Downloads
    Uploads

Shooting Glasses Recommendations?

I need new eyes for the range, but refuse to pay $250 for Oakley's at Dicks or the local Field and Stream store. Other than that, it's the $19.95 pair with 3 lens kit.

I have enough vision problems, and would like to find a great quality distortion free (or nearly) pair, that are comfortable to enough for extended wear, and of build quality that won't fall apart at the worst possible moment.

I understand that quality means more money, but $250 is ludicrous for shooting at the local range, maybe required by S.E.A.L teams or SWAT and spec op's, but not for me. There has to be a common sense pair at a more realistic price.

If you have any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it, but if you recommend a pair, could you post a few words as to why?

Thanks very much in advance,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT aren't you retired Military?

If you want Oakley quality just buy them from Oakley at usstandardissue.com

Much less than $250, I think I bought my Oakleys for $100.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    FT aren't you retired Military?

If you want Oakley quality just buy them from Oakley at usstandardissue.com

Much less than $250, I think I bought my Oakleys for $100.
    Yes, I'm retired. Hadn't heard of usstandardissue.com. I retired in '95, and "public" internet was still very much in it's infancy, so I'm not aware of some of these sites that you can go on to order mil stuff that came after "my time". Maybe others are in the same boat as I am. It would be really cool, if it hasn't been done already, if someone could compile and post a list of these types of sites.

Thanks UW, I'll definitely have to check that out as a possibility.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    x2 on usstandardissue.com I have ordered from them several times with no issues and great prices.

Sent from the center of the universe!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have Oakleys...well had oakleys till Jaxon chewed up my last pair of issued frames. I have always loved them but hated their prices. I knew of usstandardissue.com but I am seriously thinking about giving http://www.esseyepro.com/ a try.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm on my second set of lenses from usstandardissue.com and still using my original frames. I've been very happy with their service and (relative) price. For a set of Half Jacket frames and XLJ prescription lenses, it was $200. Most of that cost is the prescription. At the time you could get a non-prescription set for sub $100 (and by "sub," I mean REALLY sub).

One caveat... you'll have to check to make sure your prescription is friendly with their lens manufacturing process. It's possible to need more than they can do. It's easy to check on their website when you put in your numbers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like my Revision Hellfly's in photochromic they darken in sunlight and adjust back to clear when no uv rays are present .
    http://www.revisionmilitary.com/prod...ic-sunglasses/
    Last edited by Sak007; 4 June 2014 at 17:23.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Snagged a pair of Wiley X's.... Waiting to see if I made the right choice.

Thanks to all that replied.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Although you already bought a pair FT, just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else is looking for a good set.

I pair that I have are the ESS Crossbows (Oakley). Haven't had a chance to use them for shooting yet, but everything outside of that is great. Have had it for 2-3 years now.

It is also RX compatible if you want to throw in some prescription lenses.

And for those in the Army (and I think USMC), it is on the Approved Protective Eyewear List (APEL).

ESS Crossbow

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thompson, believe it or not the ESS Crossbows, I found with BING search, were actually on my short list... If the Wiley's don't work out, I'm going to look at these or other Oakley's and will probably just break down and part with the $$ for a prescription pair.

Thanks,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Snagged a pair of Wiley X's.... Waiting to see if I made the right choice.

Thanks to all that replied.

FT
    They are nice, but I will say they are no oakleys. I work in and optical lab, manufacturing glasses for a living. I have multiple pairs of both Wiley x and oakley, as well as ray ban, and other high end glasses. The Wiley x are a great alternative to the oakleys, but side by side you can tell there's a difference in quality. Unless you're super hard on them you should be happy with them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    They are nice, but I will say they are no oakleys. I work in and optical lab, manufacturing glasses for a living. I have multiple pairs of both Wiley x and oakley, as well as ray ban, and other high end glasses. The Wiley x are a great alternative to the oakleys, but side by side you can tell there's a difference in quality. Unless you're super hard on them you should be happy with them.
    I tend to be, although not intentionally, hard on all my gear. Don't know why, I've always been that way. So if I get six or eight months out of the Wiley X's, I guess I'll be happy. I haven't got the Wiley's yet, just ordered them, but I'm sort of having buyers remorse already. Oh well, we'll see. Maybe I'll really like them.

Thanks,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I tend to be, although not intentionally, hard on all my gear. Don't know why, I've always been that way. So if I get six or eight months out of the Wiley X's, I guess I'll be happy. I haven't got the Wiley's yet, just ordered them, but I'm sort of having buyers remorse already. Oh well, we'll see. Maybe I'll really like them.

Thanks,

FT
    Don't get me wrong, they are still quality glasses, and they are cheaper than oakleys. The company I work for actually discontinued the sale of oakley because they were being outsold be the Wiley x frames based on price alone pretty much. I've had a few pairs of Wiley x (free is always nice) and have been happy with all of them. Only complaint is some of them have too much of a wrap and they hug my face too tightly, but your mileage may vary as everyone has different preferences.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the ESS Crossbows with photochromic lenses and the Oakley M-frames with Prism lenses. Both are awesome but I love the ESS offering for sure. I have a write up on them that will be going in Guns & Tactics soon. Definitely awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DMViergever View Post
    I have the ESS Crossbows with photochromic lenses and the Oakley M-frames with Prism lenses. Both are awesome but I love the ESS offering for sure. I have a write up on them that will be going in Guns & Tactics soon. Definitely awesome.
    Ohhh. Let me know when. I'd love to read it!