Downloads
    Uploads

My first build is done!

Hey all, just finished my first build and took it to Rob (gotm4) at VA Arms to verify my work before I put rounds down range. Didn't want it to blow up in my face! After torquing the barrel nut down a bit more, it was good to go. And while she looks great, I'm a little disappointed with one aspect that I'm hoping for some feedback and opinions.

My upper and lower are a RRA NM set that I ordered from Brownells, and not realizing it until I was putting it all together, the flat top upper didn't come with feed ramps cut in. Is this the case with all RRA uppers? The CMMG barrel has them, and I know that it will still function, but I'm a bit concerned about failures to feed. Should I be?

I'll post pictures later on if anyone is interested in taking a look.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the purpose of the gun? Is it your only firearm? How many rounds do you see putting through it annually?

All of these factors can change the answer to your question if you should worry or not.

What did Rob tell you?

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's more for fun than anything else. I'm no longer in the army, not a contractor, and not LE, so it's not a duty gun by any means. But I still want to use it in 3 guns and shooting schools. It's not my only firearm, just my only AR. As far as how many rounds annually, guess that's up to my budget, already have 2k rounds of surplus M855 that I'll be using for it. And I never thought to ask Rob about the feed ramps, and he didn't mention them either. Like I said, the barrel has them, just not the upper. And I didn't mention earlier that I already put about 300 rounds through it with no issues.

Basically it comes done to this: "IF" I had to take it into a gunfight, should the absence of the feed ramps be of concern?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't worry about the feed ramps. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Shoot the shit out of that gun and address the feed ramps IF you have issues with feeding. The worst is when your upper has the feed ramps but your barrel extension doesn't. If you use PMAGs you should be fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    RRA has been cutting small M4-ish ramps in their non-ramped lowers for some time. It looks like an afterthought the way they do it - Dremel type cuts through the finish and anodizing.

Don't sweat the lack of feed ramps and yes, photos are always welcome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    M4 ramps aren't needed from my experience. They do aid in function but if everything else is working the way it should, you should be golden.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the feed back guys! I'll take a few pics of the setup and post them soon.
    -Los

"I like my weapons like I like my women, slightly dirty, and well lubed."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quality magazines properly seated usually negate the need for feed ramps in semi-only ARs. My experience has shown this to be true as well.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Noticed that the PMAGS sit high enough in the well and cover where the feed ramps in the upper would be anyway. I've been running PMAGS exclusively, and no problems so far, even with rapid strings of fire. I'll never go back to the old steel USGI stuff.
    -Los

"I like my weapons like I like my women, slightly dirty, and well lubed."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here she is, with her little USP friend. And a couple other close up pics. I got my Magpul BAD in today, just haven't installed it yet. Comments/criticism welcome.

Specs:

RRA NM upper/lower receiver set
    RRA standard lower parts kit
    RRA upper parts
    DD BCG
    CMMG 16" 1/7 twist chrome lined w/ F marked FSB and A2 FH
    BCM mil-spec receiver extension kit w/ H buffer
    BCM gunfighter CH
    Magpul ACS stock
    Magpul enhanced trigger guard
    Magpul rear MBUS
    Magpul MOE hand guard