Downloads
    Uploads

Rainier billet upper vs. MUR (color)

I am about to start gathering parts to build my upper (if I decide not to just buy one). Lower has been done for months and is lonely. :)

I noticed in the thread about the Rainier upper receiver, the photos of it mated with the T15-BDX lower showed a stark difference in the color of the finish. Maybe it was the lighting making the contrast higher than it is. Curious if the color is that far off for the Vltor MUR?

Trust me, the color will not be the deciding factor, as it is not related to performance at all, but it would be a bonus if it matched better than shown in the photos.

My T15-BDX matches my E-Mod and CAA UPG grip great....and pretty well matches the Pmags. Any insight?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the lighting may have been a huge factor in that picture with the T15BDX and Rainier's billet upper.

I can guarantee that the color difference between the two are almost nonexistent--at least with the ones I own. I'll take a picture in a bit for your reference.

-rebelEMPIRE
    Last edited by rebelEMPIRE; 30 September 2009 at 21:28.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here goes... unedited less the smudging out of the serial number. Upper isn't complete yet (that's why there's no barrel).

-rebelEMPIRE

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Rainier Arms UM Billet Upper is Black Black. The Tactical Innovations lowers have been coming a with a little purple tint to them lately. It's not bad under some lighting situations but in others...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelEMPIRE View Post
    Here goes... unedited less the smudging out of the serial number. Upper isn't complete yet (that's why there's no barrel).

-rebelEMPIRE
    Sir, may I know the pivot/take down pins your using? Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On another side note, rebelEMPIRE, how do you like that grip? I have the same lower and grip, and I find the joint between the front of the grip and the bottom of the trigger guard to be too "abrupt" or "sharp". What is your experience?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Broad Arrow View Post
    Sir, may I know the pivot/take down pins your using? Thanks.
    KNS Take down and Pivot Pins. I merely added them to complete the overall look of the rifle. They are a bit more annoying to remove than traditional takedown and pivot pins though. But this rifle isn't one that I will be shooting often; it's merely eye candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophiliac View Post
    On another side note, rebelEMPIRE, how do you like that grip? I have the same lower and grip, and I find the joint between the front of the grip and the bottom of the trigger guard to be too "abrupt" or "sharp". What is your experience?
    It does look aesthetically bad upon close inspection, but the grip itself works great for me. I prefer the large front grip with the medium rear grip (I have large hands). I run the same grip on another rifle and have no complaints. The sharp corner we see is a product of Tactical Innovations alone, and should not be blamed on the grip. As long as I don't know it's there, it has no affect on my performance. It's almost akin to having an inconspicuous dent on your car that no one else knows about. It's there, it doesn't really do anything, but it bothers you just because you know it's there. I've since gotten over it, though.

-rebelEMPIRE

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its not an issue of looks, but comfort. My middle finger rests against the corner and is rather annoying. I realize the TI guard is the cause of this fitment issue, and am thinking of trying other grips to find one that mates up a little better. Not sure if there is one though. I love the grip, do not get me wrong.....but the discomfort caused by the larger than standard trigger guard is my complaint. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelEMPIRE View Post
    KNS Take down and Pivot Pins. I merely added them to complete the overall look of the rifle. They are a bit more annoying to remove than traditional takedown and pivot pins though. But this rifle isn't one that I will be shooting often; it's merely eye candy.

-rebelEMPIRE
    Thanks Sir but may I know why its more annoying to remove? It does look cool though

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hwang View Post
    The Rainier Arms UM Billet Upper is Black Black. The Tactical Innovations lowers have been coming a with a little purple tint to them lately. It's not bad under some lighting situations but in others...
    Hi Sir. Has the purple tint been rectified already? The clean look really looks great! Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiophiliac View Post
    Its not an issue of looks, but comfort. My middle finger rests against the corner and is rather annoying. I realize the TI guard is the cause of this fitment issue, and am thinking of trying other grips to find one that mates up a little better. Not sure if there is one though. I love the grip, do not get me wrong.....but the discomfort caused by the larger than standard trigger guard is my complaint. :)
    Ah, understood. It didn't cause any discomfort for me, so I thought it did not for you; my mistake. I think the best solution would be to remove some excess material. It may be worth it to you to visit a machine shop. Something like that shouldn't be difficult to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Broad Arrow View Post
    Thanks Sir but may I know why its more annoying to remove? It does look cool though
    They are rather small pins to work with to begin with. You have to push the little button on the right side of your weapon in order to disengage the locking mechanism. As you push, you must also pull the pin out, which is difficult to do at the same time (especially if you have large hands or tight fitting receivers). And lastly, they do not contain themselves on the lower receiver, so you must take extra care not to lose them.

I would not install KNS pins on any weapon that I put to serious use. Although the rifle you see has some pretty battle worthy parts, it isn't worth it to me to put in harm's way. Almost like having an exotic car that I will rarely drive.

-rebelEMPIRE

Downloads
    Uploads
    If considering a billet lower, would one with med. hands be better off with a POF? Since you can't easily change the guard's dimensions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do not think the "beefier" trigger guard makes the lower any less comfortable for smaller hands. The grip will make the difference. Both the one pictured above (CAA UPG), the Magpul MIAD and others have adjustable parts to make the grip fit your hand.

My only complaint is the way this particular grip mates with the trigger guard. And it is possible it is only because my hands are large that my issue even exists. Someone with the same grip and lower and smaller hands might not have any problems with comfort at all.

Only one way to know for sure. I like the Stark grip, but as of now, they only have the one with the integral trigger guard. They are working on one without it. I think the Magpul grips mate up a little better from what I have seen in some photos, but I do not know if it would be enough of a difference to justify changing out the UPG.

And as far as color goes, my lower does not seem to purple....in any light conditions. It seems to match my grip, the Pmag, and the Emod stock I have.