Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Magpul AFG?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Just ordered two to try them out.
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    i just got a facebook message from magpul saying these are ready to order

Downloads
    Uploads
    First off, thanks to Magpul for sending so many of these out for free for people to test them out and evaluate them. I know most of the people who got these are probably big AR guys and have tried every different AR doodad out already, but having just finished my first AR, I thought I might offer a little different insight.

First off, I love how this thing is put together. If you're familiar with any of the other magpul gear, then expect the same level of quality here. It's very solid and well put together. Minor gripe is that to mount it you use a flat head screwdriver but to take it apart to change out the finger grip insert you have to use an allen wrench. Minor quibble but it seems like using the same sort of fastener would have made it a little more user friendly.

Secondly, (and this is not an AFG issue, rather a MOE hand guard issue) is that once you add a piece of rail on the bottom of the hand guard and then add some sort of fore grip to it, that leverage pulling on the hand guard make it seem a little less stable than it does when you're just holding on to the hand guard itself. I didn't notice that much wobble in the hand guards when I shot with them last week, but once you add a VFG or the AFG, the leverage generated from your hand pushing on the fore grip, exaggerates the issue. It's worse with a standard fore grip than with the AFG though. As a result of this, I'm most likely going to get a rail system of some sort eventually.

As far as mounting the AFG goes, it's a snap. I used a 4" piece of aluminum rail from ERGO. I don't think you really need more than that unless you're wanting to add something else on the rail as well. The 4" piece is almost exactly the same length as the AFG. In the pics below you can see a little rail sticking out the back, but that's just because I've got the AFG riding forward where my hand naturally falls when I do this grip style. The single bolt goes through the rails and locks the AFG in place.

Look at the pics below to see that while it does take up more horizontal space on the rail, it takes up a TON less space vertically, and would be ideal for a SBR or CQ rifle where you're trying to avoid having bits of gear sticking out to catch on stuff.

The finger grip protrusion worried me when I first saw pictures but it falls directly between my first two fingers and the last two fingers. As easy as that piece is to flip over or remove and replace with the smooth insert though, I can't imagine any one having problems. I was also worried about the overall size of the AFG, because I have very large hands, but it seems to have been designed with that in mind, or with gloved hands in mind, as it fits my hand almost perfectly.

This last picture is to show a bit better how the AFG interacts with the MOE hand guards since I've seen a ton of people asking about it. I can definitely see Magpul making a version of the AFG that just replaces the bottom piece of the MOE hand guard. It seems like it would be the natural progression to just alter the MOE hand guard altogether or increase the price a bit and give a straight bottom or a AFG bottom piece.

As far as using it goes, I haven't had a chance to fire it with the AFG installed yet, but the bastardized grip that I was using with the VFG is the exact same grip that the AFG pretty much automatically puts you in. From the pistol training I've done, I know that the closer your hands are to the same axis as bore of the gun, the more accurate you tend to be and the less felt recoil you perceive. As such, the grip that the AFG forces you into does pretty much the same thing on the AR platform. For me personally I can't see paying 50-100 for a standard vertical foregrip that I'll be jury rigging to work with this grip style, when someone out there is now making something that works perfectly for this style and is considerably cheaper.

The ergonomics of it feel very nice in the hand. I've let some other non-AR rifle shooters feel the gun with with the AFG installed and they commented on how natural it felt. The fact that you don't have to over-supinate your hand makes a world of difference in the pointabilty of the rifle. Personally if I supinate my wrist in the typical hunting rifle position for a long period of time, the tendons in the back of my hand start to ache. That doesn't happen for me with the AFG, which is another reason that I like it. It definitely seems like a lot of thought went into this to get the angle and the ergonomics down.

That's about it till I get a chance to shoot with it installed. Thanks again Magpul!
    “If you can’t be counted on, you can’t be counted in”

-Burke
    “Down Here” by Andrew Vachss

Downloads
    Uploads
    My AFG arrived from Brownell's today!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine came in today. After taking it out of the package and reading the instructions I slip it on my Larue rail. It went right on with no problems. I did a few dry fires and the first think I did was remove the finger shelf and replaced it with the flat one. The instructions again were very helpful. The finger groove one did not work for me. I will know more once I do some live fire with it. Thanks to Magpul, Travis and Drake for letting me try one.

Marksmanship is a perishable a skill.

http://www.snipersustainment.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's my take on the AFG after using it for just over 500 rounds. After receiving one of the ten AFG's that were given out here on Wevo (thanks Magpul ) I was excited to say the least. Overall the design is good, it went on all three of my rifles easily and mounted solid, I'm not going to post any pictures because it seems like there are plenty already so I'll just include my observations.

After mounting and doing some dry fire drills I opted to change out the insert to the flat instead of the a2 style. I have small hands and my fingers just didn't seem to line up well w/ the A2 style, having the option to change inserts was a very good move on Magpuls part. The changing of the insert is easy and from what I could gather they both seemed to fit equally as secure.

After getting an insert in that I liked and a chance to hit up the range I started to do drills, from low ready bringing my gun up and pop off a few shots. I pretty much did this for the first couple hundred rounds in different variations facing left, right, backwards etc. and moving but all in all bringing the gun from low ready or sul. I didn't shoot any prone so I'm not sure how it would feel but to be honest I never hold my rifle the same while in prone or kneeling as I do while squating, double kneeling or standing. After burning through some ammo I decided to see how it was while shooting multiple targets (to test how well it helped with movement of the rifle from left to right etc.) as well as firing multiple shots on one target to see how it helped with controlling recoil.

The biggest surprise while using the AFG to me was the fact that it seemed to be almost natural. I know ergonomics play a large role in fatigue and comfort and overall the AFG seems to be the best option on a rifle that I've used. As for perceived recoil or speed while shooting multiple targets I couldn't honestly tell you it was any faster than using a vfg, it did seem to put less stress on my wrist and didn't require me to readjust my grip. At one point I realized as hard as I was trying to think about how the AFG felt I was just thinking about the target and my trigger squeeze.

Overall I'd give the AFG a 9/10 it's comfortable and "just feels right" also the price is right, it's very easy to install and modify, it locks up tight, and has a low profile. The only negative that I can see is that it has to slide onto the rails so if you put rail covers or anything in front of it, they will need to be removed if you decide to remove the AFG later (a QD version would be nice, but would obviously increase the price) and the length, I don't run anything under my rail other than a VFG and have rail systems that are 10" or longer but I could see it becoming a possible issue if you have to mount anything underneath (possibly a qd bipod) with it not being QD and taking up so much space.
    -BC

"I would never have a 7.62 as my primary home defense weapon. I mean by all means if I'm cleaning a 7.62 and some d-bag busts down my door I'll give him a bad day"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mounted my AFG to my Larue rail. I am using Magpul XT rail covers on the side rails and the AFG won't fit where there are covers. Bummer. I got the AFG to slide a little bit over the cover, but not very far. Appears that the lip on the AFG interferes with the covers on the narrow Larue rail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I installed on a DD M4 Rail and the XTM covers seem to fit normally without interference with the AFG. I did find that rail-mounted QD sling mounts (DD and Gear Sector) cannot be mounted on the M4 Rail directly over the AFG, but instead have to be mounted forward of it.
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe the DD rails are more oval than the LaRue so it makes sense.
    -BC

"I would never have a 7.62 as my primary home defense weapon. I mean by all means if I'm cleaning a 7.62 and some d-bag busts down my door I'll give him a bad day"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcoastie View Post
    I believe the DD rails are more oval than the LaRue so it makes sense.
    Larue and DD M4/Lite rails are all right around 2" wide. It's the reduced height of the bottom rail on the Larue that makes the AFG harder to fit. This causes the AFG sides to come up and nearly touch the 3 and 9 o'clock rails, whereas on the DD rails you still have some clearance.