Thread: BCG question

Downloads
    Uploads

BCG question

I want to upgrade my BCG in my DPMS AP4. Am I right when I say that I can switch to a completely different BCG and have no problems? I should be able to pull out my existing BCG and insert one made by RRA fire a string with no problems and switch to a BCG made by LMT and do the same right? Any help with my brain fart will be appreciated.

2is1

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are interchangeable so you can switch them out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    yes they are interchangeable, but if you want to UPGRADE there are things to look for.

-A properly staked gas key
    -High Pressure Tested/Magnetic Particle Inspected bolt

Now,
    MPI testing doesn't mean crap unless the bolt was HPTed first. You can tell if the bolt has been HPT if there is left over brass on the bolt face and possible carbon on the bolt tail. (this may not apply for chrome or Ion-bonded bolts because the process will remove brass and carbon before plating.)

So if you want to UPGRADE look/ask if the gas key is staked, and the bolt has been HPT AND MPI test. HPT and MPI need to be together.

While this is my opinion....If your just out on the range plinking then I wouldn't worry about.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 2is1 View Post
    I want to upgrade my BCG in my DPMS AP4. Am I right when I say that I can switch to a completely different BCG and have no problems? I should be able to pull out my existing BCG and insert one made by RRA fire a string with no problems and switch to a BCG made by LMT and do the same right? Any help with my brain fart will be appreciated.

2is1

I wouldn't go swapping them out on a regular basis. Get something decent, and stick with it. The bolt and barrel extension will eventually wear together.