Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Midwest Industries AK Rail

I've started to review the new MI Universal AK rail.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_id=241

Questions, comments or anything else.....? Fire away, I'll answer whatever I can. I think this will also start a AK project as well for WEVO Staff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a good looking piece of equipment and looks like good quality especially for the price. Definitely blows away the handguards that Tapco has out. I have been going back and forth on whether to put rails on mine or leave the wood but this piece has me leaning once again toward the rail side.

Thanks for the review and the information.

OOH I just looked at the linked website and saw that it will soon be available in green and flat dark earth. OOH OOH!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick,
    can this be mounted to a saiga 12?

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CCK View Post
    Stick,
    can this be mounted to a saiga 12?

Chris

Good question, I'm not sure and don't have enough time on the Saiga. I'll see if I can find out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would it be possible to see a sight height comparison with the Ultimak rail, possibly with an Aimpoint Micro series on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't own an Ultimak rail, so thats not going to be possible from me. Another person might have one they can show.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    The ultimak sits alot lower, replaces the Gas Tube, is attached to the barrel, and allows for Co-Witness.
    If Co-Witness is a moot point, and the top rail attaches VERY securely to something besides the Gas Tube, this rail seems like a winner for running optics.
    The price is really nice as the Ultimak top rail is close to the price of this set of MI rails.
    I'd like to see an extended lower rail and that's about the only cosmetic detail I'd change..
    My only real worry is the Top rails mounting. If its not solid enough to hold a decent "zero" with Mini/Micro red dot..

CXS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got a few questions. Have you had a chance to run it and see how well the optic holds zero on it. Also did you encounter any issues with the vfg being in the way during mag changes?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Had one more question Stickman. Does the method by which the handguard attaches to the gun look solid enough to prevent rotation? I'm a little worried that a whack to the optic or vfg could rotate the handguard and throw off the optic's zero. I'd like to get one of these, but I'm a little concerned about this until I hear otherwise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you there Stickman? Sorry for the bump, I would just like an answer on this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are two (2) anti-rotational set screws that adjust up against the gas piston tube to keep it from rotating.

I just installed 2 of these railed handguards on 2 SAR-2's. Nice unit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    There are two (2) anti-rotational set screws that adjust up against the gas piston tube to keep it from rotating.

I just installed 2 of these railed handguards on 2 SAR-2's. Nice unit.
    Great! That's what I was hoping to hear. This handguard is the perfect solution for my problem with putting a light and an aimpoint on my wasr-10. I think I'll order one tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sodak,

I'm sorry, I completely missed your reply, I'm glad it got answered.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Make sure you reinstall the cleaning rod thru the barrel & gas block guides before you put the lower handguard on. I couldn't get mine to go in the whole way once I had the handguard all the way on. I had to take it back down once I gave up on trying to fiddle with it to no avail.

I don't use it because I use other bore cleaning tools but if you want to retain the "look" the rod has to go on & down the whole way before installing the hand guard IMO.

One other thing is that the unit will not allow you to use the factory forward sling mount thats built into the handguard bracket on a SAR-2 since the side rail came right up to the sling bracket. So I installed a CQD forward sling mount on the side rail.
    Last edited by Talyn; 27 August 2009 at 19:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also installed Magpul XTM panels on the side & bottom rails. I put 2 panels on coming from the back end on each which give you a good hand-hold position. I put ladder rail protectors on the remaining front portions of the side & bottom rails (except for the left with the CQD sling mount) for other attachments like a light mount & vert grip.

The XTM's barely snap shut on the rails and are tight. The rails must be at the upper end of the Picatinney specs.

My .02