Downloads
    Uploads

Review of Magpul Front and Rear MBUS.

Introduction:
    I recently purchased two sets of the Magpul MBUS FRONT Back Up Iron Sight - BLACK and the Magpul MBUS REAR Back Up Iron Sight - BLACK.

Magpul MBUS FRONT Back Up Iron Sight:
    The MBUS Front Sight is deployed by pressing the button on either side. They are held open/in the up position by the spring tension and there is also a notch. Adjusting the MBUS Front Sight is done by removing the pin, adjusting for elevation like a regular A2 front sight and placing the pin back.

Pro's:
    1. $40.
    2. Easy to deploy.

Con's:
    1. Pain to adjust. Magpul should redesign it.

Magpul MBUS REAR Back Up Iron Sight:
    The MBUS Rear Sight is deployed by pressing the button on either side. They are held open/in the up position by the spring tension and there is also a notch. Adjusting the MBUS Rear Sight is done by turning the A2 style knob. The Aperatures are the A2 style, which I prefer the Same Plane Aperature sights like the Troy, but the small aperature is the perfect size that I don't ever plan on using the large aperature. The default aperature is the small one, which is a plus since it is the only one I'll use. The MBUS Rear Sight is not as low as the Troy, but it still cleared my new SWFA 3x9-44 Super Sniper Scope and it also cleared the Aimpoint Magnifier with the Larue Low Pivot Mount. I did have to file down underneath the Magnifier because when the magnifier was flipped to the side, I could not deploy the MBUS Rear Sight because the knob on the MBUS would hit underneath the Magnifier. It took some filing, but it is perfect. Although the MBUS is bulky, I there is still enough room to place the Aimpoint M4 and the Magnifier on the upper receiver.

Pro's:
    1. $58.
    2. Easy to deploy.

Con's:
    1. Would prefer Same Plane Aperature, but not a big deal.

Conclusion:
    I was very skeptical at first to replace my Troy BUIS with these "plastic" Sights. But once I installed them and figured out how to use them, I was very happy with them. For the price of 1 set of Troy Front and Rear BUIS, you can have 2.5 sets of the MBUS.
    Last edited by Paulo_Santos; 3 September 2009 at 19:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info, I'm sorry that this thread wasn't moved int0 viewable status earlier, it looks like Staff and I missed it.

As far as a redesign, what part, and how would you change it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Good info, I'm sorry that this thread wasn't moved int0 viewable status earlier, it looks like Staff and I missed it.

As far as a redesign, what part, and how would you change it?
    I would change the MBUS Front Sight so that it can be adjusted without tools. I zeroed both sets of mine the other day and although it was pretty easy to do at the range since I had the tools, it wouldn't be as easy to do out in the field.

After shooting both sets, I have to say that I will without a doubt continue to use them on my AR's. I still give them an "A" rating.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with the front sight being difficult to rotate without a sight tool. I don't know if I'm totally comfortable with how high the front sight post sticks up above the "shelf" unsupported. I do like the two heights of roll pin for securing the front sight post based on the individual's need.
    Another thing I'm noticing is that the rear release lever (more like a wing) can interfere with manipulating the charging handle. I've got a PRI and the left side release lever hangs over it more than I like. I've got a Gunfighter on the way, and that may help it. I will have to see.
    I would also prefer a same plane apeture, but as far as preference I'm the opposite: I like the large apeture.
    I'm also a little leery of sights that lock in the up position. I don't like the idea of metal sights locked up and banging into stuff and I don't think I like the idea of the plastic units doing it either. However, these are backups so I'm not as worried since they wouldn't normally be up for my purposes.
    The locking bar nut arrangement has led to people breaking the sight body from gorilla gripping it. From what I hear, Magpul is still making good on them and replacing the sight bodies which is great news.
    With all that said, I think these sights are great, and ideal for a BUS. I'm using them on my middy build and so far they are GTG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m24shooter View Post
    I agree with the front sight being difficult to rotate without a sight tool. I don't know if I'm totally comfortable with how high the front sight post sticks up above the "shelf" unsupported. I do like the two heights of roll pin for securing the front sight post based on the individual's need.
    Another thing I'm noticing is that the rear release lever (more like a wing) can interfere with manipulating the charging handle. I've got a PRI and the left side release lever hangs over it more than I like. I've got a Gunfighter on the way, and that may help it. I will have to see.
    I would also prefer a same plane apeture, but as far as preference I'm the opposite: I like the large apeture.
    I'm also a little leery of sights that lock in the up position. I don't like the idea of metal sights locked up and banging into stuff and I don't think I like the idea of the plastic units doing it either. However, these are backups so I'm not as worried since they wouldn't normally be up for my purposes.
    The locking bar nut arrangement has led to people breaking the sight body from gorilla gripping it. From what I hear, Magpul is still making good on them and replacing the sight bodies which is great news.
    With all that said, I think these sights are great, and ideal for a BUS. I'm using them on my middy build and so far they are GTG.
    Lucky for me I read about guys overtorquing the bolts so I didn't go too crazy with mine. I actually tried the large aperature and it was huge, nothing like any other iron sight that I've used before.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just picked up a set of these for 65 shipped.. For the price it is really hard to gripe about anything...but the gripe that I have which was already mentioned, is the front post sticks up way too high in the sight body. I just sighted in yesterday and I thought it might have been just me so I'm relieved that I see others having the same problem. I don't understand why they didn't do a little redesign on that part of the sight, like making the sight body 3/16" taller and inserting the post further down in the body..

Oh well, Great sights for the money. you cant have it "all" right?
    Last edited by Dirknar; 10 January 2010 at 10:46.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the same observations with the height of the front post last year when I got my MBUS. Mine sticks up above the ears on the front site a bit when sighted in at 25 yds. ( gonna resight at 50 when it warms up)
    I posted pics on ARFCOM but can't seem to find them now.
    Plus, without a tool it's a bitch to adjust.
    Other than that, I like them. Simple, durable and cheap to purchase $$ wise.
    Wouldn't mount them on a Gasblock tho.
    Pain is Weakness leaving the Body.
    Force Lima 3/3