Downloads
    Uploads

Trijicon RMR: RDS Evolution?

Without a doubt, the contemporary military/LEO Red Dot Sight market is dominated by Aimpoint and EOTech (and for good reason) but given Trijicon's reputation for quality and innovation, I can't help but wonder why the RMR hasn't been more of a topic of conversation of late.

MANUFACTURER'S PRODUCT INFORMATION HERE

Now, product brochures can't really speak to suitability for operational use, durability in the field, or even integrity of design, but it would seem that the RMR could potentially offer the best of both worlds. Is it simply too new to have made much of a mark yet, or is this just more of a niche product -- like the Docter or comparable micros?

One thing seems clear: the more I see about this new sight, the more I want to know.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think part of it is the size of the dot in the fiber optic one. 9moa is rather large, and a lot of folks aren't happy with that. I'd love to hear some reports from someone who has actually gone hands on with it.
    -Adam

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had one of the MRDS for a while. It suffers from wash out in dark environments with a VLI on a light colored target. At least the 4MOA version I have does. And that is even with stacking two batteries.
    I want to try out one of the RMRs, but I don't have a lot of faith in them overcoming that with the dual-illum models, and I don't know that they have made significant changes in the circuitry for the battery-powered version to overcome this issue.
    It has some significant improvements over the MRDS. I may try to pick one up to try it out and see how it does.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeves915 View Post
    I think part of it is the size of the dot in the fiber optic one. 9moa is rather large, and a lot of folks aren't happy with that. I'd love to hear some reports from someone who has actually gone hands on with it.
    -Adam
    I was looking more at the LED variants, which come in 4 or 8 MOA, but I definitely follow your logic; especially when you consider that many find 2 MOA preferable to 4 in the various Aimpoint models. 8 or 9 may be well-suited to handgun applications, but they certainly don't offer much to a carbine shooter looking to 100m and beyond.

The other thing that I wasn't immediately tracking was the price. Granted, we're talking about a Trijicon product, but when the MSRP for an RMR places it at, or above, the EOTech/Aimpoint level, this becomes a much easier decision to make. Street price differs, I'm sure, but for the same money (more or less), no RMR seems likely to beat a T-1.

Still, I do like the idea of a small reflex, provided the durability and utility were on par with the best-in-class RDS models with which we are already familiar.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    AC:
    I think that the 9moa model would have some versatility on a shotgun as well. But, yes, if my money came down to buying an Aimpoint (5yrs+ of battery life) with a 2moa dot, or a 9moa battery-less RMR, I'd go Aimpoint (on a carbine).
    -Adam

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    The other thing that I wasn't immediately tracking was the price. Granted, we're talking about a Trijicon product, but when the MSRP for an RMR places it at, or above, the EOTech/Aimpoint level, this becomes a much easier decision to make. Street price differs, I'm sure, but for the same money (more or less), no RMR seems likely to beat a T-1.
    AC
    Chief:
    The LED RMR is really geared more towards the Micro crowd, so you are right in that regard. The dual illum is more along the lines of the MRDS, Docter, JPoint, Burris, and PFO.
    Your final point about not beating a T-1 will probably be accurate until Trij comes out with a way to manually override the dot brightness. Unless they have come up with an improvement to the photosensor as found in the MRDS, it will not provide optimal brightness in all settings.
    In terms of the dot size, keep in mind that a lot of these are going to be used as a close-in back up to the not-quite-optimal BAC and the BUIS mounted on top of the NSN. 9 MOA is not excessive in those circumstances. At 100M that's about the size of a head.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can really tell how long I've been away from LEO and 3-gun applications ... I hadn't even considered the shotgun!

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Please, PLEASE tell me Andrew's going to release a mount for this. Please?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can tell you why I won't be trying one of these.

Price:$650.00
    At that price for something that hasn't caught on (and will therefore be hard to dump if I don't like it) they'd have to send me one for free for me to even consider it.

Even the other models at $400+ are still too much to take a chance on.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Concur. That places them on par, price-wise, with the best RDS units in the business, and while the RMR may deserve a place among their number, it isn't likely to get it if this becomes a dollar-for-dollar comparison.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've pretty much tried all of the micro red dot sights such as the DOC, JPoint, and Fastfire with various optics such as an ACOG and on top of a regular scope and I found them to be more of a pain in the ass than anything. I found out that i'd be better off with having several optics on QD mounts and swapping them out then to have a do-it-all set-ip, which was nothing bit a compromise.
    Those Trijicon MRD sights are no different and the price just makes it worse.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me a micro red dot sight must have an off-switch and an override function for the auto-bright mode. Only the C-More and the Insight Technologies offer these features.

http://www.insighttechgear.com/products-mrds.htm

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/C...ght-P1101.aspx

Downloads
    Uploads
    I already know I'm going to end up buying one of these once the battery/tritium/fiberoptic version comes out in Red dot, so I'm already assuming I'm stuck with that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One more to add to that list: Pride-Fowler.
    http://www.rapidreticle.com/sopscauto.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Walli View Post
    For me a micro red dot sight must have an off-switch and an override function for the auto-bright mode. Only the C-More and the Insight Technologies offer these features.

http://www.insighttechgear.com/products-mrds.htm

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/C...ght-P1101.aspx