Downloads
    Uploads

Question Multiple Calibers for SBR paper work?

I'm about to build my first SBR - I just want to make sure I do everything properly the first go round. I'm planning on having both 9mm and 5.56/.223 uppers. I know putting "multi" on the form(s) is probably a big no-no.

By putting 9mm, 5.56 or 9mm & 5.56mm on the form... will I have to worry about it getting kicked back?

thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never had a problem, until my last Form 1, i have a new examiner who kicked it back for having different barrel lengths and calibers listed. Apparently you can put the other calibers you want to use in box H.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The common "alternate" approach is to go through the initial Form 1/Form 4 process for a single barrel length and caliber to get it on the books, and then (after approval) submit a letter to the same address that clearly indicates that SBR serial number XXXXXX is also being used with barrel lengths of X-inches and Y-inches, and that caliber-Z is also being used on an occasional, temporary basis. Some will tell you that even this is going above and beyond, but I see great wisdom in keeping this information in your file, just in case you run into a situation where a question is raised while the weapon is in something other than the original Form1 /Form 4 configuration.

The story behind the story here is that examiners don't particularly care about these details when they are doing the initial scrub to get the rifle on the registry; that said, they do clutter up the form and make it more difficult to determine what the "primary configuration" for the weapon will be. Changes made after-the-fact that do not otherwise alter the legal classification of the weapon are of only tertiary concern to them, but it is very important to be as clear as possible when making that initial run at registration. It is for this reason that I would advise anyone putting a rifle into the NFA registry for the first time to list it exactly as it is configured at the time of application, and to deal with these kinds of changes after the stamp has been issued.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome info, thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    not to hijack but a quick question concerning SBRs:

If you are building (i.e., buying a lower and buying say a 10.5 upper and slapping them together) what item is going on the paperwork? The lower? Do you have to wait to purchase the upper then once the stamp comes back? I was basically wondering if I could buy the lower now and start the paperwork and once completed buy the upper and slap it together and be good to go, is this correct?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated21R View Post
    not to hijack but a quick question concerning SBRs:

If you are building (i.e., buying a lower and buying say a 10.5 upper and slapping them together) what item is going on the paperwork? The lower? Do you have to wait to purchase the upper then once the stamp comes back? I was basically wondering if I could buy the lower now and start the paperwork and once completed buy the upper and slap it together and be good to go, is this correct?
    I'll let the other guys answer the what you "can and can't do" part.
    But, you're registering the lower.. b/c it has the serial # on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to serialize an upper and SBR that, it's possible. But, for every reason the lower is the serialized part for AR-15's you'll want to SBR the lower. Go with the lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I will probably pick my lower up when I get home and then quickly pick up an upper but have it sent to my father's house for safe keeping.