Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    67
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Selling a handgun?

    I was curious about face to face sales of handguns. I am going to sell my XDm 9mm (I live in Utah) and all that I was going to do was draft up a bill of sale and have him sign it and make a copy for my records. Anything else I should do or am required to do? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,530
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Are you required to make a bill of sale in your state?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I thought the "Brady" bill was a Federal law that required all handgun private party sales to be DROS'ed through an FFL. Dunno maybe its just my misunderstanding as everything is cinched down tight and paranoid here in the Peoples Demo/Socialist Republic of California.
    "God made Cops, so Firemen could have Heroes."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    81
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Capt. Kirk,
    That is not nationwide. (thank God!)


    Rated21R,
    The Bill of Sale is mostly for your protection. In AZ, none is required. I can't speak to Utah, I would imagine very similar.

    Can I ask why you are selling? If personal no need to respond, if weapon related I would appreciate the input.

    Chris

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    67
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CCK View Post
    Capt. Kirk,
    That is not nationwide. (thank God!)


    Rated21R,
    The Bill of Sale is mostly for your protection. In AZ, none is required. I can't speak to Utah, I would imagine very similar.

    Can I ask why you are selling? If personal no need to respond, if weapon related I would appreciate the input.

    Chris
    I am selling to pick up something a bit smaller to use for a CCW. I am looking at M&P subcompact and HK P2000 subcompact and a few others.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,872
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT KIRK View Post
    I thought the "Brady" bill was a Federal law that required all handgun private party sales to be DROS'ed through an FFL. Dunno maybe its just my misunderstanding as everything is cinched down tight and paranoid here in the Peoples Demo/Socialist Republic of California.
    Nope.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,872
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated21R View Post
    I was curious about face to face sales of handguns. I am going to sell my XDm 9mm (I live in Utah) and all that I was going to do was draft up a bill of sale and have him sign it and make a copy for my records. Anything else I should do or am required to do? Thanks.
    There is no national requirement. You really need to see how your state regulates (if at all) transfers from one state resident to another. Even if there isn't a requirement, it is always recommended to have something in writing when you sell a firearm. It helps to protect the buyer and seller.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CA & WA
    Posts
    1,162
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    23
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I would just do what any reasonable person in your position should do by complying with the laws of your state to the letter.

    In addition, I would ask to see his Driver's License or State ID to make sure he was of age, who he said he was, and for my own peace of mind probably do a search prior to meeting with him under your state's sex offender registry and if you have one state prison registery. In Michigan I can do a background check through our department of corrections and see if the guy has ever served time (meaning if he was in prison he's a felon). You could also search for his name on your state's "Most Wanted" list and the FBI's "Most Wanted" list. I would say that would give you good peace of mind. You could also just Google his name to see what turns up.

    After that it's just a good public place where you can see trouble coming and having good situational awareness. Wouldn't sell him ammunition with the firearm. If possible be armed yourself. That's about as responisble as anyone could expect you to be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •