Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also consider why you need the magnification. I run ACOGs across the board because I shoot well with them up close, but the magnification helps most for identification, less for shot placement.

With any practice it's not hard to make 200yd hits consistent with even the diminutive T-1, so my motivation to use variable power optics is for more precise target ID and placement - MR/T works well for that (though clearly not as well as the NXS or ShortDot 1-4x offerings)

If this won't be your last AR15 - get the T-1 and a QD Mount.
    Then get the 1-4x Optic and QD mount with your next rifle - whichever direction you go with your next stick - you'll have an unbeatable CQC optic, and a fantastic general purpose optic.

If your next one is shorter, or lighter - the it gets the T-1. If your next rifle is longer, heavier barrel, and/or match trigger - then it gets the variable mag. optic.

My collection runs the gamut from the M4S Aimpoint (SBR) to a T-1 (lightweight 14.7"), TA31RCO-M4 (14.5" Hvy), MR/T TS30 (16" MedCon Middy), TRS-1 4-16x50mm (18" SPR)
    Last edited by TehLlama; 5 September 2009 at 10:12.

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

One thing you don't hear a LOT of in such circles as these I have found, is what optic works well, once you're past PRIME gaming/military service age?

Lot of young guys on these sorts of boards are top-flite carbine school grads or instructors, while others are honest-to-goodness Hadji hunters, either headed to or from the sandboxes, and who REALLY push optics to the extreme, there on the 'two-way rifle ranges.'

But for us 40-somethings (and beyond), who find such niceties of life, like, Astigmatism, catching up to us, "following the dancing dots" while even trying to leisurely sight-in, is an exercise in futility, and such optics really aren't DESIGNED with us in mind anyways.

Case-in-point: I had a GREAT EOTech 557, that, sadly, I had to get rid of. All those little ballistic-drop dots just blurred on me, to the point where I was afraid, I was going to no longer going to be able to hit "up!"

Ergo, I've gone with the "old man optci" now - a Trijicon RX30-23 for BOTH my AR's, and I'm actually punching out the X ring again at sight-in. Will I win the War on Terror with it? If it comes down to THAT, we're ALL doomed. But should trouble approach within 200 yards, I KNOW I can put a hurtin' on it NOW, with an optic my eyeballs can actually utilize! THAT'S... a GOOD feeling.
    - It is no dishonor to be in a minority in the cause of liberty and virtue. - Sam Adams, Founding Father - 1722-1803

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    NF 1-4 NXS - Nightforce has a great reputation "in the community," and were it not for the fact that the daylight illumination of the FC-1 is a bit sketchy, this might very well put the S&B on level ground. Either way, this is premium glass as a reasonable price point, with the features you want and an innovative reticle that is worth a second look. I will very likely go this route on my next non-NFA AR.
    Reaching back and engaging in a bit of necro-posting, but as a quick follow-up, I did invest in a Nightforce 1-4x a few months ago, and it has served to re-shape some of my thinking. The oft-lamented daylight illumination issue, in particular, has emerged as a largely irrelevant criticism. While it is true that in full sunlight the lit reticle does wash out, it does so leaving a very crisp black aiming point, which under those conditions, is actually a good thing. When cast against dark backgrounds, even with the reticle "off," the aiming circle and hash marks of the FC-1 appear in the negative (i.e. white), again providing more than enough contrast for the shot. Add the lit reticle, which is capable of surprisingly high output levels, and the capabilities of this scope are nothing short of impressive.

I've also become a believer in the unique FC-1 reticle configuration, though it will take more time and shooting at various ranges in various conditions to truly explore its full potential. I may need to run some more specific tests to speak authoritatively regarding any target obscuration or aiming point limitation issues, but I doubt there will be too many surprises in store. It's a good, clear design that naturally lends itself to fast aquisition in ways that conventional crosshairs do not.

There is more evaluation work to do, but on balance, I'm extremely impressed with this scope. Even at a near-true 1x, it is no Aimpoint, but neither is it intended to be. It is, however, "close enough for government work," and I value versatility and a magnification capability more than the pure speed of a dedicated RDS. The weight penalty is quite reasonable, but again, you will notice it, if you're accustomed to something like the T-1. Haven't really encountered any battery life issues yet, but am aware of the potential problem, and I try to manage my "on" time accordingly.

Perhaps most impressively, construction and optical quality compare favorably to my S&B 1.5-6x -- which at half the asking price is no small feat. Again, I would have to consider this a fairly prelminary report, but this is one purchase that I would make again. If you're looking for a 1-4x variable, and need to stay in the neighborhood of $1,200, the compact NXS may well be a best-in-class offering, notwithstanding the fact that it has actually been a couple of years since it first appeared on the market.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In no way will the combination of an aimpoint and a magnifier give you the optical quality, low light resolution, or exit pupil of a variable zoom tube.

I'm curious to see how the newer generation 1.1-8x optics fare (S&B, Leupold CQBSS, Premier, maybe others?), if Trijicon comes out with a BDC/Range Estimation cabable reticle for their TR-24G, or if Swarovski makes a BDC/Daytime illuminated version of their C6i.
    I could only justify the $2k+ optics if I got a monolithic barrel/caliber change capable upper. Like M24S said, it's an investment comparable to the value of the rifle it's on.

I'm waiting on something that has solid daytime illumination (battery or fiberoptic/Tritium dual illum), a BDC reticle that's usable for 5.56, mil-dot reticle (preferably with Mil adjustments) - this doesn't exist, but I suspect it will soon. I'm spoiled by the daytime brightness of the Trijicon offerings (TA31RCO mostly) so I'll pay a bit for that functionality.

The strategy I'm adopting is to get a more budget oriented 1-4X optic (I'm getting the Vortex PST 1-4x) [Burris 1-4x or Millett DMS-1 are good choices for this] along with the LT mount I'll use later to get acclimated to the optic, see how it works on the setup I'm running (14.8" suppressed) and use that as a backup gun, continue using a lighter rifle (14.5" LW) with a T-1 in the interim. It might work well for you.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
    I just bought a LWRC M6A3 and can not figure out which type and brand of optic to go with. I have spoke with many people and of course they all recommend different optics or scopes.

I am leaning towards the Nightforce 1x4x24 scope with larue tactical mount. However I like the Aimpoint T-1 and the Comp M4s. I also am an oldschool type of guy and really like Leupold scopes but personally I dont think the turrets are as good as the ones on the Nightforce.

Your opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    How do you plan on running your rifle?

Application SHOULD dictate optic. Each optic has its strength and weakness. If you want to keep the weight down (especially on a piston rifle which can be a little front heavy) and use it as a training carbine I would recommend the T1. If you want to stretch its legs and do a little more precision work the NF is an excellent optic. I have the same rifle and went with a T1 to keep it as light as possible. I also have a 3X on a swivel that I can throw on if I am trying to shoot steel out to 400 yds. Optics should be application specific and not whatever is the flavor of the month. I would use a NF on more of a SPR type of build rather than a training or hard use rifle.

Decide how you want to use your rifle then find the optic that suits that purpose best.

Here is an A3 with the T1..