Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

FAB-Defense KPOS Glock stock

As this product isn't on the companys website yet and I haven't seen anything about it on US websites, I'd like to introduce the KPOS pistol-stock that will be offered by FAB-Defense soon.

I am aware of the legalities in the US adding stocks to pistols (basically making registering as a SBR with tax stamp necessary if I'm not mistaken).

But as the Hera Stock is already swapping over to you, this is probably also interesting. I just handled this stock and only fired a couple of Simmunition rounds for now, but I am looking forward to do a more indepth test for our publication soon.

What I can give are a couple of teaser-pics of this setup taken on the Milipol in Paris a few weeks ago, where this stock was first publicly shown:

For now a version for both Glock 17 and Glock 19 and a version for the SIG 2022 (a variant of the SigPro) is in the pipeline, with more to come, most probably. I think they choose to build one for the SIG 2022 first as this pistol was introduced to french law enforcement agencis with a quite astonishing number of 250,000 units...

For the Glock there is one minor modification that is needed to fix the charging handle to the gun (replacing the rear plate) which still makes is possible to use most holster types out there. I will be able to say more after our testing.

The conversion between pistol and carbine configuration should be pretty fast, here I am also looking forward to testing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haven't seen many photos of this from Shot, but it has been shown there, also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8biyoZs18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Cnsj2sdpM

I have my example incoming, looking forward to put it through it's paces...

Downloads
    Uploads
    American laws do put such a weapon into what often seems like a needlessly-restrictive category, but the concept would seem to hold some promise for certain applications.

Of course, I'm every bit as interested in Kommando magazine as I am in the KPOS itself. Keep these cross-Continental insghts coming!

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nicely done Mike - and very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, for sharing, interesting.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just some low-quality pics from the first testing session. We ran just around 350 rounds through the little beast but everybody who shot it was instantly hooked.

Downloads
    Uploads
    can't wait to shoot it without a "C"...

Downloads
    Uploads
    First and second impressions after running in excess of 1,000 rounds through it yesterday:

- very manageable recoil with uncompensated barrel
    - almost negligible recoil with compensated barrel
    - very... accentuated muzzle pressure (muzzle is closer to the face compared to shooting a pistol, so this was to be expected)
    - height of sight over bore allows for impact within 3" of point-of-aim up to about 130 meters
    - I was able to constantly hit US Army-issue 3D pop-up targets at 100 meters
    - even the sceptics that had the chance to shoot it yesterday admitted that this little thing is more than they expected
    - shooting singlehandedly is possible if needed, but it get's difficult to quickly pick up the dot of the T1 because of the relatively small aperture. There an EOTech comes in handy

Only noticeable drawback so far:

- eats ammo way too fast...

A little more technical detail:

As already said, the only modification to the gun is replacing the factory slide endplate with a special plate accepting the charging handle. Installing the modified pistol in the stock takes about 45-60 seconds, depending on the type of forward grip you choose to use (QD or screw-on e.g.).
    We opted to go with a Tango Down QD stubby yesterday while using a TDI SVG so far.
    A Magpul MS2 was used as a single point sling. This allows for hands free carry if needed. This sling also facilitates switching to the left shoulder.
    Sight used was a Aimpoint Micro T1 on a LT660 Larue Mount, this feels natural in this setup. Also used when applicable was an EOTech 3x magnifier in a Larue LT670-EO. I mounted the magnifier "the wrong way", thus allowing for a better eye relieve with the provided rear rail, this also results in having to push the magnifier forward to flip it. I like it this way.

To be able to release magazines without loosing a good shooting grip on the gun I installed a factory extended magazine release. If planning to use the pistol in a holster alternately, make sure that the holster works with the extended release button.

Because of the blast being channeled within the forward portion of the stock one should probably consider to protect the white dot of the front sight using a small strip of duct tape or so. Otherwise the dot may get dirty and requires proper cleaning. The forward portion of the gun gets pretty dirty but the residues can be easily wiped off.

Last edited by Mike; 19 February 2010 at 15:16.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can totally agree with what Mike said. Even for someone like me who totally sucks at shooting a pistol it was easy to get some nice impact groups on the targets, even if used without the stock - just drive it as far forward as the sling allows and once you get the red dot in sight you're done, thanks to the stability provided by either sling and vertical grip.

My personal conclusion after shooting aprox 200 rounds: I'm beginning to like shooting "pistols".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very interesting. Please continue with anymore observations you have with more shooting.

Do you think the company plans a large frame version? I think this added to a G20 would be ideal.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been told that they actually plan to make a .45-frame version of the stock that should be able to accept all large frames. It may take a while but it is in the works.

Three weeks from now is the IWA fair, Germanys and Europes biggest arms and equipment industry fair. I assume that we will learn more about the time table then.
    Last edited by Mike; 22 February 2010 at 22:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike,
    Just had a thought about this today. A guy was at the local gun store while I was there and had the HERA system and I immediately thought about this system as well:
    WHen you have it slung, or in a general carry position, in what condition do you keep the weapon?

I carry a g19 everyday so carrying with a round in chamber doesn't bother me with my gun in a holster but looking at pictures there is nothing protecting the trigger, that freaks me out a little. We don't do that with ARs.

So I was thinking of the Raven Concealment Vanguard style holster.
    http://www.themalabarfront.com/produ...oducts_id=1617

or obviously carried in an empty chamber condition.

Thoughts? Thanks,

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't used it in earnest so far but I'd carry it in Condition 3 - it's easy to charge using the cocking handle that is attached to the backplate of the glock slide.

I now have a tad over 1000 rounds through it and getting it into action from Condition 3 is fast. This vanguard thingy is interesting though, I'll try to lay my hands on one, just to try it out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Suarez tactical also sells a similar kydex trigger guard.
    http://www.onesourcetactical.com/zac...ntholster.aspx

Im thinking, tied down to a side belt loop would still allow you to keep the gun tucked under your arm.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was pretty much what I also thought.
    Tie this trigger holster to a length of paracord fixed to the pants on the side you'll carry the rig and when raising the gun you "unholster" it automatically.

By the way, I just collected my CAA T&E RONI G1 stock from customs and just opened the box.
    Here they introduced a "trigger safety" basically just covering both sides of the trigger. They didn't have that safety on the then-latest version they showed in november in Paris. Somebody there had the same thoughts...
    Last edited by Mike; 8 March 2010 at 14:11.