Downloads
    Uploads

built another ''lightweight''

hello.

just thoughts i'ed post about my newest lightweight build.

a pencil barrel 20'' 1x9 twist' with a YHM single rail gas block'
    a midwayusa aluminum free floater'
    BCM BCG
    M4 stock' with H2 buffer n' tubbs spring.
    and a plum crazy lower.

i used a cutt down A2 rear sight and a clamp on picatinny front sight.

i also went as low cost as i could'
    under 500 so far'

i need to weigh it. without mag, it feels like five pounds.

my buddy jim picked it up' and almost hit himselfe in the mouth !! wasen't expecting it to be so light , ha.
    peabody

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a fan of the pencil profile. I bought a 16" BCM upper for my build, and everyone who shoots it comments on how light it is. That extra weight savings can make a big difference, especially if you mount a gadget or two on the hand guard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds nice. I'd bet you're close to 6 lb. though. I built this 16" carbine with a stripped Carbon-15 Upper & Cav Arms lower and she's 5 lb. 1 oz. (without magazine):

Last edited by sonrider657; 8 October 2010 at 15:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    sonrider''

yes' after finding your post' i WILL weigh mine whenever i get back home.

you have a great looking stick there !! 5.1 pounds , now that is great !

i did change one thing. on mine.... i reverted back to the A1 stock' for a hunting rifle , i like the smoother stock'
    and of course no rattles.

i know' the rattles is an eazy fix.. but needed an excuse to try out , putting on an A1 stock, on the plum crazy lower. worked just fine.

i sure do enjoy my ''lightweight'' , and it was a fun build. i'm also going to swap out the chopped down carry handle rear sight for a DD1.5 fixed BUIS.

its slowly coming around' for the most ''usefull'' rifle that i can make it.

peabody

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey sonrider, Have you thought about building those for resale? I bet there is a good market for them.

And what kind of accuracy do you get at 100 yards? With the fiber upper and plastic lower, I am wondering if there is any excessive bend or inconsistency which would influence accuracy.

Thanks!
    A good story about a great Finn: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hayha.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    its slowly coming around' for the most ''usefull'' rifle that i can make it.
    peabody
    Sounds like you're on exactly the right track - a functional yet light rifle.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    Hey sonrider, Have you thought about building those for resale? I bet there is a good market for them.

And what kind of accuracy do you get at 100 yards? With the fiber upper and plastic lower, I am wondering if there is any excessive bend or inconsistency which would influence accuracy.

Thanks!

Hmmm, never thought about building them for resale. I got the stripped Carbon-15 Upper and the Superlight Barrel used so a steady, affordable supply of them might be hard to come by, but if I could find some I wouldn't mind building a few for resale.

Shooting with the iron sights on this carbine, I have found that the practical accuracy is about the same as my other AR15's. I have not done a good bench-rest test with it but I would expect 3-inch groups. (Incidental story: the first shot I ever took with it was at about 30 yards at a pill bottle full of Tanerite. I had not zeroed the gun, nor even shot it, when I said to my buddy, "Well let's see if it works". I took a quick aim at the pill bottle and BOOM! a nice little Tanerite explosion. I did not expect to hit it and about crapped when the little pill bottle erupted. :) The sights were almost perfectly zeroed by happenstance.)