Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Check the laws where you live, go get some training and range time-don't just go with a bunch of buddies and learn bad habits. I agree with the chief, maybe consider a 22 caliber pistol for training. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hopefully this thread isn't too old for me to add to.

My advise would be to get a ruger 10/22. Learn the basics of cleaning, maintenance, safety, and marksmanship. The ammo is cheap, and the recoil and muzzle blast is low so you won't start off trying to get acustomed to those things and you can concentrate on basics. .22 is no manstopper but it beats a broom stick. Then you can hunt squirrel and rabbit which are (a) more abundant and (b) the seasons are open longer. Deer and turkey hunting is alot of fun but it's much harder than bunnies and tree rats. Start slow and work your way up. Once you get the basics down move on to a shotgun, then pistol and rifle. That's my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know if you qualify for this but,

https://secure.usstandardissue.com/i...TOKEN=31043171

Downloads
    Uploads
    My recommendation would be to start with basic understanding of how does a firearm work, safety rules and manipulations. A good basic shooting class or (if not available) a good DVD about shooting (Matt Burkett Practical Shooting Volume 1-3 or Magpul Handgun) is the best start.
    Then I would go to a shooting range where you can borrow guns and try to shoot/handle as many as possible. I would start with a 9mm double action gun for two reasons: 1. Ammunition is cheaper. 2. You can dry fire it a lot. (Cheap way to learn the basics.) A revolver in .38 might be an alternative.
    After you feel really comfortable with the 9mm you can look into a rifle. Depending on the shooting places available you can go with a .22 (indoor) or a .223. An AR15 is my first choice.

Stay away form the shotgun! I am not aware of any other type of firearm I have seen so many problems than with the shotgun! Be it handling or the firearm itself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    the first gun i bought for myself when i was on my own was a shotgun. at the time you could get a mossberg 500 combo kit for less then $300 dollars. it came with 2 barrels,a home defense barrel and a bird barrel. i used this gun every weekend for 3-4 years before i could afford to start buying other guns. the next gun was an sks, i think i paid $100 for and shot it and the shotgun every weekend i could for another 2-3 years before i could afford a pistol, which was a used sig p225 i paid $300 dollars for, and on ,and on... most of these guns i still have and i have purchased alot of others along the way, and spent thousands on ammo. don't rush into buying all the go fast goodies everyone loves. my opinion is the best bang for the buck is a shotgun, you can hunt just about anything in north america with it, and it will stop bad guys. then work on getting a rifle that is cheap to shoot, maybe a ruger10/22 or an sks, and then work on a pistol when you are old enough.but spend your money on ammo and go shooting as much as possible. talk to others that shoot and try everyones gun that will let you. the guys who shoot alot can do wonders with the worst guns imaginable.
    later
    alan

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as your shotgun, stick with a pump gun first. Semi's can be finicky with ammo and cause you to be involved in immediate action drills....both great systems but I think you'd be better served with a pump-gun first off.
    cmoore

Currently in service:

Springfield Operator .45, VZ's, Ed Brown mag well, Novak Lo-pro tritium's

Colt M4, 5.56, EoTech 553, Hensoldt-Wetzlar 3.5 magnifyer, Matech rear flip, Quicksilver suppressor

"You get more with a kind word and a gun, than a kind word alone". -AL Capone