Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

AR Pistol Barrel Length Questions

So next build on my list is to do a pistol build. I have thought about the overall build and when looking at barrels I know I do not want to go over 11.5", actually 11.3".

I would like to hear the pros and cons of the barrels from 11.3" down to 7.5" barrels.

I am really leaning towards a 10.3" DD CHF barrel at the moment.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What do you want to use it for? For the sake of building it? Breathing fire? Compact competition gun?

10.3" Colt has been extremely reliable (and apparently the gas port for the DD barrels is a little different than Colt's spec). But my 11.5" gun has been good to go and not quite as "snappy." Personally, I have no use for anything shorter than 10" (and honestly, the only reason I went 10.3 was to build a clone), but that's my use, not yours.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    What do you want to use it for? For the sake of building it? Breathing fire? Compact competition gun?

10.3" Colt has been extremely reliable (and apparently the gas port for the DD barrels is a little different than Colt's spec). But my 11.5" gun has been good to go and not quite as "snappy." Personally, I have no use for anything shorter than 10" (and honestly, the only reason I went 10.3 was to build a clone), but that's my use, not yours.
    Well I guess I should have answered this in the OP.

I would prefer is not be a fire breather at all, will either use a Birdcage FH or one of the various compensators (VG6 or BCM). Sole purpose of this will be something I can slap in a sling bag for a go-gun. Really looking to get outdoors more (hiking and backpacking). Wanting something super light and compact without worrying about the stamp issue. Will probably have a Law Tactical folding stock adapter on it with a Sig brace. Basically going to be an off body carry setup.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After my SBR's have slowly been getting approved one by one, I've moved out of Pistols (I think I still have one Pistol Lower) The shortest barrel I used for the most part was 10.5" Those seem to run well for me. I did have an 8.2" Noveske in 300 BLK.

Anyhow, I don't have a problem with running 10.5" uppers because like I said, they have run well for me, suppressed and unsuppressed. Recently, I took advantage of BCM's upper deal and snagged an 11.5" Upper.

BCM has stated that they make 11.5 vs 10.5 as the 11.5" has 40% more dwell time with that extra inch of barrel.

Unless you have another barrel cut down, I don't think anyone makes an 11.3"

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_138/174764_.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wilson makes a 11.3" barrel for 5.56.. it is out of stock on their site but you are still allowed to place on order for backorder on it still.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-C...o/TR-556SBR11/

The reason I want to stay away from doing an SBR on this is due to the fact that I will be going on backpacking trips out of state and the hassle of that is just not worth it to me. With it being registered as a pistol it wouldn't be an issue.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting that Wilson will thread the barrel 5/8-24 regardless of caliber.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would not have thought to even look at the threading would have expected it to be 1/2-28 Threading
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 7.5" pistol I built using a JSE Surplus upper and it runs fine. It's basically a flame thrower. It's a fun toy but I wouldn't do it again. I'm going to build another but it will be probably in the 10.5“ range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is always the option of building it in 9mm also.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Put a pws cqb on it and there will be no fire, I endorse it.

Otherwise, DDs mk18 setup is shortest I will go with expectations of engagements up to 300y.

I have a 11.5 bcm upper and that thing is a hammer, highly recommended.

I am getting a 7.5 upper from pws and would suggest running a piston build if ur going under 10inches.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok so I am thinking for 11.5" I would go with 11.5" BCM Barrel, with 11" CMR and I like the look of the PWS CQB. If I did DD 10.3 I would use the SLR Ultra Lite 10" Keymod rail and use the Strike Industries Cookie Cutter muzzle device. Would like to see how the cookie cutter ran at night. Phase 5 Hex2 buffer tuber assembly SB15 brace use a law tac folding adapter to help with making it more compact and giving that little bit of extra length deployed. Haven't decided on a hand stop or angled foregrip yet. Will probably run a Vortex SPARC II and get 3 20 round mags for it. Drop all of that in a sling bag.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not knocking BCM, but another option that you may want to consider is a Centurion Arms 11.5. It's a LW profile and has a great weight. While mine is a 12.5, I've continued to be very happy with mine and it's been very accurate if I'm not an idiot on the trigger. Since you were looking for a lightweight weapon to throw in a bag, figured I'd put that out there. I can't remember if BCM has a lightweight short barrel, but if they do, never mind.

One catch on the CA is that I'm not sure how much inventory is out there right now since Monty moved from CA to IN.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I like the idea of a LW profile barrel, I am pretty sure the DD and the BCM are both government profile barrels.
    I have time, just putting my options on paper right now and getting an idea for the budget I will need.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Oh I like the idea of a LW profile barrel, I am pretty sure the DD and the BCM are both government profile barrels.
    I have time, just putting my options on paper right now and getting an idea for the budget I will need.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...11lw%20std.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks totally didn't see that there. Like I said just getting ideas down on paper and getting a rough feel for what my budget is. Looking to be between $1300-$1600 as of right now.
    Just a regular guy.