Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul B.A.D. ?????

Im sorry if this seems like a repost but I have been reading all the posts on this Magpul BAD lever and I am new to the AR world. Actually just bought a LWRC M6A3 just last month. Havent even had the chance to fire it yet. I know what am I waiting for right?

Well my question is what does this device exactly do? And do I need one? I knid of understand it but need a detailed explanation please. Because I think I want to buy one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It allows you to lock the bolt to the rear during malfs without changing your grip, eliminating the process of using the left hand to press the bolt catch and the right hand to pull the charging handle.
    It will also allow you to release the bolt when it locks to the rear on an empty mag without using the left hand to press the bolt release.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would suggest (before you spend the money) learning the fundamentals 1st (since you are new to the AR platform) clearing double feeds and other fire system malfunctions the "ole fashion way" so you have a base understanding of what a B.A.D type of device can do for you tactically. Then once you have a base knowledge it will be easier for you to incorporate this into your normal operation. On a side note I would suggest the EBRv2 by Phase 5 Tactical http://www.phase5tactical.com/g_products/ebr.html it is a one piece unit and I LOVE IT! The Magpul B.A.D is awesome as well, but in the end it is still 2 pieces (IMO) Hope this helped...Happy Shooting

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 for learning the basics and then going to the BAD it will make you appreciate it more as well as give you a good understanding of the weapon system. What I did was sit down and use it over and over again for a solid week so I got used to it to the point where it wasn't a thought process. The only gripe I have about the bad is once you train with it, it will be slightly slower or difficult when going back to a conventional setup, I guess that's the good thing about the two piece design also because it's quick and easy to remove it and put it on another weapon.

I've shaved about 7/10 of a second on reloads with the bad / redi mag setup although I've only tested it 250 times for each...

Gotta love a wife that will sit there with a stopwatch and time you reloading 250x w/ a bad and redi mag and then 250x w/o it while entering it into an excel sheet
    -BC

"I would never have a 7.62 as my primary home defense weapon. I mean by all means if I'm cleaning a 7.62 and some d-bag busts down my door I'll give him a bad day"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats on the LWRC. I have an A2 myself.

Ive been edging to get my hands on a BAD for a minute now, but everywhere I look they seem to be sold out. I should have jumped on it when someone posted that you could call brownells to order one...

Do you NEED a B.A.D.? Nope. Is it something to consider in the future? Of course.

I'm going to echo what the last two posters said and suggest spending some quality time with old girl first. Magpul isn't going anywhere, and there are other alternatives. As far as AR accessories go, this is one that I can see a significant benefit of having on your rifle, but it's still an accessory.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by HERRON223 View Post
    I would suggest (before you spend the money) learning the fundamentals 1st (since you are new to the AR platform) clearing double feeds and other fire system malfunctions the "ole fashion way" so you have a base understanding of what a B.A.D type of device can do for you tactically. Then once you have a base knowledge it will be easier for you to incorporate this into your normal operation. On a side note I would suggest the EBRv2 by Phase 5 Tactical http://www.phase5tactical.com/g_products/ebr.html it is a one piece unit and I LOVE IT! The Magpul B.A.D is awesome as well, but in the end it is still 2 pieces (IMO) Hope this helped...Happy Shooting
    +1 to the training

-1 for the Phase 5 lever. I would rather be able remove the lever in case I needed to work on the FCG. Granted you can do this with the lever attached, but it is much easier without it. It is also easier to remove a bolt on attachment than punching out the bolt catch rollpin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I first saw the BAD lever, I thought it looked kinda hokey and something else gimmicky for the AR15. But only after a short time of playing with it, I saw the potential advantages of the lever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just installed another BAD on an M4 with a RediMag. There was just enough of a weld ridge on the seam in the trigger area to prevent the BAD from operating. I took the RediMag off and knocked down some of the weld. No probs now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any idea on whether it fits on a Sun Devil upper?
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m24shooter View Post
    I just installed another BAD on an M4 with a RediMag. There was just enough of a weld ridge on the seam in the trigger area to prevent the BAD from operating. I took the RediMag off and knocked down some of the weld. No probs now.
    I am having rub with my redimod as well. Anyone try to just remove the rubber gasket around the magwell?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The BAD will not fit on the Sun Devil upper because the backer plate will not fit behind the paddle due to the recessed area in the receiver for the bolt-release paddle and the over-sized receiver wall. I am going to see if I can apply a super strong adhesive to the paddle because the BAD w/o the backer plate will fit on and does not appear to prohibit movement.
    Last edited by federalist22; 30 October 2009 at 14:54.
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ordered a B.A.D earlier this month.....on back order till 11/15/2009. I plan on running it on my duty rifle...........standing by!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Magpul B.A.D. Lever. I got lucky over the summer and ordered one right when they hit the retail shelves. I ended up springing for a Redi-Mag. My mag changes/clearing times have significantly improved.

I'll also echo Herron and brush up on the basics before you go adding on all sorts of fun things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian/SWAT-K9 View Post
    I ordered a B.A.D earlier this month.....on back order till 11/15/2009. I plan on running it on my duty rifle...........standing by!

AZ Armament has the BAD in-stock now, at least according to their website. Usually if the price is listed it is in-stock.

http://www.azarmament.com/Magpul-BAD-MAG980.htm
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by federalist22 View Post
    AZ Armament has the BAD in-stock now, at least according to their website. Usually if the price is listed it is in-stock.

http://www.azarmament.com/Magpul-BAD-MAG980.htm

Thanks for the info