Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Paulo,

Which instructor taught your class?
    Mike Heath.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, that name doesn't ring any bells with me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a Colt Match Target HBAR that I bough in November of 2000 that was not staked. I don’t know if it was missed or if that was standard for the MT. Maybe they only stake the LE guns and not the civilian ones?

Downloads
    Uploads
    All the LMT BCGs I've had always have been staked, but yours predates the ones I've bought.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, if staking is recommended because of the fear of vibration and subsequent bolt walk, shouldn't the automotive industry stake rather than LocTite bolts on an engine to prevent the possibility of certain bolts walking out due to vibration?
    There must be much more vibration in a cars engine than an AR.

Just asking,
    prib

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrprib View Post
    So, if staking is recommended because of the fear of vibration and subsequent bolt walk, shouldn't the automotive industry stake rather than LocTite bolts on an engine to prevent the possibility of certain bolts walking out due to vibration?
    There must be much more vibration in a cars engine than an AR.

Just asking,
    prib
    Lot more heat in a BC under hard use I suppose.

But if you drive a modern-ish automobile, you are trusting your life and those of your loved one's to lock-tite every time, doubly so if you are on two wheels.
    I don't know how hot a BC get's, or when assorted types of lock-tite craps out, but I know it's significantly over 300 degrees
    in practice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tel76 View Post
    have one of w/o barrels. stainless steel 1/7 recon always on target . looked in to the company ,they have quite a few DCMS winners
    Lost me on that one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the auto industry, they use bolt stretch calculated in a lab to approximate a certain bolt torque. Piston rods are the only place you can actually measure the stretch and is the best way to install your bolts. Very few (I can't think of one, so I'm sure I'm missing a couple - oh wait, the brakes!) bolts in a car are required to hold under the perpendicular pressure that a BCG gas key bolt is. As to the calipers on brakes, their primary force is still linear, and those bolts are always much larger than they need to be, don't ask how I know. Also, most bolts in cars hold a linear pressure and have several other points of contact for a particular part. One nice reason to stake even if you Red-tited is to visually check if the bolts have moved, though they won't... ever. I've used Red Tite in racing engines for years... less and less as I learned what parts really need it, and what don't. It makes taking them apart again a real pain. Thank the Good Lord for copper anti-seize!
    Todd
    I'm young with limited experience... so my thoughts are worth 'bout a quarter of what you paid - and I don't give out refunds.