Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you use this on a Yugo underfolder?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have a Yugo so I don't know if it needs any special handguard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Talyn, did you use locktite when attaching the rail?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. Just a touch of "blue" on the screw threads. Not too much.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last question(hopefully) Talyn. Did the XTM panels add much size to the forend? I'm debating between these and ladder covers with the XTM winning because of price and they look like they would shiled my hand from the handguard better if it got hot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I went ahead and ordered one from midway(they have them at a good price too). I got it in FDE along with 2 sets of xtm panels. Hopefully it gets here on friday so I can check it out labor day weekened. Just got to get a FDE surefire G2 to go with it now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Last question(hopefully) Talyn. Did the XTM panels add much size to the forend? I'm debating between these and ladder covers with the XTM winning because of price and they look like they would shiled my hand from the handguard better if it got hot.
    Sorry for the late reply. The XTM panels added on are just fine. I have med/karge sized hands and the subsequent grip with the panels on is just right. Starting from the back end of the handguard I put 2 complete panels on at 3-6-9 oclock and it gives me a very nice grip area with suffcient room ahead for accessories.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got to look at mine today and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Instalation was easy and midwest is nice enough to include the needed locktite and allen wrenches for assembly.I haven't got to shoot my gun with it on yet, but I hope to change that tomorrow.

As others have said, it looks to be of good quality and for the price it would be tough to beat. I can't think of any other accessory that offers both a railed handguard for a light and vfg, but at the same time allowing the mounting of a red dot. Seems like a good deal to me.

I have seen a few things I don't care for on the rail though, but these aren't really the fault of MI. It's more or less the nature of a railed handguard and the reality of putting optics on an AK. I found that sticking a surefire G2, a bunch of xtm panels, and an aimpoint 9000sc does add a lot of weight to the gun. The gun has gotten pretty heavy and it's all up front, which isn't great. I would guess that a lighter flashlight and something like an aimpoint micro would help cut down on the weight quite a bit. Since this was kind of my budget-ish build, I'm just going to live with the heavier aimpoint since I got it pretty cheap($200 new from midway) and this isn't my main go to gun at the time.

I wish I could cowitness my red dot, but it sits too high on the handguard for that to happen. To solve this I might get some QD rings to I can romove my aimpoint if it goes down so I can use my irons.

Talyn I should have heeded your warning on the cleaning rod deal better. I can't get mine back in either. I guess it's catching on various edges on the receiver or something. It's not a big deal since all I had it on there was for emergencies(think getting something stuck in the barrel), but I might still ry and see if I can get it in there.

So all in all, I think it looks to be a good product MI has put out on the market. However, I still have to reserve my final judgement until I can get out and shoot the thing. Hope I can get to that soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got to run about 120 or so round through it today and things went pretty good. I sighted it in at 50 yards from a prne position so I wasn't able to get it perfectly on with my less than great shooting, but I think it's pretty close.

I did encounter some forward and back shifting with the rail. I would say it went ahead 2-3mm and then went back. I did notice that the barrel clamp screws weren't completely tight, so I tightened them down some more. I'll have to see if that helps. Hopefully I'll be able to give this setup a tougher test at the end of the month when I go to a local gun shoot.

One side note. When I had to tighten down the barrel clamp screws, I was pleased to learn that I could get at those screws with the supplied allen wrench through the vent holes on the handguard with no dissasemlby needed. I don't know if that was an intentional design feature or just luck, but I'm glad I can check the tightness of the barrel clamp without taking the handguard apart.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the cleaning rod take the rail unit off & put the rod thru the barrel guides. Then reinstall the lower handguard & the rest if the unit. You'll have the look.

BTW - Cowitnessing the red dot is over rated. Just know where your irons and red dot are sighted in for.

Glad you like the unit like I do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't really want to remove the rail so I doubt the cleaning rod will be going back in anytime soon.

I just like the idea of cowitness so that in the event my aimpoint goes down I can just go back to my irons. That and I'm one of those people who doesn't care to leave their aimpoint on 24/7 so I wouldn't mind having irons in case I have to grab my rifle for immediate use and my aimpoint is off. The last part isn't a big deal since this isn't my go to gun though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just one thing I'll add, it's a nice looking rail but would not work for someone using an AK 74 or shooting corrosive ammo. You couldn't return to zero after removal to clean the gas tube. Would be nice if it had two throw levers to mount the upper rail to the lower- such that it could easily be removed and re-installed for such cleaning.

If the lower rail was mounted to the barrel then the throw levers would allow the upper to be removed and re-installed back to zero for cleaning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
    Just one thing I'll add, it's a nice looking rail but would not work for someone using an AK 74 or shooting corrosive ammo. You couldn't return to zero after removal to clean the gas tube. Would be nice if it had two throw levers to mount the upper rail to the lower- such that it could easily be removed and re-installed for such cleaning.

If the lower rail was mounted to the barrel then the throw levers would allow the upper to be removed and re-installed back to zero for cleaning.
    #1 I have a SAR-2 which is a 74 & it works fine on mine.

#2 I don't have to disemble the handguard to clean the gas tube. Take out the bolt/piston assembly. Squirt in some windex & then swab out with cleaning patches till your satisfied. Clean off the piston with what windex or whatever else you use to neutralize. Reassemble & your good to go. You've kept your zero.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can someone please tell me if the lower rail can be mounted WITHOUT the top rail? I have zero desire to secure the gas tube to the lower since I run corrosive ammo and need to clean the tube out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently installed one of these, unfortunately Bryant, the answer is no....it is a two piece design and both the upper and lower piece are required.