conclusion not pracitcal.
    Last edited by Topmaul; 11 July 2008 at 03:43.

306FTW Guest
    The Krebs are definitely nice. Know if I could just land an Arsenal 105 .....or a 107 but then I can't SBR it being in IL.

Here's my lonely ROMAKII, while I don't view very many Romy's as premium ROMAKS, CURS, Mk's are about as close as you can get to a military AK. My ROMAK even has the third Y. She shoots like a dream also and since getting it I've put a few scratches on her (looked brand new when I got it).

AK's are only a step behind AR's IMO. The mag changes are what hurts them. You can make an AK accurate out to 200 easily and reliable as hell (they already come). W/ that said, those pesky mag changes take a lot of practice.

The one thing to remember about Arsenals is this, the finish sucks and expect to have it re-finished.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to get an Arsenal SLR-108 when they come out to replace
    my Polish Underfolder that was stolen in Jan.
    I am really jonesing for an AK again..
    I will be putting it through its paces at a Carbine course this fall if I get it in time...

CXS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heres a suggestion for a premium grade AK at a non Arsenal price for those still looking. Mark Graham as fate would have it is one of my Karate students and owns www.Arizonaresponsesystems.com
    He was the 2007 Small Arms Reviews magazine Gunsmith of the year and makes a awesome AK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIHAN View Post
    Heres a suggestion for a premium grade AK at a non Arsenal price for those still looking. Mark Graham as fate would have it is one of my Karate students and owns www.Arizonaresponsesystems.com
    He was the 2007 Small Arms Reviews magazine Gunsmith of the year and makes a awesome AK.
    Just sent him an email,
    Thanks.

CXS

Downloads
    Uploads
    He will take good care of you.
    If you dont hear back for some reason his SPAM filter might be at fault.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIHAN View Post
    He will take good care of you.
    If you dont hear back for some reason his SPAM filter might be at fault.
    He replied next morning..
    Too bad he wont do Custom Builds..
    I really didn't want anything too custom.
    Coated green with no furniture.
    I was gonna add my own Black furniture.
    Oh well.

CXS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sad as it is to say, I've only got one AK. I keep kicking around the idea of picking up a "nice" one, but it doesn't really seem to have the appeal after the ammo price jump of a few years back.

I've thought about going with the 74 variants also, but I am trying to consolidate calibers.

My Maadi.