Thread: MG/SBR question

Downloads
    Uploads

MG/SBR question

I like to think I have a pretty good idea of how NFA rules work, but I do have the following question.

If I have a registered m16 receiver, I can put any length barrel on the gun I want without incurring another tax as MG's are not restricted to any barrel length.

Does this also apply to registered drop in auto sears? Or would a receiver that has a sear in it also need a tax stamp to have a shorter than 16" barrel?

No need to post with disclaimers as to not being a lawyer, or if you are an attorney not being legal advice. I'm just looking for a consensus answer.

Thank you,

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    The RDIAS is the MG and can be dressed up any way you like... SBR, etc.

However, when the RDIAS is out of the host receiver, you can't leave a short barrel on the lower.

If I had an RDIAS, I'd have one Host receiver and move barrels and parts around the lower to keep things legit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is my understanding, as well. The sear is, for all intents and purposes, the machinegun; as such, the configuration of the host weapon can conform to machinegun rules while the sear is installed. When the sear is absent, the host weapon must be restored to a non-restricted configuration with respect to both barrel and overall length.

These legal complexities, coupled with the vulnerability of the sear itself, explain why a registered-receiver MG (esp. an original M-16) is always going to be the most desirable -- and costly -- variant among Title II ARs.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.