Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb American Defense Aimpoint Mount Review

Most people will never have heard of American Defense Manufacturing at the time of this writing, however, I suspect that will quickly change.

American Defense Manufacturing (ADM) has emerged on the market with three Aimpoint mounts, and more importantly, an entirely new mounting system. The mounts are billet machined from T6 6061 aluminum, and hard coat anodized with a Teflon coating. The locking lever is capable of being configured to lock with the lever positioned to the front or the rear based on individual preference. The Auto Lock Lever is adjustable for rail size with the use of a coin, screw driver, or similar object.

The AD-68L is a low profile Aimpoint mount designed for use with rails such as the Vltor CASV, ARMS SIR, POV Predator, and any other rail that incorporates a riser. According to the scale I used, it weighs 85 grams.

The AD-68 is a standard height Aimpoint mount that allows for a direct mount to a flat top upper receiver, or Free Float rail. The AD-68 showed 93.5 grams when weighed.

The AD-68C is a cantilever Aimpoint mount that raises the optic and pushes it out farther than its AD-68 sibling. The AD-68C came in at 98.7 grams when weighed. For comparison, my previous mount weighed in at 156.1 grams. Thats a pretty substantial difference.

The entire line up of American Defense Manufacturing mounts is based off their QD Auto Lock Lever System. This Auto Lock is engaged simply by pressing the lever flat against the upper receiver. The QD Auto Lock Lever lays flat against the upper receiver, and if it were any more recessed, it would make removal difficult. Displacement of the mount from the rail is conducted by pressing the lock button (which is partially indented), and at the same time, pulling out on the lock lever. I see no possibility of accidental release with this system, even if your weapon is bounced around loose with gear in a vehicle, or if you can claim extra clumsy fingers. The QD Auto Lock Lever System is smooth upon installation and removal.

Surface lock and engagement has been an issue long talked about in the realm of mounts. While all mounts engage a 1913 spec rail along one side, most find themselves camming or locking against the opposing side with a less than full, or even a minimal surface. In the case of the ADM mounts, there is equal surface area on each side grabbing the rail. There is no rotation or grinding against the rail surface as the engagement section moves directly in and out when the Auto Lock Lever is rotated.

The mounts all feature six allen head screws, with three on each side to securely fasten the optic into place with equal pressure. As with any machine screw being mounted on a weapon, I would recommend a little of your favorite locking compound. Interior surfaces are smooth and well machined, as is the exterior of the mounts.

Mount tension adjustment is about as easy as it comes. Almost any tool or item with an edge can be used for adjustment, but I found that a 5.56 casing fits perfectly for this task. Place the lever on the mount, and check the difficulty in closing the lever. If it's too easy for your liking, unlock, and turn the adjustment slot clockwise to tighten. If you find it too tight, turn counter clockwise to loosen.

This review will be added to as more time is spent with the various mounts. Right now, WEVO has LE and MIL Staff who are using the different mounts, and all of us will provide a little more in depth view points as we work with them. Personally speaking, it would be hard to beat these from what I've seen so far, and my personal Aimpoint has found a new home.

AD-68

Last edited by Stickman; 9 April 2008 at 14:57.