Thread: Remington ACR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    You're a saucy flirt.

Its true.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How backwards compatible are the gas systems/barrels going to be? Say, if I wanted all my barrel hardware to originate from Grants Pass, could that be done fairly easily (despite the cost)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Adaptive barrels... hmmm. That's quite a nice feature in and of itself, but wouldn't you have to zero your optics again?

In my opinion, having adaptive upper receivers makes much more sense--more money, but nonetheless more sense.

I love how everything is ambi and the relocation of the charging handle, but it really doesn't seem much more modular than the AR platform.

Lastly, since it appears that much of the ACR is polymer, I wonder what the overall weight is; it looks lighter than your typical M4 variety.

-rebelEMPIRE

Downloads
    Uploads
    Combine an interchangeable barrel with separate operating groups, and you can make the same upper run 5.56, 6.8, 6.5, 5.45 by changing only those parts. THAT'S modular.

Ambi is nice, but couple the bolt catch and charging handle locations together. Now try clearing a double feed... you see where I'm going with this.

From the old technote, it's almost a pound lighter in 14.5" form.
    Also, barrel reattachment is within 1 MOA, so zero is workable for up-close (would zero with longest barrel, can switch to shorter in a pinch without re-zeroing). Past 300m, the different external ballistics based on barrel lengths are more of a concern, but since it retains a close enough zero, switching to a shorter barrel is fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelEMPIRE View Post
    Adaptive barrels... hmmm. That's quite a nice feature in and of itself, but wouldn't you have to zero your optics again?

In my opinion, having adaptive upper receivers makes much more sense--more money, but nonetheless more sense.

I love how everything is ambi and the relocation of the charging handle, but it really doesn't seem much more modular than the AR platform.

Lastly, since it appears that much of the ACR is polymer, I wonder what the overall weight is; it looks lighter than your typical M4 variety.

-rebelEMPIRE
    There is a lot more steel in the ACR than in your typical AR, the piston system weighs more than a simple gas tube, Magpul's polymers are quite dense, and the adjustable stock has many more parts than a standard M4 sliding stock. I'm willing to bet the weights come out pretty close, if not slighly in favor of an M4.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At much as I want this gun and have funds socked away for it I am not holding my breath on this one..
    "In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where we can see them."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AR Performance View Post
    At SHOT last Jan, we looked at both, well we looked at the Magpul Masada, they would not let us touch it, but the FN salesman watched as and we stripped the SCAR in about 30 seconds LOL.

The Masada has some great features but the rail system the bolt slides in/on as it was built made me go hmm?, I heard it has been completly redesigned by Remy or Bushmaster. It will be interesting to see how it works after the current builder gets finished with it.
    Just personal opinion, the SCAR is the way I'm going.
    Magpul or others, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Magpul only had MASOUDS in the booth and not MASADAS... or did I just not see the MASADA there? I talked to Drake and Costa but only saw them with the MASOUD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    the Masada was there, but strapped to the rack and non-removable at the very top of the rack.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    If, as Stick suggests, we do get a civil version that is every bit the equal of the Remington contract contender, then I suppose my enthusiasm will build rapidly ... at which point, we end up with the second major problem: dealing with supply and demand issues, and trying to find one at a fair price. I'm not suggesting that market forces are somehow the bad guy here, but if the ACR goes the way of the SCAR -- which it inevitably will -- then the feeding frenzy is sure to keep prices high, and availability relatively low, as hoarders work their magic on Gunbroker.

Here's hoping that my atypical pessimism is unwarranted.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not only market issues of supply and demand for the base gun, but support supply issues in terms of spare parts etc.

I don't think the uniqueness of the platform is insurmountable (assuming spares are available) since any good shooter is going to have a stock of spare parts, or a spare gun, for any gun that sees hard use. But it is certainly a consideration, and will definitely dampen whatever enthusiasm I have for my uses.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spare parts? You weren't actually going to shoot the thing, were you?

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Will this be out by 2012? I have a Mayan calendar date to meet. ; )

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bushmaster is still saying Q1 2010. I'm pretty optimistic for later in the year.

Downloads
    Uploads

My STEYR AUG

My STEYR AUG seems to be at least as adaptive as this new Magpul/Bushmaster/Remington beast. In fact the American made version of the AUG by MSAR has the option of 5.56 NATO or 6.8 SPC cartridges. I dunno if MSAR's barrels and bolts will fit my AUG but the MSAR is available new for a LOT less than I can get for my used STEYR AUG.

I've had my AUG since 1988 and with ten 30 rnd. and one 43 rnd. magazines, a blank firing adapter, bayonet lug and both standard and split ski sling it will be an easy sale should I ever want to part with "My Precious".

Downloads
    Uploads
    300 WINMag,

If you need a barrel or anything for your AUG in terms of parts call MSAR and ask for Dave he'll hook you up. The gas block is just a bit different for the AUG than the MSAR, but they can do it for the AUG pretty easily and have already done that a few times already for other folks.

Steyr has parts available for sale as well, but their barrels are only available in 1:9 and you can get 1:8 through MSAR (they did have some cold hammer forged FNH 1:7 barrels) and can get different lengths. The other thing is that the new MSAR barrels are 1/28 pitch so you can mount any flash suppressor you want.

Bushmaster ACR

I think we'll hear something concrete at SHOT Show 2010 about the ACR for us civilians. I would not be shocked at all too see ACR's out toward the end of 2010. I wouldn't hold off my purchases to wait for it unless it takes you a huge amount of time to save up the $1,500 to $2,000 (or whatever they'll charge) to purchase one since I think we'll have plenty of time. I'm looking forward to it.
    Last edited by SilentType; 24 September 2009 at 16:58.