Thread: AR Pistol Q

Downloads
    Uploads

AR Pistol Q

I want to go with a short action AR but I don't want to mess with all the NFA stuff... Could I buy a Pistol AR and go through all the things I need to do for a pistol then install a stock and use it as a carbine?

Anyone know how that works? Is it the barrel length or the lack of a stock that classifies it as a pistol?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't need to go through anything to purchase and use a pistol AR. However, once you put a stock on it, that's a big Federal no-no because then it is a SBR and you'd need the NFA stuff that goes along with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebsley View Post
    You don't need to go through anything to purchase and use a pistol AR. However, once you put a stock on it, that's a big Federal no-no because then it is a SBR and you'd need the NFA stuff that goes along with it.
    Thanks,

That is what I thought but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I can get NFA stuff in Wisconsin but it just takes time and money..... but I really like the idea of having an SBR.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my opinion, you want an SBR and can legally own an SBR in your state? You get the SBR. After all, it just takes time and money, right? The pistol AR is a poor substitution for the real deal. I've owned one and still own the pistol lower just in case I want a short barreled upper around in the future, but I will not own a full AR pistol again. They are fun to shoot to an extent, but they just aren't stable, they are VERY loud indoors, and they aren't as practical as my M&P 9 for HD. Their shortcomings very quickly outweigh their positives.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    In my opinion, you want an SBR and can legally own an SBR in your state? You get the SBR. After all, it just takes time and money, right? The pistol AR is a poor substitution for the real deal. I've owned one and still own the pistol lower just in case I want a short barreled upper around in the future, but I will not own a full AR pistol again. They are fun to shoot to an extent, but they just aren't stable, they are VERY loud indoors, and they aren't as practical as my M&P 9 for HD. Their shortcomings very quickly outweigh their positives.
    I understand but I was just looking at all the options and asking questions. I have no interest in an AR pistol but I was curious if one could turn it into an SBR and still have it classified as a pistol. I didn't think I could but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.