Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What paint to use?

Hey guys i'm looking to re-color my PTR91 (yes i know it's not an H&K shame on me) trigger group and folding stock to a FDE color, but i'm wondering what stuff is good to use for polymer and won't get all sticky when its hot (summers are avg 110 degrees) or when my hands get a little sweaty. I'd love to do a duracoat or similar eventually but i'm looking relatively cheap and fast at the moment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would use Krylon if I wanted to stay super cheap, otherwise I would look at some of the air cured Norrells, or at some of the Brownells spray can finishes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cheap? Fast? Not the end of the world if it looks worn? Krylon.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey worn only adds to the look, so Krylon it is. Thanks guys. And for future references, has any one used the Almua-hyde stuff from brownells?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take a look at Krylon Fusion. It's specifically made for painting plastics.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    Take a look at Krylon Fusion. It's specifically made for painting plastics.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

My experiences have been less than impressive, and the color selection might not be what he wants. Last time I looked they were all glossy finishes, with maybe few semi-gloss thrown in.

Have you been able to do anything on weapons with it that had a decent outcome? If so, they may have changed their formula, but please share how you did it. I won't bother trying it again, but if you have a secret, I could try to pry my closed mind open a bit....

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was years ago that I first tried Fusion, pretty much right after it came out on the market and there was such a big buzz about it.

I had decent results and nothing special or secret as far as parts prep goes, just a good de-greasing. I think the secret, as with any paint, is to apply multiple thin layers with ample drying time in between.

ETA I: I've also used the Fusion Satin Black on AR furniture with decent results.

ETA II: There's also this Fusion out now. More colors suitable for weapons.....

http://www.krylon.com/products/camou...on_technology/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that Krylon has the CamoII, I might look into that. I figured something like this was in the works since they pulled their old chemistry camouflage lines.
    For now, I've been extremely happy using the 'low end' krylon, and fully embracing the worn look on my rifles.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sweet now i have to go and track down some of the fusion stuff. I'll post pics probably later this week or next of the newly painted gun. Don't laugh too hard, it is my first time painting a firearm. And tips on degreasing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Walmart has it in all camo colors (non-fusion)

I've found the fusion not worth the difference myself

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aervoe. Nuff said.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I pay $15 for enough duracoat to paint 2-3 rifles , krylon you can work off with your fingers .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Duracoat is tough...but you have to be willing to completely disassemble and properly prep your parts if you want it done right. It also requires more equipment than an index finger to push down a spray tip.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is krylon on a VLTOR stock.

And it's on my CX4
    "Ever notice the sound of a gun being charged is the universal language of dominance?"

Why I own a Grendel: "You don't shoot 6.5 bullets. You toss them in the air, they go downrange on their own."

There are no such things as problems. There are only opportunities for solutions. And I've arrived at a solution for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I pay $15 for enough duracoat to paint 2-3 rifles , krylon you can work off with your fingers .

I didn't think it was that cheap.