Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mossberg 930 SPX Continued QC Problems

Despite efforts from m24shooter lobbying for the rest of us and Mark Kresser (VP Sales & Marketing) with O.F. Mossberg stating that there are changes being made at Mossberg to improve QC, I believe these changes are slow to come.

I ordered a Mossberg 930 SPX from Clyde Armory despite having read all the issues about canted front sight, stripped receiver, loose trigger housing, etc. -- mainly because I believe it is a great shotgun.

My 930 SPX arrived on 9/28/2009. I was excited and eager to open the box and once opened, I inspected it and. . . ..it has a canted front sight and loose trigger housing right out of the box.

The loose trigger housing doesn't bother me too much; it was the canted front sight that bugged me since I thought this issue has been resolved by Mossberg. At this point, I didn't even bother to go any further to check the front screws of the picatinny rail to determine whether they were over-torqued and stripped the receiver or not. They appear to be on solid so I did not want to mess with what was not broken.

I called Mossberg Customer Service this morning (10/8/2009) around 08:00 and surprisingly, a human named Rick answered the phone on the other end. He was polite when I explained my woes and offered to send a call tag so I can send the barrel back for a brand new replacement. I asked him what the turn-around would be and he said as soon as I get the call tag label, send him the barrel, and he will send a new one out. This part sounds like an improvement over what some of you have experienced previously dealing with Mossberg on the 930 SPX problems. But I will have to wait and see about this to believe it.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress of this matter. In the meantime, I would like to know if anyone has ordered a new 930 SPX recently and is experiencing these recurring problems that supposedly have been corrected by Mossberg?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Please keep us posted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I received my FedEx call tag label from Mossberg on 10/10/2009 two days after I called them. I would say that's a pretty good turn-around. Before I ship my barrel to Mossberg for a replacement, I've linked a couple of shots of the canted front sight. You get the "picture" (no pun intended).

I will also say this -- it's not so much that the sight is canted. It is brazed/welded perfectly perpendicular with respect to the barrel. It's just not brazed/welded where it should be when the barrel is attached to the receiver and magazine tube. If I could just "twist" the barrel slightly to the left. . .then all would be good.

Tomorrow I will drop the package at FedEX and let's see how fast Mossberg can ship me a new barrel.
    Last edited by ArizonaScot; 14 March 2010 at 01:04.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow... didn't anybody just sight down the thing before they sent it out? That's pretty obvious...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know what QC process Mossberg has and I know I don't manufacture or build guns for a living, but the minimal QC I would do if I was would be -- after final assembly, inspect for defects in workmanship, work all the actions, fire a few rounds down range (requiring someone to sight down the barrel), disassemble, clean, reassemble, lubricate, reinspect, work all the actions again, and if everything's good, put your QC sticker on the gun, package, and ship to nearest arm dealer or sporting good store.

I might not make any money going through a QC process like that, but at least I know it would reduce the likelihood of any mishap along the manufacturing and/or assembly line getting past the front door.

Problems/issues/defects which surface afterwards should be addressed and corrected as timely as possible to restore the owner's confidence of the product and manufacturer.

As an example, to share my Customer Experience with Springfield-Armory. I have three .40 XD pistols (one XD and two XDm's). Each came with a target, showing that the pistol was fired. This at least tells me someone inspected the pistol, worked the actions, fired it, and how close it came to hitting the target. The original XD recently developed a front sight creep. I called Springfield-Armory, a lady answered the call on the first ring, politely listened to my problem, e-mailed me a call tag to return the slide at no cost to me. A week later, I received my slide with a new front sight installed. They even packaged the slide in a plastic case. Can't beat that kind of post-sale service and support. I guess that's why I have three XDs.

Last edited by ArizonaScot; 14 October 2009 at 18:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Wow... didn't anybody just sight down the thing before they sent it out? That's pretty obvious...
    I just picked up my 930 SPX today, shipped from Buds Gun Shop. The front sight is canted and it looks like the rear sight has been dialed to the right to compensate. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Also the trigger housing is loose.

It's disappointing coming from a reputable manufacturer, but I guess you get what you pay for. I paid $552, about what a CAI AK-47 costs, with canted sight and maybe trigger issues. Wish I could afford an FNH, but at twice the amount I couldn't justify it. I, however, will likely face nothing more menacing than a paper bad guy and perhaps some unfortunate grape fruit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked one up used yesterday & the trigger housing on it is also loose. I put 100 rounds thru it without a single hitch. My front sight is just very slightly tilted, but not so much that I could even tell if it makes a difference in hitting my target. In reality, unless you're shooting slugs, how much of a difference could it really make at HD shooting distances?

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a pistol grip stock for it? I know Mossberg now sells the SPX with one, but I can't seem to find any after market PG's for it. Supposedly Choate was going to make one, but I can't find it anywhere.
    Last edited by Sparkz; 30 October 2009 at 13:35.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is what I found when searching some time back. I'm still on the fence about this stock myself.
    http://www.choatemachinetool.com/cat...t=0&recordno=1

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ran about fifty rounds through the 930spx and found, as I suspected, the rear sight had been adjusted one click to compensate for the canted front sight. It shot to point of aim at ten yards. So apparently Mossberg knows they are sending out a flawed product.

Still, it functioned with a variety of buckshot and slug loads, including Winchester heavy target loads, Remington Managed Recoil 00 and slugs, various full power 00 and #4 shot, and slugs from 1250 fps to 1600 fps. Also fired some Centurion. The only thing that didn't work just right was some Winchester low recoil target loads. On two occasions it didn't cycle the bolt.

With the price and ease of operation I think this shotgun is ideal for us folks who didn't grow up shooting and have had no formal training. First time out i could shoot faster and with more control than I ever could with my 870 with Knoxx stock. Even the heaviest loads tested were mild compared to the same loads from my 870. Everything was manageable. I feel confident that my wife can pick up this weapon and use it effectively.

It would be nice if the front sight was straight, and I think Mossberg should get it right, but it didn't hamper the performance. I can't wait to blast some more cans and would like to hear of anyone's experience with the 930spx

Downloads
    Uploads
    Took my 930 SPX apart for cleaning the other day & couldn't locate the Gas Seal Ring that is shown in Fig 10 in the owners manual. Then I removed the threaded ring that holds the spring in the lug welded under the barrel & the gas ring was under the spring. When I re-assembled the gun I put the seal ring in front of the gas piston as shown on the diagram (Fig 10) but I'm not 100% certain that's correct. Anyone know where it's REALLY supposed to be located? I tried called Mossberg but couldn't get a live person to speak to.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCell View Post
    Here is what I found when searching some time back. I'm still on the fence about this stock myself.
    http://www.choatemachinetool.com/cat...t=0&recordno=1
    Thanks for the link, looks like it could be good. If anyone has it I'd like to hear from them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just purchased a 930 SPX from a local Sporting Goods store.

The trigger housing wasn't loose until I tapped out the mounting pins for the initial cleaning. Now it is loose, but not so much that it bothers me.

My sights are also set 1 click to the right, but I can't tell if the sight is canted. For certain its not canted as ArizonaScot's is. Thanks for posting the pictures, it really helped having a visual on how much off center folks are talking about.

I took it to the range and ran a box of light field loads through it just to check for function. I had a couple of mis-feeds - but they cleared right up by the end of the first box.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a new 930 SPX on 11/25/09 at Fountain Firearms in Houston - - great people, very helpful. None of the mentioned QC problems so far, but I have not fired it. I did a superficial cleaning but did not disassemble anything yet. Cash price was $631.75.
    The Great Way Is Not Difficult For Those Who Have No Preferences

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine shoots slugs a foot high at 50 yards with the rear sight all the way down. I'm waiting on a new barrel with a higher front sight.

Downloads
    Uploads

Get a new barrel from Mossy!

My 930 SPX was canted and I sent a nice Certified Letter to the CEO explaining the issue. A week later, there was a package on my doorstep...the new barrel!!!!!!
    Didn't have to pay a dime or send the bad barrel in. The new sight has a 1/8" riser nicely welded under the sight. This corrects the 'shooting too high, adjustment bottomed out' syndrome. I'm extremely happy with Mossy qc. This dad gum gun is righteous in that it goes bang with any load. And as far as rapid firing, all I can say is "brace yo seff!!!!!" it def rocks and rolls in rapid fire. The guys on the range come over "what the hell was that, a Saiga?" Ha Ha, now they all want one. Don't put up with the canted sight, Mossy will make it right for ya.