Downloads
    Uploads

EOTech XPS 3-2 Review.

Please post any comments here:
    http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...6146#post16146

INTRODUCTION:
    This is a technical oriented review of the EOTech XPS 3-2. The EOTech XPS 3-2 has a BDC reticle so I will focus on explaining the reticle. I will also be doing a battery life test.

EOTech XPS 3-2 RETICLE EXPLANATION:
    The EOTech XPS 3-2 reticle was calibrated with the M855 ammo with a MV of 2900 FPS with a 50 yard zero. So the center dot is calibrated for 50/200 yard zero and the second dot is for 500 yards. And as many of you EOTech owners already know, the bottom of the reticle is the holdover for 7 yards.

Generally, the 100 yard zero is the better short range zero as the space in between the two dots is dead on at 300 yards. The 50/200 yard zero is the better long range zero because the second dot is good for 500 yards and the space in between the two dots is close to 400 yards. It is best to take your load and see how they match up for you because bullet weight and velocity can change things slightly.

So with that info, I plugged it in to the JBM program and I came up with the distance/drop of the 2nd dot:

Ammo: M855.
    BC: .304.
    MV: 2900 FPS.
    Zero Range: 50 yards.
    Sight Height: 2.6".
    2nd dot: -2.8 MILS/-9.7 MOA.

TRAJECTORY EXAMPLES WITH A 100 YARD ZERO:
    Ammo: M193.
    BC: .243.
    MV: 3130 FPS. (16" barrel).
    Zero Range: 100 yards.

Ammo: Hornady NATO 75 GR BTHP W/C T2. (MK262 will be nearly identical.).
    BC: .355.
    MV: 2700 FPS. (16" barrel).
    Zero Range: 100 yards.

TRAJECTORY EXAMPLES WITH A 50/200 YARD ZERO:

Ammo: M193.
    BC: .243.
    MV: 3130 FPS. (16" barrel).
    Zero Range: 50/200 yards.

Ammo: Hornady NATO 75 GR BTHP W/C T2. (MK262 will be nearly identical.).
    BC: .355.
    MV: 2700 FPS. (16" barrel).
    Zero Range: 50/200 yards.

RESULTS:
    I went to the 300 yard range to see how the BDC reticle matched up. From my calculations using the handloads of the Hornady 55 GR FMJ/BT with a MV of 2900 FPS, 300 yards should have been right between both dots. I did 3 10 round shot groups using the FBI man sized targets and it was dead on at 300 yards. If you have an FBI target, at 300 yards, place the center dot on the top of the paper and the lower dot on the bottom of the papaer and pull the trigger and it will strike right in the center. So for any target, just place the target right in between the two dots at 300 yards and you will be on. With the Aimpoint 3xMagnifier I had no problem seing the target at 300 yards.

BATTERY TEST:
    The EOTech XPS 3-2 has a reported battery life of 600 hours on setting # 12, which is the standard setting when you turn on the EOTech. So in theory, if I turn on the EOTech XPS 3-2 everyday using the 8-hour setting, the battery should last me 75 straight days. I started the battery test on 12-18-09 and I sold the EOTech in late March, which was over 75 days, and it was still on the original battery. So, the battery life of 600 hours is pretty accurate.

CONCLUSION:
    After owning the EOTech XPS 3-2 for a few months and using it, I decided to sell it. The second dot just got too annoying after a while. I really like the new XPS Series and I think EOTech has finally got it right, but if given a choice again, I would have just purchased the XPS 3-0 instead.

Downloads
    Uploads
    XPS3-2

Operation
    • Optics: Transmission holography - parallax free
    • Magnification: 1x
    • Eye Relief: Unlimited
    • Length/Width/Height: 3.75"x2.4"x2.4" (95.25X60.96x60.96)
    • Weight: 8.8 oz (250 grams)
    • Temperature: -40 to 150 F
    • Waterproof: Submersible to 33 ft depth
    • Sealing: Fogproof internal optics
    • Color/Finish: Non reflective black with hard coat finish
    • Adjustment (per click): 0.5 MOA (1/2" at 100 yds)
    • Adjustment Range: +/- 40 MOA travel
    • Mount: 1" Weaver or Picatinny (MIL-STD-1913) rail
    • Return to Zero: Repeatable to 2 MOA after re-mounting
    • Night Vision Comatibility: yes, 10 setting (generation i-iii+)
    Heads-Up-Display Window
    • Optical Surfaces: Anti-glare coating
    • Window Dimensions: 1.20" x 0.85" (30 x 23mm)
    • Front Window Material: 1/8" solid glass
    • Rear Window Material: Shatter resistant laminate (3/16" thick)
    • Field of View (100 yds): 30 yds (28m) at a 4" eye relief
    • Reticle Options: two 1MOA dots with a 65 MOA circle with quadrant ticks
    Electrical
    • Brightness Adjustment Range: 146,000:1 brightest to lowest
    • Night Vision Brightness Range: 1280:1 with NV switch engaged
    • Power Source: (1) 123 lithium battery
    • Battery Life: 600 continuous hours at nominal setting 12
    • Brightness Settings: 30 settings with scrolling feature (10 settings for NV use)
    • Auto Battery Check Indicator: Flashing reticle upon start-up
    • Auto Shut-down: At 8 hrs- programmable to 4 hrs
    Shortest model sight yet! This sight is smaller than the former N-cell battery sight (511/551) and runs on a single 123 battery. It also has a longer battery life than the N-cell style sights. Smaller,lighter and always fast with three reticle options. With the new single battery configuration, the XPS allows more rail space than ever, leaving more room for rear iron sights or NV mount.
    • Single transverse 123 battery to reduce sight length
    • Shortened base only requires at most 2 3/4 inch of rail space compared to the 4 inch N battery sights
    • Battery cap and latch are eliminated and replaced with a simple O-ring, tethered cap; better sealing is achieved
    • Battery compartment is now separated from the base to allow it to hover over the delta ring of the rifle
    • Average battery life at brightness level 12 is roughly 500-600 hours, 3X battery life of N cell sights
    • Three reticle options: 0- 65MOA circle with 1 MOA aiming dot, 1-single 1MOA aiming dot, 2-65MOA circle with two 1MOA aiming dots
    • Available in Night Vision (XPS3) and non- Night Vision (XPS2) versions. The numbers reflect the number of the buttons on the back of the sight.