Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Magpul AFG?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4broke View Post
    Mounted on a LaRue 9" rail = GTG
    So with the LaRue rail you didn't have to remove the XTM panels? I wonder if the different width of the rail compared to an Omega allows for this....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    So with the LaRue rail you didn't have to remove the XTM panels? I wonder if the different width of the rail compared to an Omega allows for this....
    Slippers...sorry i should have been more specific...i have ladders on the side rails of the LaRue.You can just replace the foreward XTM panels with a piece of ladder and keep the rest of the XTM panels on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    EDIT: Added pictures - unfortunately, my camera broke and I had to use my phone.

I received the package from FedEx yesterday and had time this morning to install and do some dry run testing.

I mounted on my MOE handguard with the assistance of an Ergogrip polymer rail.

I chose to mount further forward to help compensate for my long arms. A mid-length or rifle length handguard/rail/free-float system is really ideal for this setup. However, one can compensate a little with the carbine/M4 setup.

I did some action/reaction side transfer drills, some urban prone drills, and reload drills. The AFG is a value added piece of equipment that definitely show a lot of forethought in its design.

The only con that I can come up with is the interchangablity of the finger shelf. I would have figured that they would have used a similiar design to their MIAD grip for the swap out piece.

I will definitely be adding this to any of my future builds.
    Magpul did an outstanding job on this one.
    Last edited by chem_guy; 19 December 2009 at 19:08. Reason: Adding photos
    Place your clothes and weapons where you can reach them in the dark. - R. Heinlein
    Always stand on principle, even if you stand alone. - John Quincy Adams
    Fortis cadere, cedere non potest - A brave man may fail, but he cannot yield.

My Blog

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just some preliminary shots. Wife took the camera I normally use, and most of the pics I took were junk. I'll have to redo them tomorrow.

The AFG disassembled. The grip comes put together, but it is actually two halves and an interchangeable finger groove/smooth front plate. The two halves lock together much like a XTM panel. The front plate fits in a slot between the two halves. The user can select smooth or the finger groove, and the groove can be oriented up or down. Two small machine screws hold the two halves together, and a large screw secures the unit to the rail.
    The AFG takes up 15 slots on my rail. I did not have any issues with my DD rail, Magpul XTs, and Magpul ladders, but some people have had issues with the XTM panels at the 3 and 9 due to the width of the AFG.

The carbine it is on. Midlength LRB/RA billet with Lite 12" rail. Lights are TLR1 and SF Helmet Light.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelEMPIRE View Post
    I definitely remember reading about it, AC. I wonder who came up with the idea first though.

Textured XTM panels. Digital CTR Stock. Angled Foregrip. --They're all teasers, but I wonder what else Magpul may be hiding up their sleeves! I guess you can say I'm excited. lol

Sadly I didn't get in, myself. Honestly was up all night thinking we might get an offer only to fall asleep around 08:00 AM. Regardless, it won't be long until we all get our hands on one--patience.

-rebelEMPIRE
    I believe anyone can get their stock or any other item dipped just as Travis did. Also, the the stippling of the XTM panels isn't too difficult- depends on whether you want some sort of "perfection" or not.

BTW you'd be surprised to find out when I first mentioned a concept like this and to whom I mentioned it to. We all come up with neat ideas briefly, just never know how to fully exploit them the best. Most of us aren't in any position to exploit them at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey is there any threads for do it your self stippling.... and maybe ones for thinning down KAC rail panels

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    BTW you'd be surprised to find out when I first mentioned a concept like this and to whom I mentioned it to.
    I hope it wasn't Dick Swan.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by shrockster View Post
    Hey is there any threads for do it your self stippling.... and maybe ones for thinning down KAC rail panels
    DIY stippling on plastic isn't too difficult, just a little practice helps. Get yourself a soldering gun/iron and exchange the tip out with the implement that achieves what you are looking for and this is where the practice comes in play. The tip might end up being a nail or a screw with the end shaped a particular way to give the look you want. I practiced on my cordless drills grips until I found what I was looking for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would probably be more willing to add texture by applying something rather than burning into the surface of the product. I read an article a while back about a rifle, that I ended up buying one for myself, where a guy used Herculiner (roll-on truck bed liner) to treat the stock grip and forearm of his Rem700 MilSpec 5R SS .308 Winchester. His pic came out pretty nice and he loves the feel.

Click here for a pic - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5TA5KUuAKd...-h/5R+043a.JPG

Click here for the whole article on the Rem700 5R .308 Winchester (now available in Winchester 300 Mag) - http://www.tobystactical.com/2007/11...r-milspec.html

Herculiner (Drawback: limited colors........ - Black) - http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/p...143&id=3320701
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really hoping Magpul comes out with a replacement lower for their handguard that has an AFG built into it.
    Don't mess with my network. Or Texas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I managed to get it to work with my panels, but I had to move them all the way to the rear of the rail (well almost all the way, I wanted the QD sockets exposed). The front of the AFG juts out under the FSB a bit, but seems to (coincidentally) match up to Travis' setup. Two pairs of magpul xtm panels fit behind it.

I found that when holding the AFG with your thumb over the top of the rail you don't even touch the exposed sections of rail, and since you're pulling back towards your body, there's no chance to accidentally touch the FSB and burn yourself, either.

I still haven't found a way to put my surefire scout in the 3 o'clock rail position unless I get a new mount, so I have left it off for now, since I don't like it on the 9 o'clock spot (I'm right handed).

Unfortunately I only got to put a hundred rounds down the range with it before leaving for the holidays, but it definitely feels more comfortable to me when compared to having no AFG/VFG/hand stop, and I found I was able to hold the rifle up for a longer period of time before fatiguing, since I don't have to grip the rail while pulling it in tightly. The AFG allows you to relax your hand slightly but still have a secure purchase due to how it has the lip at the bottom that the edge of your hand rests against, and the finger groove (if you so choose).

Quick pic mounted on my full bcm midlength:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Once I get mine I will post something. Looks like from what some of you have posted it is going to be a good product.
    Marksmanship is a perishable a skill.

http://www.snipersustainment.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine came in the other day. Got a chance to toss it onto my LWRC M6A2. Snapped a couple of pictures and I'll be working on a review as soon as I get a little more time with it. After Christmas I'll be bringing the AFG with me, and we'll see how it feels on an M16A2.

Initial impression is positive. It is a well made piece of gear that lives up to what is expected of the Magpul name. If you do utilize the thumb over bore grip the AFG is definitely an ergonomic improvement. I'm in a similar boat as shooter. I just haven't really gotten into the TOB grip, but this AFG might just sell me on it. I've been playing with TOB without an AFG and it is faster IMHO. I just wish I'd had the AFG for the short range marksmanship drills we were doing the other day. More to Follow.

-alt

Downloads
    Uploads
    3 of them were deliverd today to me.
    here is a quick pic

Downloads
    Uploads

Brownell's IN STOCK!

I just placed an order for one through Brownell's! It was $29 with my discount.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3...LED_FORE_GRIP#