Thread: 5 Round Mags???

Downloads
    Uploads

5 Round Mags???

Does anyone know where I can pick up or order some 5 round magazines for my AR? I want to go coyote hunting. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't ban me please, lol. C-products makes/sells 5 rounders IIRC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also make an improvised u-shaped spring spacer for your existing 20 round magazines. Colt actually used to include 5-round-delimited 20 round magazines with civil AR Sporters once upon a time. Generally speaking, it isn't important that such a modification be permanent; only that it be installed when you're hunting.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it doesn't have to be permanent then install an insert that makes a 20 round mag only hold 5. Easiest way to do this would be to add a block between the spring and the floor plate. You could also add a dowel inside the magazine to prevent the follower from allowing more then 5 rounds at one time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a picture, but cant find it at the moment.
    Brownells curved 20rnd mag, Magpul follower, loaded with 5rnds, measured then added a little so when the bolt is closed the mag will lock in place. drilled a hole and installed a roll pin

Stand by for a pic.

ETA.

Last edited by 103m 95g; 27 December 2009 at 18:33.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Generally speaking, it isn't important that such a modification be permanent; only that it be installed when you're hunting.
    If that's legit then I'll throw in how I do it.

This works especially well with PMAGs (and here best with the 20rnd versions, see pictures) but I've been told that it works with aluminum mags, too, although I never tried that myself:

• Visit your local hardware store and get a piece of L-shaped plastic slat* with these (metric) dimensions: 15mmx15mmx1.5mm

• Cost over here is 3-4 Euros for 2.5 meters of length - this will allow you to limit a lot of magazines (as you will need between 50-100mm per mag).

• You will need a small saw (or any other suitable tool) to cut it to length and a small file to remove burrs.

• Cut the length according to your needs**.

• File of the burrs.

• Bend it a little in the corner - the angle has to be a bit less than 90° to fit in the mag (see pictures).

• Remove floorplate.

• Insert the limiter into magazine, make sure that it sits centered. When inserting into a curved magazine it may take a bit of force as you will have to make it follow the curvature. It's a bit easier with a straight 20rnd Mag.

• Replace floorplate and push the follower into the magazine to set the limiter firm and without play against the floorplate (in reverse it may need a firm push to lift the limiter again to be able to remove the floorplate, it has to be a bit farther in to disengage the lock on a PMAG floorplate).

* is that the right word? See picture #2, a plastic angled profile.

** for us Germans it's 48 mm for a 20rnd PMAG to get the legal 10rnd capacity. For IPSC Rifle we are not allowed to use limited magazines that had an original capacity larger than 20rnds. But it works with curved 30rnd PMAGs too.

You will have to experiment what exact length you need to limit your magazine to exactly 5 rounds. Try to leave a little play (about "half a round") to allow insertion of the mag with the bolt closed. This is millimeter work, be gentle and precise - and don't forget to push the limiter completely down using the follower - otherwise you may be able to load a round too much when you really push hard. It would be unpleasing if this could have legal consequences in some way when somebody checks.
    Last edited by Mike; 27 December 2009 at 23:37.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That’s a good idea Mike!

I’m not sure on the availability of the plastic here in the States, haven’t seen an Obi or BayWa yet around Colorado......LOL!!!!

But, I’m betting a section of aluminum extrusion, cut and trimmed to fit, would work just the same!

Downloads
    Uploads
    At least for straight magazines. Aluminum will be a bit hard to be shoved around the curvature of a 30rnd magazine.

I noticed that it is really hard to verify that such stuff is available in the US using the internet...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go to your local home depot in the building or possible the garden department, believe they sell something of the sorts when building plastic Lattice structures. Also there is a plastic corner bead that may work well too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember seeing somebody who posted pics of a modded PMag that involved cutting the body with a dremel at a certain spot that allowed the floor plate to be reinstalled and a new 5 round magazine being created. Anybody else see this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen this done with 30 rnd magazines to make 20 rnd magazines - that was before those where directly available from Magpul. I seriously doubt that a magazine shortened to 5 rounds will still fit into a magwell. When cut flush at the bottom of the magwell I think there are 7 or 8 rounds in already, at least (please correct me when I'm wrong here).

So, you still would need some kind of limiter to be inserted to get the capacity down to 5 rounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMatt View Post
    I remember seeing somebody who posted pics of a modded PMag that involved cutting the body with a dremel at a certain spot that allowed the floor plate to be reinstalled and a new 5 round magazine being created. Anybody else see this?

I did a search and came up with this example on what you have to do:

(found here)

Still, this produces a 10 round magazine, a 5 round magazine would have to be quite a bit shorter, thus interfering with the mag well. The 5 round magazines I found on the web either have a pin/rivet or a fixed or loose limiter in a 10 rnd body or use polymer extensions to get short 5 rnd bodys back to manageable length.

This picture illustrates the 10 round / magwell "problem":

Here are some other discussions that show other options of limiting magazines to specific capacities:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=147553

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=125645

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=120280

(these seem to be permanent modifications needed to comply to the Cali 10 round limit, as far as I understood you don't need permanently altered magazines for hunting, just a certain maximum capacity at the time you use the magazine during the hunt, is this right?)
    Last edited by Mike; 1 January 2010 at 06:29.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that you mention it, it was to limit the 30 rounder to a 20 or 10. I guess the best thing to do is to grab a stock 20 rounder and insert a plastic dowel type device to limit it to 5 rounds. Thanks for the input.

Downloads
    Uploads

5 round mag

Hobby shops . They have various plastic shapes for model construction .